Edward IV’s Bourbon Bride: A Collaborative Timeline

Vladislaus the II of Hungary and Bohemia marries Joanna of Naples and recognizes Alfonso the II as King of Sicily and Sardinia, as the Napolitan's troops had just taken Cagliari.
I though Vladislaus' father was currently King of Hungary, Bohemia and Poland? Because we have him taking over from Matthias Corvinus here. Also, just to clarify, where did Joanna of Naples come from?

But well, in the present, Enrique was definetly slow and mal-educated and castillian spies in Aragon to find out why. They soon discover that young Enrique had been Queen Eleanor's instrument of vengeance for the death of her own son at the hands of his father, and soon the Prince of Viana returns to the court in Barcelona, having been expelled from Castille by his own wife.
I’m not sure I understand what happened here.

I though Vladislaus' father was currently King of Hungary, Bohemia and Poland? Because we have him taking over from Matthias Corvinus here. Also, just to clarify, where did Joanna of Naples come from?
I confused Ferdinand's daughter Joanna with the Duchess of Milan Isabel for some reason. Big mistake on my part. Also I will fix that immediatelly, I thought the deal of Casimir IV becoming King of Hungary was never expanded upon, so I decided to go with OTL.

I’m not sure I understand what happened here.
Enrique was mistreated and essentially tortured as a way for Eleanor to take revenge for his pops killing both her husband and eldest son. He was not given a proper education and was essentially treated like a prisioner for most of his life. That's why he's "slow".

The End of Richard of Gloucester
November, 1478: James III of Scotland is captured by Baldwin of Burgundy, and taken as a prisoner to to the Tower of London. Jasper Tudor stays behind to finish off the remaining forces, and travels into Scotland to take as his prisoner Richard of York. Margaret of Denmark, aware that he is her major bargaining chip to bring her husband back to Edinburgh, has the Yorkist Pretender placed into custody and prepares to send him to London for trial. His wife, meanwhile, continues to negotiate with her brother to send forces to help the Scottish Invasion. Her requests, however, are rebuffed by Alfonso, focused on Sardinia and potentially Aragon.

In Armagnac, the Infante Jean of Aragon, as Regent of Armagnac, makes an executive decision. The Scots have failed, the alliances his mother has been making are not working, and he needs to bring on some allies to their side, particularly as the Hapsburgs dither on her newest attempt at filling up the ranks. And so, he negotiates his nephew to Marie de Berry (a cousin, but the Pope can waive that issue), and his niece, formerly the future Queen of Scotland, to marry the young Prince of France, now the Duke of Berry. Eleanor, unaware of his plans, has also had second thoughts about the Scottish match, but had focused on Portugal, hoping to have the young Infante Alfonso marry her, and her nephew to the eldest daughter of the Duke of Brittany. George of York and Mascarose factor in very little to these plans, although they attend the ceremony for the betrothal between the Count of Armagnac and Marie de Berry. Their own son, Edward of York, dies shortly after birth.

The Portuguese, meanwhile, are finalising their full consent to the offer from Juana I of Castile when, surprisingly, the Prince of Portugal makes an announcement. He's already remarried. His bride, Guiomar of Braganza, the widow of Henrique de Meneses, Count of Viana do Alentejo, is herself a mother of three and at least 5 years the Prince's senior. They've apparently been married for over a year and the alleged Princess of Portugal is heavily pregnant. The King is not happy at all.

December, 1478 - January, 1479: Richard of York's handover to the English Party is done as smoothly as possible when the prisoner believes he can escape at any moment. The Yorkist Pretender, having caused so much havoc, attempts everything to get away from Jasper Tudor's grasp. This includes dressing as a washer woman and, at one point, knocking a man down a flight of stairs. Not very gallant of him. But regardless, he arrives on English soil and is executed before they proceed to London. It's likely that this was agreed upon by the council secretly, but Jasper Tudor will hold that it was his decision. Regardless, the threat is dead and, in order to achieve his freedom, the King of Scots agrees to marry his eldest son to Margaret of Lancaster, while the Duke of Ross is betrothed to Anne of Burgundy, Anne Neville's daughter. He remains in English custody for the time being, treated as well as they can.

In Naples, the Infanta Beatrice is devastated. Her brother, understandably annoyed his father's gambit cost them time and money they didn't need to spend, focuses his attentions on Sardinia. Because things are starting to look up a little for Eleanor of Aragon.

The Holy Roman Emperor has considered her proposal and, due to their shared ally in Louis XI of France, who's sister has managed to have reinforcements sent to Aragon to help them at least stave off the Neapolitan forces, agrees to a match between Maximilian and Isabella of Foix, partially as a counter measure to the Hungarian alliance with Naples, which he sees as dangerous. He sends men and money to his new ally, and Eleanor sends men to the Pope to secure a dispensation. The two parties host proxy marriages and Isabella is prepared for her travels to Austria. Thankfully, she was already prepared for Burgundy, so the packing is quick.

February, 1479: News hits the Duke of Burgundy, almost 13, that his intended bride is instead off to marry the Archduke of Austria, and he's deeply upset about it. It isn't even that he isn't to be married yet (he isn't even yet 13), it's that he's been jilted a second time. He's a royal Duke! In line for the French Throne! That should be good enough for any Princess. And so, frustrated, he forms an alliance with the Duke of Orleans, himself yet unmarried but currently courting the widowed Duchess of Berry. Without permission from the King of France, he is betrothed Marie d'Orleans, a woman 9 years his senior. The King immediately writes to the Pope to block a dispensation.

Likewise, another King is trying to block a dispensation, and that is King Alfonso V of Portugal. His son's little stunt with Guiomar of Braganza might be cute for a mistress, but this cannot be how the next generation of royal children is brought into the world. His own wife being somewhat thrust upon him is embarrassing enough (not enough to stop her becoming pregnant earlier in the year, but embarrassing), but his son spurning the biggest heiress in Europe for a local widow is unfathomable. But when John reveals that he had already sent his own emissaries to the Pope, who granted John a blanket dispensation to marry any woman as close to him as a first cousin, he's blocked. The Princess of Portugal is duly accepted into the royal family, and gives birth to a daughter, Beatriz of Portugal, who joins her aunts in the royal nursery. Margaret of York shuns her stepdaughter-in-law along with her husband, and prepares for her own lying in.

The Duchess of Brittany gives birth for a second time, this one successfully. This child, a daughter, is named Charlotte, for the French Queen, and Anne of Savoy thrills in her living child (the previous child, another daughter named Francoise, had died a month after birth in 1477). Her sister in Lorraine, meanwhile, give birth to a stillborn son.

May, 1479: Isabella of Foix, Infanta of Aragon makes it to Austria, where she and her husband finally meet and she cannot have her marriage once again set aside for her mother's alliances. The two get along well, and Frederick of Austria admires his daughter-in-law's beauty and willingness to settle into the more informal court style they host. They cannot stay long, however, as Frederick travels through to Savoy, where he will demand the Duke of Savoy join their fight against Naples.

Meanwhile, Claude of France has been jilted by John of Portugal in two ways, and thus Louis XI needs a new future groom for his younger daughter. His sights now set upon the future Duke of Brittany, Francis II of Brittany dangles as a marriage option for the King in exchange for a treaty that protects Breton independence. But obviously, little Francis, Count of Montfort isn't the only fish in the sea. There's an entire King of England off waiting, and a newly spurned Prince of Girona who might be the key for keeping the Foix Aragon on his side should this Hapsburg alliance work out. And if he can just stop this insane Burgundy/Orleans alliances, maybe Claude would be best suited for there.

In Castile, Juana I of Castile is kind of locked. Her former husband is the most obvious choice for her, but he's representative of everything she hates. Her cousin's obvious mental scars from years of neglect and mistreatment are signs enough that she will have nothing to do with the Foix dynasty. So, she decides to chose their rivals, and finds herself betrothed not to Francis Phoebus, Prince of Girna and Viana, but Ferdinand, Duke of Calabria, the 10 year old son and heir of Alfonso II of Naples and Sicily. She then tells her generals to prepare for an invasion of Aragon and Navarre.

I confused Ferdinand's daughter Joanna with the Duchess of Milan Isabel for some reason. Big mistake on my part. Also I will fix that immediatelly, I thought the deal of Casimir IV becoming King of Hungary was never expanded upon, so I decided to go with OTL.

You're forbidden from contradicting another posters's work by OP's rules and no, Casimir IV didn't become king of Hungary, his namesake son https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Casimir - did (he was offered IOTL that throne like a year after our current point in TL).

A Brief Description of the situation of every dynasty/country mentioned thus far
Ok I'm going to try and concisely describe the situation country by country based off what's in the timeline. Please feel free to correct me if I miss or misrepresent facts.

ENGLAND: Plantagenet - Lancastrian
  • England is currently under the Lancastrian Dynasty, with a Regency in place for Henry VII of England, son of Edward IV (Lancastrian Claimant to this Title). His heir is Margaret of Lancaster or Owen Tudor, depending on legal precedent.
  • The Regency Council consists of, as currently known in timeline: Jasper Tudor, Earl of Pembroke, Baldwin of Burgundy, Earl of Warwick, Anne Neville, Countess of Warwick. Other members presumably are on the council, but have not been mentioned by name or title.
  • The Yorkist Claim, in opposition to the Ruling Dynasty, is not currently in power:
    • Richard of York, the main claimant to have gained traction, was executed in early 1479. He leaves behind a legitimate daughter, Margaret of York, in Naples.
    • George of York, despite being the elder brother, was mostly ignored during the attempted Yorkist Usurpation. He is married to Mascarose of Armagnac, bastard sister to the reigning Count of Armagnac. He is physically disabled due to a hunting accident, and unfit for battle. He currently resides in Armagnac. He has no legitimate children.
    • Margaret of York, sister and claimant to the throne, is married to Alfonso V of Portugal. Despite her exalted position, she has minimal backing. She has three legitimate children: the reigning Duke of Burgundy (discussed below), and the Infantas Eleanor and Isabel. She awaits her fourth child's birth.
    • The children of Elizabeth of York are currently in the custody of Anne de Beauchamp, mother to the Countess of Warwick. At least two are known to be surviving (Elizabeth and Dorothy de la Pole) with 3-4 more potentially also surviving. This hasn't been made clear.
  • James III of Scotland is currently a prisoner in the Tower of London, after a failed invasion, in part on behalf of the Yorkist Claimant, Richard of York. His two sons have been betrothed to Margaret of Lancaster, sister to the King and theoretical heiress to the throne, and Anne of Burgundy, heiress to the Countess of Warwick at this present time.
  • The Count of Richmond and Lincoln, Owen Tudor, is the cousin of the reigning King of Portugal. He represents an informal link to the Anglo-Portuguese alliance.
Current Alliances: France, Portugal, Scotland, Burgundy.
Recent Wars: Civil War, Scotland.

FRANCE - Valois
  • Louis XI of France is the current ruler of France. He is married to Charlotte of Savoy and has four living children.
    • Jeanne of Valois is his eldest daughter. Currently married to Peter of Bourbon, third in line to the title Duke of Bourbon. No children.
    • Louis of Valois, Dauphin of France is his son and heir. Currently married to Kunigunde of Austria. No children.
    • Claude of Valois is his younger daughter. Currently unmarried. Potential matches include the Count of Montfort (heir to the Duchy of Brittany), the Duke of Burgundy, the King of England, and the Prince of Girona and Viana (heir to the Kingdoms of Aragon and Navarre).
    • Charles of Valois, Duke of Berry is his younger son. Currently unmarried. Potential matches include Catherine of Armagnac.
  • Charlotte of Savoy, as Queen Consort, is currently unable to serve as female head of the family after a stroke. Her duties have been taken up by her widowed sister-in-law, Magdalena of Valois, Dowager Princess of Viana. The Princess Magdalena represents an informal link to their alliance in Foix-Aragon.
  • Burgundy:
    • The current reigning Duke of Burgundy is John II, of the Valois Dynasty. His heir to the reigning King of France, although the reigning King of England also has a claim to that title. He is currently unmarried, but betrothed to Marie d'Orleans, who represents a domestic alliance against Louis XI of France. Through his mother he has ties to Portugal, but has had minimal interactions with her post Regency Usurpation.
  • Orleans:
    • The reigning Duke, Louis of Orleans, is currently unmarried. So is his heir, the Count of Angouleme. He is currently pursuing the widowed Duchess of Berry as a bride. Seeking alliance with the Duke of Burgundy. Has had minimal involvement with French politics.
  • Brittany:
    • The currently reigning Duke of Burgundy is Francis II, of the Dreux-Montfort Dynasty. The Duchy is still technically independent. He is currently on his third wife, his first two having died of complications following childbirth.
      • Marie of Brittany is his eldest daughter. Currently unbetrothed, but negotiations have begun with the Count of Armagnac.
      • Jean of Brittany, Count of Montfort, is his son and heir. Currently not betrothed, but potential matches include the Princess Claude of France and Catherine of Armagnac.
      • Charlotte of Brittany is his younger daughter. Currently unbetrothed, no current offers at play.
  • Armagnac:
    • The reigning Count of Armagnac is Guy I, of the Armagnac Dynasty. His Regency is held by Jean of Foix, Infante of Aragon. His full blood sister is heir to some of his lands.
      • Guy I of Armagnac is currently unbetrothed, but potential matches include Marie of Brittany and Marie of Berry.
      • Catherine of Armagnac is currently unbetrothed, but potential matches include the Count of Montfort, the Infante Alfonso of Portugal and the Duke of Berry.
    • Armagnac also hosts the current Yorkist claimant to the Kingdom of England, George of York. He is married to Mascarose of Armagnac, the reigning Count's sister via his father's incestuous relationship with Isabel of Armagnac. There are no plans to support their cause.
  • Alencon:
    • The current claimant to the titles and lands of the Duchy of Alencon is Rene of Alencon. Married to Marguerite of Harcourt. No known children. Currently petitioning the King of France to return their wealth and status, after the treason of the previous Duke.
  • Bourbon:
    • The current, reigning Duke of Bourbon is John II of the Valois-Bourbon Dynasty. Currently married to Jeanne of Valois. No current children.
    • Bourbon has an anti-Lancastrian and anti-English stance, due to the mistreatment of Catherine of Bourbon by the Yorkist Dynasty, and the removal and probably murder of her children by the Lancastrian Dynasty.
    • In possession, if they have not died, of the illegitimate children of Edward IV of England (Yorkist Claimant). These wood be Henry, Jacquetta and Mary Fitzroy. He may have sent them to the Count of Saint-Pol, their cousin.
Current Alliances: Foix Aragon, England, Austria.
Factions: Brittany, Armagnac, Burgundy/Orleans.

SCOTLAND - Stewart
  • The reigning King of Scotland, James III of the Stewart Dynasty, currently resides in English custody. He is married to Princess Margaret of Denmark. He has two surviving children.
    • James Stewart, Duke of Rothesay is the heir to the Scottish Throne. Currently betrothed to Margaret of Lancaster, formerly betrothed to Catherine of Armagnac.
    • Robert Stewart is the Duke of Ross, and second son to James III of Scotland. Currently betrothed to Anne of Burgundy.
Current Alliances: England?, France?, Denmark.
Recent Wars: England.

PORTUGAL - Avis
  • The current reigning King of Portugal is Alfonso V of the Avis Dynasty. He is married to Margaret of York. He has 4 surviving children.
    • Joan, Infanta of Portugal is his eldest daughter by his first wife. Currently unbetrothed.
    • John, Prince of Portugal is his son and heir, born to his first wife. Currently married to Guiomar of Braganza. He has two children of his own.
      • Alfonso, Infante of Portugal is his son by his first wife. He is second in line to the throne. Currently unbetrothed, but potential matches include Catherine of Armagnac.
      • Beatriz, Infanta of Portugal is his daughter. Currently unbetrothed.
    • Eleanor, Infanta of Portugal is the elder twin daughter of the King by his current wife. Currently unbetrothed.
    • Isabella, Infanta of Portugal is the younger twin daughter of the King by his current wife. Currently unbetrothed.
  • Portugal has maintained a non-involvement policy in regards to general European politics, and has managed to stay out of the conflicts between Castile and Aragon over the past decade or so. They have fielded offers from the Foix Dynasty as headed by Eleanor of Trastamara, but have made no definitive moves. Their last attempt, a match between the heir to the throne and the reigning Queen of Castile was halted by the Prince of Portugal's sudden marriage reveal.
Current Alliances: England.

CASTILE - Trastamara
  • The current, reigning Queen of Castile is Juana I of the Trastamara Dynasty. Currently unmarried, she recently secured an annulment from her husband of less than a year, the Prince of Girona and Viana. Her heir is unclear, but most likely her cousin, Enrique of Aragon, son of her aunt, Isabella of Castile, who formerly sought to usurp her throne. She has no current Regent.
  • Due to her feelings concerning the treatment of her cousin while in the care of Eleanor I of Aragon and Navarre, Juana has severed her alliance with Foix-Aragon and is seeking an alliance with Trastamara-Naples, including a marriage alliance to their heir, Alfonso, Duke of Calabria.
Current Alliances: Naples, Hungary.

ARAGON/NAVARRE - Trastamara - Foix
  • The current, reiging Queen of Aragon and Navarre is Eleanor I, of the Trastamara Dynasty, mother of the forthcoming Foix Dynasty. She is currently unmarried, but has surviving children from her married to the Count of Foix.
  • Surviving Children Include:
    • Jean of Foix, Infante of Aragon. Currently Regent in Armagnac. Unmarried.
    • Isabella of Foix, Infanta of Aragon. Currently married to the Archduke of Austria. No children.
    • Jacques of Foix, Infante of Aragon. Currently unmarried.
  • Current Grandchildren Include:
    • Gaston, Prince of Girona and Viana, Count of Foix. Heir to the Kingdoms of Aragon and Navarre. Currently unmarried, recently saw his marriage with Juana I of Castile annulled on the grounds of non-consummation. Potential future matches include the Princess Claude of France.
    • Guy I of Armagnac and Catherine of Armagnac. Detailed above (France).
    • Francis, Count of Montfort. Detailed above (France).
  • Aragon/Navarre is currently at war against Naples for Sardinia. This threatens the power of the throne, which is held in the balance by the domestic nobility. Thus, they have allied with an alternate claimant to the Kingdom of Naples, Nicholas I of Lorraine. They have also allied with the Holy Roman Emperor and by extension Austria, as they seek to limit the power and influence of the King of Hungary against their own power within the Empire.
  • Eleanor is currently facing criticism and a loss of prestige after the annulment of her grandson and heir from the Queen of Castile, and while the reasoning why (mistreatment/abuse of Enrique of Aragon) is currently not widely known, it would further harm the Dynasty's reputation.
  • An alternate claimant to both thrones (Aragon and Navarre), Ferdinand II of Aragon (usurped by Peter V, who was usurped by Eleanor I), has his whereabouts unknown. He has not been mentioned in roughly a decade, and is presumed dead.
  • Has an ally in France, Magdalena of Valois, the widow of Eleanor I of Aragon and Navarre's son, Gaston, Prince of Viana. Currently serving as female head of the Valois Dynasty while Charlotte of Savoy recovers from her stroke.
Current Alliances: France, Austria.
At War With: Castile (Foix), Naples (Foix).

NAPLES - Trastamara
  • The current, reigning King of Naples is Alfonso II, of the Trastamara Dynasty. He is married to Ippolita Maria Sforza, sister of the Duke of Milan, Galeazzo Maria Sforza (probable, may be one of his brothers as not specified).
  • Current Surviving Children:
    • Ferdinand, Duke of Calabria is his son and heir. Currently betrothed to Juana I of Castile.
    • Isabella, Infanta of Naples and Sicily, is his only daughter. Currently married/betrothed to the King of Hungary.
    • Pietro, Prince of Rossano, younger son. Currently unbetrothed.
  • Current Surviving Siblings:
    • Eleanor, Infanta of Naples is the elder sister of the King of Naples. Currently married to the Duke of Ferrara. If like OTL, has 5 children.
    • Frederick, Infante of Naples is the eldest of the King of Naples' younger brothers. Currently unmarried.
    • John, Infante of Naples is the middle of the King of Naples' younger brothers. He is a cardinal.
    • Beatrice, Infanta of Naples is the younger sister of the King of Naples. She is the widow of Richard of York, who claimed the Kingdom of England. Mother of Margaret of York. Currently unmarried.
    • Francis, Infante of Naples is the youngest brother of the King of Naples. Currently unmarried.
  • Naples is currently at war with Foix-Aragon for Sardinia.
  • They have a rival claimant in the form of Nicholas I of Lorraine, who claims the Anjou inheritance of Naples.
  • They have alliances with Hungary and Castile.
Current Alliances: Hungary, Castile, Milan.
Current Wars: Sardinia (Naples).

HUNGARY - Jaigellon
  • The current, reigning King of Hungary and Bohemia is Casimir I of the Jaigellon Dynasty. He is currently married to Isabella, Infanta of Naples. He has no children, and his heir is Vladislaus Jaigellon, his elder brother and heir to the Polish throne.
  • He is currently in alliance with Naples in their war to take Sardinia.
Current Alliances: Poland, Naples.
Current Wars: Sardinia (Naples).

LORRAINE - Anjou
  • The current reigning Duke of Lorraine is Nicholas I of the Anjou Dynasty. Currently married to Maria of Savoy. No current children. His current heir is Yolande of Anjou, wife or widow if the Count of Vaudemont. She has 3 or 4 surviving children.
  • Nicholas is currently allied with Foix-Aragon against Naples, in hopes of becoming King of Naples.

Current Alliance Blocks

Foix Aragon/Navarre - France - Austria

Trastamara Castile - Naples

England - France - Scotland

Hungary - Poland - Naples

England - Portugal

Scotland - Denmark

Current Wars

Aragon - Naples (Sardinia)

Aragon - Castile (Invasion)

England - Scotland (finishing truce negotiations)

Potential Claimants/Rivals

George of York (England)

Margaret of York and children (England)

Juana I of Castile (Aragon/Navarre, Portugal)

Enrique of Aragon (Castile, Aragon)

Nicholas I of Lorraine (Naples)

Louis of Orleans (Milan)

John II of Burgundy (England, France)

Casimir I of Hungary (Poland)

Eleanor I of Aragon and Navarre (Castile)

@Kynan thanks for summing everything up. Also, didn't Ferdinand of Aragon died of dysentery while he was in Castille. I could have sworn that was mentioned early on.

Offers
June 1479: Louis of Orleans offers his hand to Marie of Brittany, wanting to produce an heir of his own body. Francis II takes his time on whether he should agree to this betrothal or not. Louis also hints to the Count of Armagnac that he would be willing to marry his sister, should she be offered.

July 1479: Jasper Tudor writes to Louis XI suggesting a betrothal between the King of England and Princess Claude of France. Louis XI agrees and initially plans on handing over George of York too, as a gesture of good faith. However, Louis soon discovers that George and his wife Macarose have left France for Brittany, where they hope to get a ship to Portugal to join Margaret of York's court in Portugal. It also comes to Louis's intention that Macarose is pregnant with child once again.

In Castile, Juana officially declares that she shall marry Ferdinand, Duke of Calabria when he comes of age. She also begins raising a war chest for her war against Eleanor of Navarre. She also writes to Nicholas of Lorraine offering to partition Aragon with him if he joins her in her invasion of the Kingdom. She suggests that she be allowed annex Valencia and Navarre while he can claim Catalonia, the Balaeric Islands and Aragon for himself. Nicholas considers this proposal, as he is still hoping to take Naples and is unsure if ruling only half of Aragon (when he could rule all of it) is worth it.

Return of the Queen
19-24 July, 1479: The Queen of Portugal gives birth to a son, the Infante Duarte. He is well celebrated initially, until the infant Duarte chokes in his sleep, leaving Margaret of York a grieving mess. Troubled by his wife's severe reaction, Alfonso of Portugal suggests she take time to prepare the residence planned for George of York, and he writes to Naples, firmly remaining apolitical in their current war, but offering to house the younger Margaret of York in this same household. He even offers to set the widowed Beatrice of Naples up in marriage with the Duke of Viseu. But Beatrice has made her own plans.

August, 1479: While the widowed titular Queen of England might seem down for the count, in actuality, she's just getting started. Aware that her daughter is currently the senior Yorkist claimant to England, she writes to the Kings of France, Scotland and England, each with different offers. France and Scotland are fairly simple. She offers the hand of her daughter (who she titles Margaret I of England) in exchange for those rights to invade England. But in England, she offers the hand of Margaret to Henry VII of England, to tie up the rival claims. She is ignored for now, but Louis XI isn't necessarily against her English chaos. He might not be able to offer her a full scale invasion of England, or even marriage between Margaret and the young Duke of Berry, but he can facilitate her entering his sphere of influence by arranging her marriage to his technical ward, the Duke of Burgundy. John II of Burgundy, meanwhile, is flailing.

His plans of marriage to the Duke of Orleans' sister stall as the dispensation fails to be granted and Orleans instead looks to gain French support for his planned takeover of Milan. Furthermore, his majority, technicality reached but unenforced, has not granted him the ability to do much more than he had been doing. The marriage to Beatrice of Naples might spell a tentative step forward to true adulthood, but it isn't what he wants.

England, meanwhile, barely takes time to consider this offer before making their own moves. George of York's escape to Portugal, nominally their ally, means the danger is racketed back up, even as they send James III back to Scotland after almost a year of negotiations and planning. To settle the people, they decade to try and nullify the Yorkists by granting the title Duke of York to Owen Tudor, and settle him as the heir to the throne following Henry of Lancaster. Some, like Baldwin of Burgundy, speak against removing Margaret of Lancaster from the succession in this way, but most see this as an extension of the laws that led to not the Empress Matilda, but her heirs as the Plantagenet Dynasty. Little Margaret of Lancaster is busy with her lessons. They then write to Beatrice of Naples, offering a match between Owen Tudor and Margaret of York, and an additional match between Jasper Tudor and herself. It will not be accepted.

Beatrice of Naples instead writes to the King of France and instead offers herself as a bride to the Duke of Orleans, insisting that her brother would obviously support this takeover of Naples.

Juana of Aragon, having seen the suite of Louis of Orleans stutter out, instead looks for her own husband, and lands upon the Count of Maine. Recently a widower by Joan of Lorraine, he's young, kind and rich enough for that not to matter anyway. Despite some interest elsewhere, she decides it's better to be safe than sorry, and marries the Count.

Jean of Foix, Regent of Armagnac, marries Louise d'Albret, sister of the Lord of Albret.

November, 1479: Juana I of Castile has a problem. That annulment she got, the one she was sure was simply held up by the various pieces of nonsense across Europe. It hasn't been granted. The Pope, sent proof by Eleanor I of Aragon that her son consummated his marriage to the Queen of Castile, in the form of written testimony by a maid and a bloody sheet. Juana maintains this is a fabrication by her enemies, but it doesn't matter. Her betrothal is essentially null until she can have it annulled.

Furthermore, Nicholas I of Lorraine has decided that between Austria, France and Aragon, it's probably smarter to aim for the whole of Naples (minus Sardinia, but he never expected that) rather than half of Aragon.

Catherine of Armagnac dies of an infection. Jean of Foix sends the court into mourning.

Guiomar, Princess of Portugal gives birth to a son, the Infante Diego.

December, 1479: Anne Neville, Countess of Warwick announces her second pregnancy. Jasper Tudor, feeling secure enough to find his own bride, sets upon Margaret Talbot, sister to the Earl of Shrewsbury, a fellow member of the Regency Council.

Alfonso II of Naples, returning from Milan, takes a cold, This cold unravels into a fever, and by Christmas, he's dead. His brother, stepping into the position of Regent, does not slow down the war, but this is a set back of the Neapolitan set. Particularly as news travels to Eleanor I of Aragon that the Pope has settled in her favour for Castile. Her grandson is King there. This war is illegal. She can do something about this. Emissaries are sent to the Queen of Castile to treat.

Meanwhile, Mascarose of Armagnac gives birth to a daughter of her own, another Margaret of York. Now, in the Portuguese Court, there are three of those. George of York, physically drained from his journey (remember, the man has never truly recovered use of his wrist or leg) celebrates the best way that he can. He gets drunk. Alfonso V of Portugal notes that he has taken on a drunk, a bastard and their progeny. But his Queen is excited to have family around her and grateful to have a project following the death of her son. That takes the sting off when Guiomar announces yet another pregnancy, So soon after her last.

Rene of Alencon officially is granted his lands and titles back. He's delighted.

Catherine of Bourbon suddenly turns up at the English court, unannounced, and pregnant. She wants permission to have married (she's already done it, but needs permission) Arthur Neville, the son of Humphrey Neville, a scion of the Neville clan from Yorkshire. Refusing to bow to the pressure of shame, she spoke plainly.

"I have found a man in my husband who loves and cherishes me. I wish to remain in my estates, have my children, and live a happy life that I am due."

The Council voted in her favour, citing the minor importance of her husband and the poorness of her treatment by the previous regime. Margaret of York, Queen of Portugal, would call her former sister-in-law a "whore from Bourbon". The public would, surprisingly for the time, side with Catherine on this issue. She left the court as quickly as she arrived once she had been granted what she wanted.

Last edited:
Juana's Great Matter
January 1480: The King of France agrees to allow Beatrice of Naples to marry the Duke of Orleans, after the Duke himself requested permission. The two are married not long after and are immediately smitten with each other. Beatrice's daughter soon enters Orleans household where she receives an education fit for a Princess of France.

February-April 1480: Jasper Tudor frustrated with Louis's failure to procure George of York begins considering reneging on the betrothal between King Henry VII and Claude of France, and looks to Portugal for a bride, particularly one of Margaret, Queen of Portugal's children, since they'd bring Yorkist blood with them and possibly George of York's head. Granted, this isn't going to happen any time soon, for Jasper is wary of insulting Louis XI, who could easily place the young Margaret of Gloucester on the throne, following her marriage to a French Prince of course. Instead he begins to search for a bride for his nephew, Owen Tudor and expresses interest in marrying him to a Breton Princess, writing to the Duke to suggest such a marriage, though he takes his time in replying.

April-August 1480: Kuningunde of Austria, Dauphine of France falls pregnant, much to the delight of her husband and Father-in-law. The birth is highly anticipated and great care is taken to see to it that the child is healthy. Maximilian and Frederick write to Kuningunde wishing her all the best during her pregnancy.

Meanwhile in Castile Juana I begins trying to free herself from her marriage to the Prince of Viana, by citing the fact that her betrothal to Enrique of Aragon was never officially broken, and that as such, her marriage to the Prince of Viana is illegitimate. Of course Juana only claims this because Enrique as a husband is marginally better than the Prince of Viana as a husband. This argument holds up for some, especially Enrique and the Portuguese, who view the marriage as a way to renew the Portuguese-Castilian alliance. The Foix however, counter this claiming that the details of the betrothal are irrelevant and ask Louis XI to back them up. Louis however, personally sides with Juana I for the most part, if only to prevent a united Iberia from forming, lest it turn on him. Obviously he does not tell this to his Foix allies, and instead writes to the Pope pointing out the validity in Juana's argument. Juana also writes to Jasper Tudor offering to do everything she can to have George of York sent to the English if they support her cause and reward them through other methods. Not long after Jasper writes to the Pope, also noting the merits in Juana's argument. Tensions are about to come to a head, when suddenly, Francis Phoebus falls ill with the Plague. Some yell poison, others rebut these remarks as false, but it becomes clear by the end of July that the Prince of Viana is on his deathbed, much to Juana's joy. By August the Prince is dead, but Juana now faces a new problem. Does she marry Enrique? She has argued that their betrothal was never truly broken, and so to not marry him would be quite self-defeating. It would also make it seem as though she was involved in Francis's death. But at the same time, she can do better than to marry an 11 year old. Juana is now at a crossroad...

An Aragonese Collapse
April 1481: John the II of Burgundy falls ill. The Young Duke rides under heavy rain during a travel to his holdings in Holland and is forced to his bed. His doctors soon atribute the symptons to Tubercolosis, and John the II sends words to the Count of Vendome, his once regent and a father figure to him. John the VIII, who had powered through his illnesses in support of his "adopted-son", sends word to Paris to inform Louis, the Duke's heir, and to Brussels, to John of Bourbon, who leads the Army of Flanders stationed there in preparation for the possible upheaval.

Nicholas of the House of Valois-Anjou, Duke of Anjou and Lorraine, Count of Provence and Bar, plots from Aix-en-Provence. The last of Sardinia's Aragonese holdouts have fallen, and Frederick of Naples, regent of the Kingdom of Sicily and Sardinia, takes his conquest by complete. His nephew's navy have supremacy over the meditteranean and the Aragonese have no way to retaliate beside Queen Eleanor's tears and the devil. With papal recognition of young Ferdinand's rights to the island of Sicily and to Sardinia, Frederick lends his ears to the Albanians, who having killed Mehmed the II have fully revolted once more. Despite the high turbulence present in the Ottoman Empire, the many contenders to the Ottoman throne still wield large armies. The Albanians offer Ferdinand the title of Prince of Albania if the Sicilians would intervene in favour of them.

Louis, Dauphin of France and Kuningunde of Austria present their first child, Charles Frédéric to the French court. The King Louis decrees a realm-wide holiday, all the way to Burgundy's Frisian possessions, in honour of the birth of this grandson of Kings and Emperors. Louis of Orleans and Beatrice of Naples also announce their first pregnancy.

Mayy 1481: The situation is Aragon is finally crashing and burning. The loss of Sardinia and the death of the Prince of Viana quickstarts a revolt against Eleanor in Valencia. Juana I sends messengers to the rebels that if they decree her cousin and future husband, Enrique de Aviz y Aragon, as their King, Castille will invade Aragon in support of the rebellion.

Diplomacy
June 1481: The Aragonese Cortés declines Juana of Castile's offer as they remember what life was like under Pedro V. Instead they offer Nicholas of Anjou the crown, if he raises his heir in Aragon so that they may be Catalan. Nicholas considers this proposal, as Louis XI may yet support the Foix, which would turn the tides of the war. As he mulls over the proposal his wife Marie, falls pregnant. At last there shall be an Angevin heir.

July 1481: John of Burgundy recovers, but is not sickly and weak. Needing a bride ASAP, he writes to the exiled Duke and Duchess of Suffolk seeking permission to marry their daughter Elizabeth de la Pole, in exchange for him negotiating their return to England. The pair having grown tired of exile and disillusioned with the Yorkist cause agree, and begin the journey to Bruges to join John. While waiting for his bride John summons the Estates General to try and convince them to name Baldwin of Burgundy the heir presumptive, in spite of the fact that he is a bastard. This sparks a serious controversy that shall last months before a decision is made.

A Mother and Daughter Reunited
August-September 1481: Charlotte of Savoy's health has never been the same following her stroke. In August she finally succumbs. Louis is plunged into a deep grief. Only now does he realize how important she was to him. Courtiers notice his health has begun to deteriorate. His heir Louis takes an increasingly prominent role in matters of state. He is also not neglecting his personal life. His wife, Knudigrde of Austria, announces that she is pregnant again.

The Ottoman Empire is currently split between the European half, controlled by Cem, and the Anatolian half controlled by Bayazid. Currently the two brothers are in stalemate. Cem is plotting to sick the Mamelukes on his brother, and needs to prevent a Crusade. So he sends an offer to the three states most likely to act as staging grounds. the Paliologi will be restored in Morea, to act as a buffer between the Republic of Venice's holdings on the island and the Turks. Ferdinand of Naples shall be proclaimed King of Albania. And Serbia shall be restored as a buffer state between Hungary and the Ottomans.

In Naples, the regent Frederick responds to the Albanian offer. He would be delighted to intervene in their favor. But you see, his nephew has his hands full with all those kingdoms. The Albanians would, however, be encouraged to name Frederick as their ruler. He also sends feelers out to Juana regarding the prospect of marriage and a Sicilian invasion of Aragon.

In Hungary, queen Isabella gives birth to a daughter, christened Mary.

In England, Catherine of Bourbon presents her daughter, Anne, to the court. She is named after Anne Neville, who the former Queen has grown quite fond of. Anne in turn has named her youngest child Catherine. The lady regent is currently heavily pregnant with her third child, to her husband Baldwin's great delight. Their marriage may have started off as a political match, but the couple have grown to care deeply for one another.

Princess Catherine of England begins her career as a notorious rogue by escaping from her convent. The court is plunged into a panic until the girl is found. She herself, however, had no intention of plotting against the throne. Catherine just hated life in the convent. She sees her mother for the first time since her father was overthrown, for the sole purpose of being lectured on the necessity of knowing her place. The meeting does nothing to improve the relationship between the two. The younger Catherine is dragged back to the convent kicking and screaming, but alas, Europe has not heard the last of the rouge Princess. Thankfully, young William seems to take the monastic life in stride. Margret Talbot gives birth to a daughter, christened Margaret Tudor. However, her health suffers greatly and her husband and father fear for her life.

In Portugal, both Margret of York and Guiomar of Braganza are pregnant again. In August, Margret gives birth to twin boys, christened Duarte and Miguel. Though the birth leaves her on deaths door, she recovers, with the love and support of her husband and the Clarences. The same cannot be said of her rival. The next month Guiomar was thrown from her horse while heavily pregnant. She is rushed to a convent where she is able to deliver a sickly daughter, hurriedly christened Guiomar. Her husband rushes to her beside and is able to be there just before her death. Johnn, and the Portuguese court, is plunged into mourning, though secretly many, praticularly the Queen, rejoice. The King takes an ambivalent view of things. Yes he was furious when John defied him, but Guiomar was obviously devoted to her husband, and bore him children as often as she was able. On the other hand, her death opens many opportunities for Portugal. With Guiomar out of the way John is in the running to wed Queen Juana. The Prince, wants to hear no such plans, preferring to spend his days with his young children, his son by the poor late Isabella of Viesu, Alfonso, and his children with Guiomar, Beatriz, Diego, Isabel, and baby Guiomar. George of Clarence and Marcorse prove to be of particular comfort and soon enough John strikes up a deep friendship with the couple.

Last edited: