Egyptians colonizing Greece during the Middle Kingdom

Link to map

This month I've been working on a novel set in an alternate timeline wherein the ancient Egyptians colonized the coast of Greece circa 1900 BC, during their Middle Kingdom. The inspiration for this premise comes from certain legends the Greeks had about Egyptians settling on their shores (e.g. the "black doves" of Dodona and the daughters of Danaus). However, the actual story takes place three centuries after the initial colonization, with the Egyptian colony being cut off from its mother country by the Hyksos takeover of northern Egypt and then facing destruction at the hands of a Mycenaean Greek insurgency.

Anyway, at the moment I am trying to get a better sense of how this Egyptian colony in Greece came to be. What, for example, would have motivated its founding. The scenario I originally envisioned was that the colony was meant as a trading port, as a means of extracting native Greek resources, and as a bulwark against piracy in the Aegean region. However, my mom suggested that I make the Egyptian colonists refugees of the Hyksos invasion in 1650 BC, although personally I would think any northern Egyptians fleeing the Hyksos would head south (towards Upper Egypt) rather than across the Mediterranean to the north.

Any thoughts or suggestions about this scenario?

Last edited:
There's a possible little roadblock that occurred to me about my alt-history scenario, namely the seafaring capabilities of ancient Egyptians. More specifically, the ability of their galleys to cross the open Mediterranean to get from Egypt to Greece. I've heard that ancient Egyptians (think Old to New Kingdom here) tended to sail close to the coast when out at sea, apparently because their ships were not well-suited to crossing the open ocean for some reason. Is this true? If so, a sailing trip straight across the Mediterranean to Greece might have been beyond their capability. Instead, they'd have to sail along the whole eastern Mediterranean and Aegean coast to get to mainland Greece, which would be more trouble than it would be worth.

I believe Eric Cline mentions records of the New Kingdom sending voyages to Crete and mainland Greece in his book 1177 B.C., so it seems that they had gotten at least some open-water ability by then, or at least found it sufficiently worthwhile to go to the trouble of sailing around the eastern littoral. Obviously, provided I am recalling correctly, this would tend to support your scenario of an Egyptian trading outpost, since at least later the Egyptians found things worth trading for there.

Albert.Nik

Banned
Could be possible.Greece needed good shipping and transport capabilities. Levant and Anatolia was already ruled by various kingdoms by then. Mitanni,Hittite,etc would all be attracted as settlers and come and join the neo Egyptian Empire. Greece wasn't empty either.