Effects of a Single Carolina

Of the 50 states in the US, there were two pair of states (three if Dakota counts) that were once a single state before splitting. While I knew the Virginia one owes its thanks to the Civil War, I always thought the Carolina one was curious separation. After a little research, I found out it was because of two separate main centers and different disagreements that eventually led to the Crown splitting the two colonies into the Carolinas we know today.

But what if they weren't split up? Let's say, for whatever reason, the colony manages to stay more or less intact until the Revolutionary War? In addition to the potential butterflies during the War itself, what should we expect after the US is formed (assuming the war ends that way, of course)? Will the balance of the North and South have issues? If a Civil War does occur, will a single Carolina make a big impact? How will the US as a whole change?

What Say You!

Of the 50 states in the US, there were two pair of states (three if Dakota counts) that were once a single state before splitting. While I knew the Virginia one owes its thanks to the Civil War, I always thought the Carolina one was curious separation. After a little research, I found out it was because of two separate main centers and different disagreements that eventually led to the Crown splitting the two colonies into the Carolinas we know today.

But what if they weren't split up? Let's say, for whatever reason, the colony manages to stay more or less intact until the Revolutionary War? In addition to the potential butterflies during the War itself, what should we expect after the US is formed (assuming the war ends that way, of course)? Will the balance of the North and South have issues? If a Civil War does occur, will a single Carolina make a big impact? How will the US as a whole change?

What Say You!

I guess maybe you could find a way to make Charlotte more influential early on. It's practically in the middle of the region, and giving Charlotte a boost could serve as a catalyst for a united Carolina. :) Not sure how the ATL Civil War might be affected, though.

No "Great Compromise" about the Senate. Instead the ATL-Virginia Plan is used.

South more influential in the Senate, less influential in other areas.

No "Great Compromise" about the Senate. Instead the ATL-Virginia Plan is used.

South more influential in the Senate, less influential in other areas.

Just for the Senate, or the whole Randolph Plan?

Also, why? How does one Carolina immediately led to this? Wouldn't the south be weaker ITTL, as under the Articles states only had one vote each in the Congress. That's one less southern pick to press for a *Virginia plan.

There were more pairs, as far as i know. Ky used to be part of Virginia, Tennessee was part of North Carolina, Maine got territory from Massachusetts, so on.

and i'd say definitely a different start to the Civil War, or even a complete change in the conflict if it happens at all

That's not the only difference between them, it was also cultural.

South Carolina was initially descended from Whites who had previously been Slavers in the Caribbean while North Carolina was amix of those and people directly from Britain itself, and both had developed differently culturally, I mean afterall their's a reason S. Carolina was the first to secede and why even today it's a Hyper-safe Republican state while N. Carolina is only Republican leaning and was won by Obama and went Democratic a few times in the second half of the 20th century.

That's not the only difference between them, it was also cultural.

South Carolina was initially descended from Whites who had previously been Slavers in the Caribbean while North Carolina was amix of those and people directly from Britain itself, and both had developed differently culturally, I mean afterall their's a reason S. Carolina was the first to secede and why even today it's a Hyper-safe Republican state while N. Carolina is only Republican leaning and was won by Obama and went Democratic a few times in the second half of the 20th century.

Oh, could be a connection, I suppose. Maybe.

I recently visited the Carolinas and the split was somewhat inevitable. The first thing to consider is that North Carolina was rather unpopulated even as late as the revolutionary war. It was a boggy marshland in places, making over land transport difficult, and it didn't really have any ports. The area that was most settled was in the North, the settlers came from the North, it's major cash crop was tobacco rather than rice, and the main export routes went North to Richmond. For these reasons it was far more economically and socially entwined with Virginia rather than South Carolina.

why even today it's a Hyper-safe Republican state while N. Carolina is only Republican leaning and was won by Obama and went Democratic a few times in the second half of the 20th century.

Actually, the main reason North Carolina is competitive is because of the financial centre in Charlotte and the research centre in Raleigh bringing in Yankees, which, with the black vote, is enough to swing it for the Democrats on a good year. The indigenous southern whites are just as right wing as in South Carolina.