Earliest Point That Iberian Sailors Can Travel To The New World And Back?

At which moment in history did people gain the maritime knowledge to successfully make a trip to America from Iberia?
When did they gain the knowledge of the currents needed to do it? What time period had the shipbuilding technology for the trip?

Last edited:
Maybe the 13th Century? I remember reading that the Basque were able to sail as far as Newfoundland for fishing and did so centuries before Columbus arrived

Any answer to this question is going to be possibility. Also making one trip is different then doing it regularly.
Yes, but a lot of people on this forum (I'm not talking about the poster I was replying to) seem to be certain that the Basque discovered America before Columbus.

Yes, but a lot of people on this forum seem to be certain that the Basque discovered America before Columbus.
It seems to be a fairly widespread opinion, with some textual evidence but, far as I know, no archeological proof or even suggestion. But the same was true of the Norse in Vinland for a long time.

That's just a possibility. We don't know for certain if they actually did that before Columbus.
Yeah nvm you're right. The first certain evidence of them reaching North America is by the mid-16th Century, after Columbus's voyage. But I'm sure if one really wanted to they could have the Basque arrive early, they did have ships secure enough to reach North America.

The Celtic people of the Armorican area in Gaul might have been able to do it. They had well set up trade routes with Britain and northern Europe pre Conquest by Rome. Julius Caesar notes how well built their ships were made and sea worthy they were.

What type of shipbuilding technology is necessary to cross the Atlantic from Iberia?
Basic plank boats or large curraghs can do it. The technology required is Neolithic. The issue is not building the ships, it's knowing the strategies, the navigational techniques and having the confidence to plan this (because you have to plan it if you want a successful return voyage). I would say the Celtiberian iron age is the earliest that would be conceivable.
For a conventionally realistic scenario, I'd go with the Emirate or the Reconquista kingdoms.

Basic plank boats or large curraghs can do it. The technology required is Neolithic. The issue is not building the ships, it's knowing the strategies, the navigational techniques and having the confidence to plan this (because you have to plan it if you want a successful return voyage). I would say the Celtiberian iron age is the earliest that would be conceivable.
Wouldn't they have problems carrying enough food for the trip?

Maybe the 13th Century? I remember reading that the Basque were able to sail as far as Newfoundland for fishing and did so centuries before Columbus arrived
As LampLighters said, this is just a possibility that many seem to have accepted as a fact so much because it gets repeated so much as an interesting possibility. Even if it is true (which, again, is not even close to certain) no credible scholar to my knowledge has proposed such voyages took place as early as the 13th century.

It seems to be a fairly widespread opinion, with some textual evidence but, far as I know, no archeological proof or even suggestion. But the same was true of the Norse in Vinland for a long time.
Except the Norse claim has infinitely more textual evidence. They had historically known colonies right next door to the Americas, and in Iceland wrote pretty extensively of how they found a place next door. The only textual evidence for Basque discovery prior to 1492 is that sometimes a phantom island called "Codfish" appeared on maps -named, I might add, for the Portugese word for codfish, never the Basque. The two situations are not remotely comparable.

Wouldn't they have problems carrying enough food for the trip?
Not really. A large plank boat or curragh easily has room enough for a sufficient crew and supplies to last through the voyage. there is not much margin for error and the concept of what constitutes adequate eating and sdrinking is a different one from ours, though. most importantly, these boats do not have an appreciable payload. You can cross the Atlantic, but you can't really bring anything back.

The Celtic people of the Armorican area in Gaul might have been able to do it. They had well set up trade routes with Britain and northern Europe pre Conquest by Rome. Julius Caesar notes how well built their ships were made and sea worthy they were.
Was knowledge about the currents advanced enough at the time for an Atlantic voyage?

Was knowledge about the currents advanced enough at the time for an Atlantic voyage?
No, it would have to be developed. The Armoricans were noted as sailors, but they only ever sailed to Britain so far as I know.

Maybe in a no Gallic Wars scenario the Armoricans and the Druids could develop a working body of maritime knolwedge, but it just doesn't seem likely to me.