Effects on Society without a Self-Help industry.

Hello! I have been wondering about this for sometime. Given the effects that the Self-Help "industry" (Literature, speakers, etc.) has on our society. What if did not exist? Would society be in a worse shape? or in a better one?

To have self-help never exist in the first place, you would need a society so radically different from the one we have, it would be almost unrecognizable.

Like, eg. no Reformation and Enlightenment, so everyone still relies on the Church for basic guidance in life. (Not that that would be the only way to a No Self-Help world, just an illustration of how radically different history would have to be.)

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . Would society be in a worse shape? or in a better one?
. . . Like, eg. no Reformation and Enlightenment, so everyone still relies on the Church for basic guidance in life. . .
First off, Hi, welcome to Alternate History. I hold you enjoy your stay. :)

And overoceans is right about having no self-help industry at all would require radical changes indeed. But how about just more of a PRO-AUTHORITY society and outlook in general? If so, then perhaps:

The whole Freudian approach is slower getting started but has more of a hey day if it does. This is the approach that, for example, for decades blamed autism on bad mothering. So yeah, in my universe, this would a change for the worse.

Probably earlier research on anti-depressants. Still probably trial and error in a respectful sense, since everyone’s biochem is a little different after all. But maybe somewhat less than 8 weeks to tell if a medication is going to work for a particular patient, and maybe somewhat less harm when a patient goes cold turkey (still advised to taper off). So, positive changes.

On the business and economics front . . . maybe somewhat less emphasis on sales?