Embrace the SUCK: Skallagrim's Unexpurgated Colour Key

Welcome to the forum, Vuu! This is one of the best colour schemes on the site and I always (try to) use it for maps etc.

Would you like to contribute to this collaborative future TL, maybe? You won't have to read all 414 pages, but on the last pages there are some good maps and overviews (from page 380 or so onwards).

On the long list of things I’ve talked to you about that I never thought I would have to, let’s add this. Please don’t try to hijack other people’s threads to advertise your own.

Dorozhand

Banned
I've found the various color schemes on this site useful sometimes, but for the most part I find it much easier to just use the RGB selector on Paint to produce a new useable color. The trick is balancing the use of similar colors so that they are geographically removed from one another to avoid confusion in reading, and in the process you can aestheticize the map and create a stained-glass-y effect.

EDIT: Skallagrim's work is fantastic though. This is sure to be of much use to many in the community.

EDIT: Sorry I posted to a three month old thread. I'm not even sure how I got here.

Hun_2013

Banned
Ofc he moves, for goodness sake, what have I done.
A territory of a princely state could cover it I imagine
Just one more question: Which of these colours do I use for puppet states, client states, vassal states, and tributary states?
Colours.png

Depends how you define each, ik the feeling of wanting to get it right first time, but people, if they see fault will offer advice or question your choice.

If you can justify your choice, that's fine, just keep consistent, and learn from any mistakes you might make.

Now please stop the questions, many people, including the mod team, have told you that you are becoming at least aggrevating, and some say you are a troll. So map, and let us see what you have learnt. This community is very supportive, so I am sure they'll offer advice if you stumble.

So good luck, good day, and have fun

Just one more question: Which of these colours do I use for puppet states, client states, vassal states, and tributary states?
View attachment 451971
As others have said, just do whatever. The maps I've made recently I've been doing (to my knowledge) all of them as what would be 4, although it is for an animation rather than an individual map. If you're making a map or map series, I'd probably use 2.
Like ML said, it's really tempting to try and get it perfect the first time, but remember a couple of things:
1. No-one will no or care if you don't follow the scheme perfectly. Half of the people won't know the colour scheme you're using. Just do what you like, and no-one will mind. It's better to make something the way you like than worry about making it correct. (Hint: This is art, you can't be correct)

2. It's your map, do what you want. Going off point 1, this is for your enjoyment hopefully. If you decide France should be purple and Prussia should be a hot pink, that's fine. If you like it, it's all good.

3. If you want advice, the best thing to do is make your map. If you need help half way through, clip a small part of the map around the area, and post it so people can see it. If you need help for a bigger thing, just post the whole map. You can do both of these in the WIP Map Thread here. People will give you feedback (People always will), and most if not all will be constructive. Once it's done, post it on the current Map Thread (pinned in the forum Alternate History Maps and Graphics thread) and ask for feedback. If you want an opinion on a particular thing, point it out and ask.

Finally, make sure you're having fun. If you're not enjoying making maps, there's literally no point doing it.
Good luck ;)

Hun_2013

Banned
Depends how you define each, ik the feeling of wanting to get it right first time, but people, if they see fault will offer advice or question your choice.

If you can justify your choice, that's fine, just keep consistent, and learn from any mistakes you might make.

Now please stop the questions, many people, including the mod team, have told you that you are becoming at least aggrevating, and some say you are a troll. So map, and let us see what you have learnt. This community is very supportive, so I am sure they'll offer advice if you stumble.

So good luck, good day, and have fun
I already apologized to CalBear and he accepted. I will not be troll anymore.