Effect of No Nazi Germany on Austria

Supposing that, with a 1932 PoD, Hitler does not come to power in Germany, but Engelbert Dollfuss still becomes Chancellor of Austria. Does the former have have effect on decision making on the latter? If so, what are the effects on Austria?
Thinking about this lately -- if Hitler doesn't come to power in Germany early 1933, does this mean Engelbert Dollfuss has less reason to be worried about the rise of the Nazi party in Austria? If so, does this prevent him taking power as dictator in 1933 and/or the civil war of 1934? And if that's so, does this mean Red Vienna survives?

Supposing that, with a 1932 PoD, Hitler does not come to power in Germany, but Engelbert Dollfuss still becomes Chancellor of Austria. Does the former have have effect on decision making on the latter? If so, what are the effects on Austria?

Most likely the austrofascism collapses in the 1970s, and become a small party like modern day falange in Spain.

I could see some conflict between Austria under Dollfuss and Germany. If Hitler were to never come to power, I would think a party like the DNVP still could have significant influence, and with a pan-German ideology, chances are the more nationalistic elements in Germany would butt heads with Dollfuss over unifying the two.

If the Allies don't mind... what did the treaty of Saint-Germain say?

Limited army, reduction of territory, reparations and no threatening of its own national independence. I don't think it requires it to be a republic, but even so the Habsburg would most likely be a bulwark against the Großdeutschland Lösung, which was perhaps the less palatable thing to the allies.

OK, the Habsburg Law that was made in 1919 wasn't made by the Allies. You'd have to get rid of it first, but since almost everybody voted for it...

You honestly think an Austrian civil war could be as destructive as WW2 and the aftermath?
Depends on how dirty it gets as well as the possibility of sowing generational long schisms between the populace (and whether the fascists win which will definitely retard economic growth). One of the worst case scenarios: Civil War happens and Italy steps in to prop up the fascist government turning Austria into a multi decade long satellite and ties them to a failing economic ideology that over time will find itself frozen out of numerous markets.

OK, the Habsburg Law that was made in 1919 wasn't made by the Allies. You'd have to get rid of it first, but since almost everybody voted for it...

Since the parliament voted for self-elimination, I assume they could as well introduce a royal figurehead.
By the way, Dollfuss could use the archduke to legitimise himself.

A lot less dead Austrians plus a richer country from not being pillaged by Germany and then the Soviets.

game-of-thrones-stannis-fewer.gif

I could see some conflict between Austria under Dollfuss and Germany. If Hitler were to never come to power, I would think a party like the DNVP still could have significant influence, and with a pan-German ideology, chances are the more nationalistic elements in Germany would butt heads with Dollfuss over unifying the two.
Heck, I see it happening even if the SPD ran things. I can see the speeches now. "Why do we let an autocrat exploit so many German workers and deny their national aspirations under the cover of a clerical state that weds itself to an outdated feudal construct?"

Last edited: