Effects of No Munroe Doctrine?

As the title says, what would happen if there had been no Munroe Doctrine (or at least the US was incapable of enforcing it in any way). Would we see South America back under the rule of European powers, or just a bit more mucking about?

Last edited:
As the title says, what would happen if there had been no Munroe Doctorine (or at least the US was incapable of enforcing it in any way). Would we see South America back under the rule of European powers, or just a bit more mucking about?

"Monroe Doctrine." And probably you would have a South America which was even more chaotic than it was with just the US interfering. I expect WW1 and WW2 would have brought action there, as well.

I had always thought that the Munroe Doctorine worked at first because Britain supported it as America was not really equiped in 1823 to fight a European power away from US territory.

My feeling is that there would not be much difference as Britain would still enforce the rule (even if it was unsaid). The biggest difference I can see is in the Americans themselves, remove the Doctorine and yet another reason for looking outwards is removed and the US becomes even more insular.

I had always thought that the Monroe Doctrine worked at first because Britain supported it as America was not really equipped in 1823 to fight a European power away from US territory.
Pretty much. From what little I've read it was mostly a British idea that they offered to make a joint declaration on but the US declined and did it by themselves, whilst people knew that it was the British and the Royal Navy that actually enforced it. Sooner or later though as their power increases the US is going to try and position themselves as the regional power and look to start exerting influence over the Americas, no Monroe doctrine in the 1820s probably just delays it a while.

Minimal at first, because as others have noted, the US essentially had no ability to enforce it until the late 19th century. It worked because it was also in Britain's interest. The main effect is that the Monroe Doctrine formed the basis of the "Roosevelt Corollary" from the turn of the century into the 1970s. The Monroe Doctrine, so modified, gave some quasi-legitimacy to US intervention in central america whenever local regimes either became unstable, were in risk of economic default, or leaned diplomatically toward potentially enemy European powers. Perhaps, without the Monroe Doctrine that in effect created the notion that the new world was a US protectorate, the US habit of intervening in latin america would never have occurred.

Monroe's Doctrine is a joke. Eduardo Prado in "A Ilusão Americana" makes it clear Monroe's Doctrine exempts Europeans and their colonies. Belize, the bombardment of Val Paraiso and many many many other things come to mind.

Monroe's Doctrine only started existing in the end of the 19th Century.

As the title says, what would happen if there had been no Munroe Doctrine…

With no Munroe Doctrine, we get overrun by pointless color schemes and wars over which countries are which colors. Eventually no one can tell what's going on in anyone else's maps and everyone becomes isolationist, cutting off exports and starving their own creative consciousnesses.