Embrace the SUCK: Skallagrim's Unexpurgated Colour Key

Hapsburg

Banned
I get why people want more complex color keys, but for colorblind people me they're just the worst. The Thandean family of color schemes work, especially the UCS and the RCS, because of its simplicity and clarity; virtually ever color was distinct, and sharply so. All of these gradiated shades get, to me, very difficult to tell apart sometimes. And I admit, that's entirely because of my disability.

I get why people want more complex color keys, but for colorblind people me they're just the worst. The Thandean family of color schemes work, especially the UCS and the RCS, because of its simplicity and clarity; virtually ever color was distinct, and sharply so. All of these gradiated shades get, to me, very difficult to tell apart sometimes. And I admit, that's entirely because of my disability.
IMO, this really is an important thing for anyone planning to make color schemes (unless it's a really really stupid scheme!) to take into account. Colorblind people exist, and they don't all have special glasses that something something cool thing.

Skallagrim

Banned

IMO, this really is an important thing for anyone planning to make color schemes (unless it's a really really stupid scheme!) to take into account. Colorblind people exist, and they don't all have special glasses that something something cool thing.

It's clear that a colour key using many, many shades isn't useful for colourblind people. This is the second time that a colourblind person has posted here specifically to make that known. I'll say what I said the first time:

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have quite clearly written that I made this colour key with my own wishes and preferences in mind. I didn't consider what others may want or need, because it was first and foremost an instrument for my own use. If there are others who enjoy it, too, so much the better. But I don't aim to impose my preferences at all, nor should I like the preferences of others to be imposed on me.

That puts me in a bit of a pickle when someone with other preferences or needs tells me that "X should only be made in this or that way". I must disagree. Without seeking to offend anyone, I'll simply continue to do things as I see fit, and I invite others to do things as they see fit. To be honest, I can't even really picture what you see, and how you perceive certain shades. Basically, the only person who could probably make a scheme that's just right for colourblind people would be a colourblind person. If such a thing is made, I will applaud it! But I wouldn't know where to start.

Bottom line: I'm sorry my colour key isn't what you want or need, but it is what I want and need. If you want your own alternative, I suggest you do what I did: make it! (It's very enjoyable, in my experience, and I learned a lot from it.)

...so, no, I don't think that my failure to take the needs of others into account is "really, really stupid"-- nor do I feel in any way obligated to take those needs into account. This colour key is specifically designed to use as many shades as possible. If that's not what you want, you've simply come to the wrong place.

I do not mean to sound dismissive, but really-- Suppose a man likes to paint using lots of colours, and the typical supply shops for painters don't carry enough hues. So he mixes his own additional paints. And others like that, so he opens his own shop to sell these new paints, to allow others to create paintings with countless hues. And then some guy comes in who can't enjoy those shades, and complains about it. What's the man running the store supposed to do? Close his business because there are people who don't want his product? Get real! (And in this case, I'm not even selling: I'm making all this available for free. If I had paying customers, I'd be accountable to their tastes, or I'd go out of business. But since I'm doing this for free, I am - and will remain - accountable only to myself.)

It's clear that a colour key using many, many shades isn't useful for colourblind people. This is the second time that a colourblind person has posted here specifically to make that known. I'll say what I said the first time:

...so, no, I don't think that my failure to take the needs of others into account is "really, really stupid"-- nor do I feel in any way obligated to take those needs into account. This colour key is specifically designed to use as many shades as possible. If that's not what you want, you've simply come to the wrong place.

I do not mean to sound dismissive, but really-- Suppose a man likes to paint using lots of colours, and the typical supply shops for painters don't carry enough hues. So he mixes his own additional paints. And others like that, so he opens his own shop to sell these new paints, to allow others to create paintings with countless hues. And then some guy comes in who can't enjoy those shades, and complains about it. What's the man running the store supposed to do? Close his business because there are people who don't want his product? Get real! (And in this case, I'm not even selling: I'm making all this available for free. If I had paying customers, I'd be accountable to their tastes, or I'd go out of business. But since I'm doing this for free, I am - and will remain - accountable only to myself.)
If a colour isn't "fitting" or too "close to another color", you can also just go and CIWYL, Like I did with belarus and that east Serbian dialect thing (lighter Serbia shade).
The purple of belarus looked odd in that map so I chose to color it in the "other radical Russia" color. It's not like it's necessary to color them accordingly to the scheme...

(Btw @Skallagrim, I have a proposal: Other radical Russia color should be called Monarchist Belarus as well, so we have Monarchist Ukraine and Monarchist Belarus :))

I apologize- By saying "really, really stupid" I meant any scheme made to be a shitpost. I agree with your assessment.

I personally like this colour scheme. If anyone has problems with it, you can use a different colour scheme, or substitute for a different colour. Sorry if I sound rude, just trying to help.

Hapsburg

Banned
I don't think it's stupid. It's just not my bag. I was making a comment more towards the plethora of color schemes, and my reasoning for continuing to use the RCS.

Well, Wu Sangui did proclaim a Zhou Dynasty a few months before he died, so, I think that his revolt should have it's own color.
By that standard, we might as well give every little insignificant declarations of dynasties their own color. I would say there is no need to give a "dynasty" that was around for months any special consideration.

By that standard, we might as well give every little insignificant declarations of dynasties their own color. I would say there is no need to give a "dynasty" that was around for months any special consideration.
Fair enough. Also, what about a color for Yuan Shikai's Empire of China or "Independent Chinese state in Central Asia" (it would be good for representing the Guiyi Circuit during the time it was an independent kingdom post-Tang collapse or the Anxi Protectorate when it was cut off from communications with Tang China).

Last edited:
Fair enough. Also, what about a color for Yuan Shikai's Empire of China

Probably "Far-Right China," although you have a point with that particular entity. Maybe a "Monarchist China" might be best.

or "Independent Chinese state in Central Asia" (it would be good for representing the Guiyi Circuit during the time it was an independent kingdom post-Tang collapse or the Anxi Protectorate when it was cut off from communications with Tang China).

"Other Western Central Asian Country" would be the best bet (The Near East and Middle East)

I am back to post M-BAM Europe coloured using this colour scheme. I have not made any of this, all I have done is coloured it.
Europe, SUCK.png