Eisenhower in the Pacific: Part 1 The Shoestring Warriors of Luzon

However by January 20 Eisenhower is under pressure to move from the Philippines to Australia, as he has responsibility for all US Army forces not only in the Philippines, but also in the Dutch East Indies and Australia and although he delays as long as he can, by February 1 a Presidential Order from Washington DC arrives directing him to move his headquarters post haste.

Jan. 20 to Feb.1? So soon? Why does FDR move so much earlier in this timeline versus how he acted with MacArthur (where the ball for evacuation did not start until after Singapore fell on February 15)?

Driftless

Donor
Jan. 20 to Feb.1? So soon? Why does FDR move so much earlier in this timeline versus how he acted with MacArthur (where the ball for evacuation did not start until after Singapore fell on February 15)?

I'd guess that Ike has shown great adaptability, organizational skill, and leadership in a really tough spot and the situation isn't as immediately bleak as history. So, he has real work to be done in the larger theater - right away. Wainright will lead the fight on Bataan, but there are several other operations to be kept in perspective and controlled.

senior officer losses in this Pacific War have been pretty high... thus far in the Philippines Krueger, Hart, and Frank killed or wounded, while in the Hawaiian battles Richardson, Halsey, and Pye killed or wounded.

Not losing accomplished officers has become a priority

plus some things happen between December 15 -31st that matter that I haven't posted yet

senior officer losses in this Pacific War have been pretty high... thus far in the Philippines Krueger, Hart, and Frank killed or wounded, while in the Hawaiian battles Richardson, Halsey, and Pye killed or wounded.

OK. That's a fair point. Plausible.

plus some things happen between December 15 -31st that matter that I haven't posted yet

Hate to keep bringing this up, but at this point in the narrative, what was there in his resume that would cause Eisenhower to be included in the group, "accomplished officers"?

Hate to keep bringing this up, but at this point in the narrative, what was there in his resume that would cause Eisenhower to be included in the group, "accomplished officers"?
He had Pershing's ear, that much I know. At least he would have, when Pershing was alive. He also worked well with McArthur, albeit it was sometimes strained. IOTL he also had Marshall's backing, but much of that stemmed from his time working under him in the War Planning Division right after Pearl Harbor. I can't recall if he and Marshall had a rapport prior to that.

Driftless

Donor

At this point in the war - one month in, who has more command experience in actual modern combat - at least in this decade? (and is alive and moving under his own power)

Assuming that as in the Original Timeline with MacArthur, as most senior officer in the area Eisenhower is privy to the US' regional codebreaking efforts, the Washington administration has to either evacuate or shoot him at some point, to make sure that he doesn't fall into Japanese hands and spill what he knows under interrogation. (As indeed, do any and all US signals intercept/codebreaking personnel in the Philippines have to similarly go, who know 'too much'.)

Assuming that as in the Original Timeline with MacArthur, as most senior officer in the area Eisenhower is privy to the US' regional codebreaking efforts, the Washington administration has to either evacuate or shoot him at some point, to make sure that he doesn't fall into Japanese hands and spill what he knows under interrogation. (As indeed, do any and all US signals intercept/codebreaking personnel in the Philippines have to similarly go, who know 'too much'.)

Yes, he is fully aware of MAGIC, and indeed some of those codebreakers and signals staff are still at Corregidor. They are a very high priority for evacuation.

His withdrawal to Bataan is being considered successful and thus as close to a victory as it gets at this point. Particularly considering that on December 7 he was not in command and ended up in command due to his boss being knocked at of action.. He also, along with General Ord, have more experience in the Far East than any other army officers and that alone is highly valuable.

Here's what I see at this point (and I know I'm beating a dead horse in a couple of ways, but I think we all need to be reminded...)

There has been a better managed withdrawal into Battan...food supplies are adequate and key items and medical supplies are still inbound in small quantities.

A critical item to my thinking is that wounded are still being evacuated, which means that medical supplies on hand will last longer...

Question for GB, were the ammo stocks in Manila Castle evacuated? OTL, they were blown up and per the account I read it was a 6 month supply of small arms ammo...

Here's what I see at this point (and I know I'm beating a dead horse in a couple of ways, but I think we all need to be reminded...)

There has been a better managed withdrawal into Battan...food supplies are adequate and key items and medical supplies are still inbound in small quantities.

A critical item to my thinking is that wounded are still being evacuated, which means that medical supplies on hand will last longer...

Question for GB, were the ammo stocks in Manila Castle evacuated? OTL, they were blown up and per the account I read it was a 6 month supply of small arms ammo...

ammunition was a very high priority and much was moved prewar to Corregidor and Mariveles but in the post on the withdrawal ammunition was specifically mentioned as being moved urgently

This is an important consideration.

And one wonders how much it factored into MacArthur's evacuation order in OTL.

This is an important consideration.

And one wonders how much it factored into MacArthur's evacuation order in OTL.
I thnk MacArthur's evac mission was mostly due to his prominence.

ITTL, Ike's evac mission is due to experience and being one of the very few generals that are not dead that have fought the Japanese and scored some victories in the process.

I can relate to this post, I was in USAFSS in the 60's...

Otherwise, I suppose if you're looking for a hero...he'll do...