Earliest possible heavier than air powered flight

phx,

With respect to Dr Langley, please don't overlook his design and construction of large carbide, compressed air and later steam powered model airplanes (with wingspans-I believe-of up to 15 feet) which were sufficiently stable to remain airborne as long as power was available, then glide to intact landings. -In the mid 1890s!

While I admit that I never tried to rent a locomotive and flatcar, its my understanding that in the 1880s, single car holiday excursions, including locomotive, by lodges and other small groups were common and affordable.

No need to imagine what the Wright Flyer I would have done with significantly more horsepower- introduced the concept of aeroelastic flutter and given Orville a few exciting seconds.

Dynasoar

With respect to Dr Langley, please don't overlook his design and construction of large carbide, compressed air and later steam powered model airplanes (with wingspans-I believe-of up to 15 feet) which were sufficiently stable to remain airborne as long as power was available, then glide to intact landings. -In the mid 1890s!
If we limit to anything incapable of carrying a man, I'll grant you. IMO, he overclaimed (perhaps not wildly, but even so).
While I admit that I never tried to rent a locomotive and flatcar, its my understanding that in the 1880s, single car holiday excursions, including locomotive, by lodges and other small groups were common and affordable.
Me neither, & since you seem to have better information, I'll defer. It would have made things interesting, for sure.
No need to imagine what the Wright Flyer I would have done with significantly more horsepower- introduced the concept of aeroelastic flutter and given Orville a few exciting seconds.
:eek: Actually overpowering the airframe?:eek: I was thinking more in terms of going to a less-draggy monoplane. Their use of wing-warping instead of aileron, tho, might have made "controlled" flight, coupled with the higher power, much more an adventure.:eek: