Effects on Christianity, Ottoman Italy

No, just no, Trinity is one of the fundamental aspect of Catholism and Protestantism, trying to leave that behind, would universal make them be seen as fullblown heretics, rather than Ottoman studges.
I wouldn't expect the OCC to repudiate Trinitarianism; I was more wondering if the Ottomans would support or at least not persecute things like TTL's Socinianism equivalent in addition to supporting a more normative Church.

Valdemar II

Banned
I wouldn't expect the OCC to repudiate Trinitarianism; I was more wondering if the Ottomans would support or at least not persecute things like TTL's Socinianism equivalent in addition to supporting a more normative Church.

They didn't seem to have a interest in that in the Othodox Church, and I honestly think the Ottomans has better sense than trying to provoke a internal feud in their Catholic Church. Of course they may force the Ottoman Catholic to tolerate these groups outside the Church, but trying to support them, no that wouldn't end well.

They didn't seem to have a interest in that in the Othodox Church, and I honestly think the Ottomans has better sense than trying to provoke a internal feud in their Catholic Church. Of course they may force the Ottoman Catholic to tolerate these groups outside the Church, but trying to support them, no that wouldn't end well.
This brings up an interesting question; If the Ottomans have a Catholic Church of their own how are they going to react to Protestants many of whom are at least nominally heterodox members of the Catholic Millet?

OTL Protestant-Ottoman relations seem to have been at least passable and I would think those *Protestants who identify themselves as a separate confessional community would not be significantly bothered. On the other hand those *Protestants who are challenging traditional Catholicism from within may be seen as rebelling against the Porte.

Valdemar II

Banned
This brings up an interesting question; If the Ottomans have a Catholic Church of their own how are they going to react to Protestants many of whom are at least nominally heterodox members of the Catholic Millet?

OTL Protestant-Ottoman relations seem to have been at least passable and I would think those *Protestants who identify themselves as a separate confessional community would not be significantly bothered. On the other hand those *Protestants who are challenging traditional Catholicism from within may be seen as rebelling against the Porte.

It also depend on their level of heteodoxcy, alt. Lutherans is close enough to Catholism, that they may just be seen by the Ottoman Pope as healthy discussion (especially because the Popes secular power are weaker), while alt. Calvinist and Anababtist will be seen fullblown heretics. But if they sell themself as a variation of Christianity outside the Catholic Church they may be ignored by secular regime.

Any ideas as to the long term prospects of the Churches or to the doctrines they will promulgate?

I think the OCC may survive in Ottoman lands after the fall of Italy and the Italian *Catholics will select a new Pope/Patriarch of Rome or assimilate into the Spanish/French/Germanic/English/Kalmar Catholic Church depending on how far they have diverged. I also think that by the time Italy is recaptured (150-200 years) complete reunion seems unlikely. Perhaps the politically and doctrinally similar Churches will form common communions but I doubt the monarchs of Europe would be pleased by the loss of political capital having the voice of God on the payroll provides.

Valdemar II

Banned
Any ideas as to the long term prospects of the Churches or to the doctrines they will promulgate?

I think the OCC may survive in Ottoman lands after the fall of Italy and the Italian *Catholics will select a new Pope/Patriarch of Rome or assimilate into the Spanish/French/Germanic/English/Kalmar Catholic Church depending on how far they have diverged. I also think that by the time Italy is recaptured (150-200 years) complete reunion seems unlikely. Perhaps the politically and doctrinally similar Churches will form common communions but I doubt the monarchs of Europe would be pleased by the loss of political capital having the voice of God on the payroll provides.

I think you're correct, of course they may adopt some kind of Othodox position, where the Roman Pope become Primus Pater (first among equals), of course that could lead to a union with different Othodox Churches (the ones outside the Ottoman Empire), resulting in the Irony that the only place the Catholic and Othodox Church isn't in Union is the Ottoman Empire.

Last edited: