Edward VIII made a sane marriage?

I pretty much think that it was actually for the best that Edward was forced to abdicate. He definitely had
some attractive personal characteristics(unlike many in high places, he was able to relate & talk to the so-
called “common man”)but he was also a Nazi sympathizer(so much so that Hitler seems to have seriously
considered, if he conquered England, making Edward his puppet king. It is worth noting that Churchill
packed him off to the Bahamas in 1940 apparently @ least in part to keep him far away from Europe- &
just possibly aiding Hitler). Could such a man have done what George VI helped to do- rally & unite
the U.K. during WWII? Somehow, I doubt it.

Last edited:
Well, Henry VII was 29 when he got married.
Henry VIII was 18 ( the first time) though that was partially to tick off the Holy Roman Emperor. She was 23
Edward VI died at 15, so no data there.
Jane Grey was only Queen for about 10 days but she was married at 17
Mary I was 38
Elizabeth I never married
James I was 23.
Average of 25. At least among those who ruled and actually married.
Put in Arthur who was 15 (and was expected to be king), and Richmond (Who had a good shot at being king) and was 14 and the average goes down a lot.
Henry the VII married late because he had to become king first, and waited until he had the crown, but not for long. His children married at 15 (Arthur) 14 (Margaret) 18 (Henry) and 18 (Mary).
Mary I was a victim of changing foreign and internal politics.
I think the last "normal"royal marriage for the Tudor's heirs was Arthur's. From then on things got complicated.

Garrison

Donor
Would it though? As far as I know, I'm pretty sure the common people itself seemed sympathetic to Edward and it was the politicians - not the people - who had the issue with it. Could the Government have even survived? Every thing that I've read about the Abdication Crisis seems to point that Parliament was playing a high stakes game and were ultimately bluffing, and the King didn't call them on it.

Firstly I think you overestimate the sympathy of the people. Secondly yes all the power rested with the politicians, in fact if Edward had tried to bypass them that in itself would have been a gross violation of his constitutional role. The Dominions were dead set against, the 1930's CofE was not going to have their head marry a divorcee and for many of the politicians Wallace Simpson was simply the last straw rather than the primary reason for wanting to see him gone. Also you seem to be thinking Edward had more spine than he ever demonstrated in OTL.

I pretty much think that it was actually for the best that Edward was forced to abdicate. He definitely had
some attractive personal characteristics(unlike many in high places, he was able to relate & talk to the so-
called “common man”)but he was also a Nazi sympathizer(so much so that Hitler seems to have seriously
considered, if he conquered England, making Edward his puppet king. It is worth noting that Churchill
packed him off to the Bahamas in 1940 apparently @ least in part to keep him far away from Europe- &
just possibly aiding Hitler). Could such a man have done what George VI helped to do- rally & unite
the U.K. during WWII? Somehow, I doubt it.

Not to mention Queen Elizabeth herself:

“The children will not leave unless I do. I shall not leave unless their father does, and the King will not leave the country in any circumstances whatever,"

I honestly think Wallace, if not Edward, would have been on the first plane to the USA when the bombs started falling. Of course as Queen Mother Elizabeth was the reason there was never any forgive and forget from the Royal Family towards Edward, since she blamed the pressures of being Monarch for the early death of George VI.

Last edited: