Effects of Confederate Victory in ACW on European imperialism in the new world?

There are hundreds of threads ctalking about the american civil war, and how if it had gone differently, it would have affected america. But, I am more interested in what a divided US means for Europe. OTL, France used the turmoil of the American Civil War to intervene in Mexico, and Spain used this time to reinvade the Dominican Republic. Both projects ended in failure, but arguably, a contributing factor to that failure was the Union victory in the ACW, and the reimposition of the Monroe Doctrine preventing these countries putting more effort into their new world adventures. With the US officially divided into two weaker states, would we see European powers show a renewed interest in latin america? Would the USA and CSA be able to stop this? Which European powers would stand to benefit the most from this?

The UK will still try to ward off powers that threaten the many new world states where it has market dominance. If anything I expect to see more Mexico style intervention and regime change over debt repayment.

Spain can probably keep Puerto Rico but Cuba is completely another thing.
Because of the independence movements in the late 19th century?
The UK will still try to ward off powers that threaten the many new world states where it has market dominance. If anything I expect to see more Mexico style intervention and regime change over debt repayment.
And will the british be succesful in stopping the other europeans? Wasn't there also Belgium that tried to form a colony in Guatemala? And, I can't remember wehre I read it, but, didn't Britain itself have something of an interest in Patagonia?

Also, unrelated to the responses thus far, but, what does a divided America mean for Alaska. Will the Russians still sell it? To whom?

Because of the independence movements in the late 19th century?

Probably that way. Another way is that CSA will purchase or even outright conquer the island but this seems bit unlikely since USA and Britain probably wouldn't allow that.

Also, unrelated to the responses thus far, but, what does a divided America mean for Alaska. Will the Russians still sell it? To whom?

Russia probably try to sell Alaska at least firstly but not sure would USA still buy that. Another option woudl be Britain but I am not sure would Russia agree to do that.

If France's Mexican adventure is successful I could totally them try and prop up the Kingdom of Auracania and Patagonia assuming Prussia doesn't come knocking.

Probably that way. Another way is that CSA will purchase or even outright conquer the island but this seems bit unlikely since USA and Britain probably wouldn't allow that.
to be honest i doubt the confederacy would have the means to do either by the time spain is vulnerable to either

Spain returned to the Dominican Republic because the Dominican rulers believed that this would mean getting rid of their debts. A stupid move that I honestly don't understand why they played along. What matters is that the United States did little to nothing to help the Dominicans drive out the Spanish.

In any case, you could see the Dominicans decide that they would rather be Spanish than risk being immediately attacked and enslaved by the British-backed victorious CSA (one of the main reasons for the Dominican resistance was the fear that the Spanish would enslave them - given that Spain back then had not abolished slavery in the Caribbean I guess it makes sense that they believed that even if it didn't seem to be in the plans-).

As for Puerto Rico, since it did not have a noteworthy independence movement, it could have been preserved. The problem would have been Cuba, which, as noted, had a well-established nationalist resistance movement.

It is certain that the cutting off of American funding (which in any case began around 1870), while it would have caused them problems, would not have stopped them or forced them to disband, because nationalist movements generally do not function around to receive foreign funds, nor do people suddenly decide "you know, I think this nationalism is bullshit, it's much better to be treated like the biggest piece of garbage by my colonial power, at least they have money!".

No, the CSA would not have financed the Cubans, they would horribly loathe the idea of paying "armed blacks" in case their own slaves "gain ideas"

On French imperialism in Mexico, I could see the CSA supporting France simply because they hate the idea of a Mexican Republic aligning itself with the United States and encircling them on two fronts.

As for the British Empire, the "balance of power theory" which is treated as quasi-religious dogma and which is supposedly the main guideline of British foreign policy states that its main priority is to prevent wars in Europe and to be totally indifferent to what is happening in the New World. (Except when they try to provoke wars in the name of forcing countries to submit).

With the US officially divided into two weaker states, would we see European powers show a renewed interest in Latin America? Would the USA and CSA be able to stop this? Which European powers would stand to benefit the most from this?
The Spanish were pretty active in Latin America in 1865, especially in regard to Peru and Chile as this Wikipedia article about the Chinca Islands War illustrates. (See QUOTE below). During this war Great Britain and the United States(which had won the American Civil War by this time) were neutral for the most part. This British and American neutrality could happen in other conflicts. Earlier when the French invaded Mexico, the British fleet that was with the French, withdrew and Great Britain did not interfere with the French invasion.

But, had the United States split into two countries, its influence and probable will and ability to intervene in Latin American affairs would have been diminished. As this map from the Wikipedia article on the Chincha Islands War shows, there were many border quarrels which could no doubt be exploited by the European powers to acquire spheres of influence.
SouthAmerica1865_ChinchaIslandsWar.png

The Wikipedia article mentions the on-going Paraguayan War where Paraguay was fighting against Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. Just a few years later the War of the Pacific would be fought by Chile against Peru and Bolivia. And a few years after that the newly unified European countries of Germany and Italy would be joining other nations in seeking colonies and spheres of influence. Another Wikipedia article, “Imperial German Influence On Republican Chile, shows this “soft” power.

I think this shows that European nations could have probably intervened in Latin America, depending on how they did it and especially if the United States was divided into two countries. This was years before the Venezuelan Crisis of 1902 - 1903 where Great Britain, Germany and Italy blockaded Venezuela.
Wikipedia Chincha Islands War said:
((Spanish Vice Admiral)) Pareja arrived at Valparaiso((Chile)) on September 17, 1865 aboard his flagship the Villa de Madrid. He demanded for the Spanish flag to be given a 21-gun salute. He deliberately presented his demand on the day before Chilean National Day (September 18). Under the circumstances, the Chileans refused, and war was declared a week later on September 24.

The new Spanish prime minister, Leopoldo O'Donnell, who had replaced Narváez, ordered Pareja to withdraw, but the Spanish admiral chose to ignore the direct order. As he had no troops with which to attempt a landing, he decided to impose a blockade of the main Chilean ports. That action was unenforceable since a blockade of Chile's 1,800 miles (2,900 km) of coastline would have required a fleet that was several times larger than what Pareja had at his disposal. The blockade of the port of Valparaiso, however, caused such great economic damage to both Chilean and foreign interests that the navies of the United States and Great Britain, despite remaining neutral in the conflict, issued a formal protest.

…..Chile and Peru formally signed an alliance against Spain on December 5, 1865. The Peruvian Congress ratified the alliance on January 12, and two days later, Peru finally declared war on Spain. Chile's navy was weak and almost nonexistent. To reinforce its Chilean ally, a Peruvian squadron, commanded by Captain Lizardo Montero, was immediately dispatched to the south. Among the ships in the squadron were the steam frigates Amazonas and Apurímac.

Ecuador joined the alliance on January 30, 1866 by declaring war on Spain on that day. Bolivia, under the command of General Mariano Melgarejo, also declared war on March 22, 1866. The moves resulted in all ports on South America's Pacific coast becoming closed to the Spanish fleet. Argentina and Brazil refused to join the alliance, as they were embroiled in a war with Paraguay.

….. Whether the suspicions of a Spanish scheme to recapture its former colonies had any basis in fact is unknown. Many in South America saw Spain's meddling in Latin America and its occupation of the Chincha Islands as proof of a long-range Spanish plot to reassert its influence over its previous colonial territories. The force sent by Spain, on the other hand, amounted to a mere squadron of ships with negligible capabilities for landing forces, and its intention may have been only to seize the islands for their valuable fertiliser resources as reparations and to regain some of Spain's lost prestige. Regardless of the reason behind the conflict, Spain found it impossible to hold its positions. With all ports south of Colombia closed to it for coaling and provisioning, the Spanish fleet withdrew from patrolling the South American coastline, vacated the Chincha Islands, and returned to Spain via the Philippines, completing a circumnavigation of the globe to do so.

Spain returned to the Dominican Republic because the Dominican rulers believed that this would mean getting rid of their debts. A stupid move that I honestly don't understand why they played along. What matters is that the United States did little to nothing to help the Dominicans drive out the Spanish.

In any case, you could see the Dominicans decide that they would rather be Spanish than risk being immediately attacked and enslaved by the British-backed victorious CSA (one of the main reasons for the Dominican resistance was the fear that the Spanish would enslave them - given that Spain back then had not abolished slavery in the Caribbean I guess it makes sense that they believed that even if it didn't seem to be in the plans-).

As for Puerto Rico, since it did not have a noteworthy independence movement, it could have been preserved. The problem would have been Cuba, which, as noted, had a well-established nationalist resistance movement.

It is certain that the cutting off of American funding (which in any case began around 1870), while it would have caused them problems, would not have stopped them or forced them to disband, because nationalist movements generally do not function around to receive foreign funds, nor do people suddenly decide "you know, I think this nationalism is bullshit, it's much better to be treated like the biggest piece of garbage by my colonial power, at least they have money!".

No, the CSA would not have financed the Cubans, they would horribly loathe the idea of paying "armed blacks" in case their own slaves "gain ideas"

On French imperialism in Mexico, I could see the CSA supporting France simply because they hate the idea of a Mexican Republic aligning itself with the United States and encircling them on two fronts.

As for the British Empire, the "balance of power theory" which is treated as quasi-religious dogma and which is supposedly the main guideline of British foreign policy states that its main priority is to prevent wars in Europe and to be totally indifferent to what is happening in the New World. (Except when they try to provoke wars in the name of forcing countries to submit).
Puerto Rico interests me the most out of all this tbh. It was ambivalent by the late 1890s about Spanish rule but wasn’t agitating for independence like Cuba’s long-running nationalist movement, but at some point PR is going to want more than just being Spain’s Hawaii. Do they become a full-on province, or just go their own way later down the line? (I’m assuming that Cuba and DR/Santo Domingo exit Spanish control at some point, either via peace or violence)

As far as the UK goes, a divided US is less likely to intervene in the Venezuela Crisis in 1895, meaning the border of British Guyana will probably be pushed farther west.

Mexico has already banned slavery by this point, though, and I don't really see Maximilian as being likely to change that. So there are going to be slaves escaping into Mexico, which will likely be a point of contention between Mexico and the CSA (in fact, quite a few slaves OTL escaped via the Underground Railroad to Mexico, to the point that Texas passed a law banning Mexicans from talking to slaves).

Also, if Maximilian is doing better, the US may decide to recognize imperial Mexico and try to cut a deal with them precisely because they realize it'd let them encircle the CSA on two fronts.

Last edited:
Puerto Rico interests me the most out of all this tbh. It was ambivalent by the late 1890s about Spanish rule but wasn’t agitating for independence like Cuba’s long-running nationalist movement, but at some point PR is going to want more than just being Spain’s Hawaii. Do they become a full-on province, or just go their own way later down the line? (I’m assuming that Cuba and DR/Santo Domingo exit Spanish control at some point, either via peace or violence)
Well, apparently Puerto Rico was already a full Spanish province from 1809 to 1814 and sent people to the Spanish Cortes from that time on. We could see that in this type of situation it is decided that it is a good idea to keep it as an autonomous province or a full Spanish province. Especially if Cuba and Santo Domingo separate again, making PR the only trace of Spanish presence in the Caribbean.

Well, apparently Puerto Rico was already a full Spanish province from 1809 to 1814 and sent people to the Spanish Cortes from that time on. We could see that in this type of situation it is decided that it is a good idea to keep it as an autonomous province or a full Spanish province. Especially if Cuba and Santo Domingo separate again, making PR the only trace of Spanish presence in the Caribbean.
Why’d PR cease being a full province post-1814?