Effects of a majority-Black state in the US south

Hmmm, any way to get population exchanges between states? Not official perhaps, but... Hmmm. Maybe something with dividing the land of big plantations? Have some states (though it would probably be the federal government doing this) be more generous to freedmen in one place, while another helps out whites more. Not that many whites would want to do what they saw as ****** work, so they would need to turn into less plantation and more farm so they can do all the labor themselves. Maybe we should look up Male Rising and see what suggestions they had. Avoiding de facto ethnic cleansing would be preferably, and that timeline had a lovely line that “the ***** did more for us in four years than the planters did in forty” when the distribution of land helped both blacks and whites. Get enough of them onside to at least keep them semi content, especially if it means formerly disenfranchised areas of poor whites get to vote as well as receive infastructure money. Though given the terrain and demographics in the Deep South, it is not like any of them had a West Virginia analogue.

Reconstruction sticks in some deep south state. As a result, you see whites leaving it with blacks going to it.

SC, MS, AL strike me as most likely for this.

,,,and more important means whites more likely to win there? (South Carolina)

possibly. I could also see the reverse with South Carolina blacks maybe having better prospects than Mississippi because of more free people of color and literate blacks pre ACW, and fewer white people and being *the* southern state most hated by the north.
Now that I think about it your probably right. My reflex reaction though was that the other southern states would do more to keep South Carolina in the fold than they would for Mississippi.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
It's just not going to happen. The US is like 80% white at this point, and the vast majority of those didn't care about black people. Even many abolitionists were racists, they just viewed slavery as abhorrent no matter the race.

It's just not going to happen. The US is like 80% white at this point, and the vast majority of those didn't care about black people. Even many abolitionists were racists, they just viewed slavery as abhorrent no matter the race.
They would prefer that scenario if it could prevent a Great Migration to the North.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
@NedStark , meant to quote you sorry
The US didn't have the physical or social infrastructure to support a Great Migration prior to around the time it happened in OTL. In OTL the klan in the 1920's became very powerful in for example Indiana, which wasn't even in the Confederacy. Imagine how much more powerful the klan would have been if the Great Migration had happened earlier.
Edit: Dang it, and I lost my train of thought. My point really should be, the northern whites of the time aren't thinking, If the blacks don't have their own state, they'll swarm the north in 60 years. They're thinking, The blacks should be grateful they're not slaves anymore, we can't let them rule over whites!

Last edited: