E Boats for Sealion

Well thats another issue - where to land?

Between Hastings and Dover its not exactly 'Normandy' style beaches.
This is why I always bring up the cliffs of Dover when ever there is an Operation Sealion thread.

What will the Germans do once they land?

Climb the cliffs and get picked off one by one?

Or watch helplessly as the British cut their ropes?

Even if the Fallschimjager land in Britain, what are they gonna do once they are in the island cut-off from supplies?

This is why I always bring up the cliffs of Dover when ever there is an Operation Sealion thread.

What will the Germans do once they land?

Climb the cliffs and get picked off one by one?

Or watch helplessly as the British cut their ropes?

Even if the Fallschimjager land in Britain, what are they gonna do once they are in the island cut-off from supplies?
Sorry, just have to say, there were no plans to land at Dover... Neither by sea or air. The most easterly landing was just west of Hythe. Flattish landing site with a steep rise about a mile inland with the Royal Military Canal at it's base. Still not easy by anyones imagination but not as nuts as Dover.

marathag

Banned
Sorry, just have to say, there were no plans to land at Dover... Neither by sea or air. The most easterly landing was just west of Hythe. Flattish landing site with a steep rise about a mile inland with the Royal Military Canal at it's base. Still not easy by anyones imagination but not as nuts as Dover.
May not plan to land there, but with 4 knot barges and 6 knot current, plus winds, they might not have a choice.

May not plan to land there, but with 4 knot barges and 6 knot current, plus winds, they might not have a choice.
Looking at the map @Cryhavoc101 posted, I wonder what their chances of getting across are, because it seems most go against the current. Also the ones starting in Belgium need to travel twice as far as the ones starting in Calais. Which means their transit time is twice as long (although they had a limited number of faster vessels).

Garrison

Donor
When the Reinforcements were sent to North Africa which I think was Oct - the British no longer believed that an invasion was even remotely likely.

There was the following AFVs in Sept - from here - Majority of the Infantry tanks would be Matilda II and Valentine

Infantry
Cruiser
Light
Carriers
June 30th
140​
209​
582​
2,242​
July 31st
218​
284​
657​
3,181​
August 31st
274​
322​
659​
3,784​
I think the basic point is clear, saying the British only had two tanks capable of fighting a Panzer III in 1939 (Panzer IV is irrelevant because in 1939 it was an assault gun) iss about as meaningful as pointing out the Wehrmacht didn't deploy any Tigers on June 22nd 1941.

marathag

Banned
Looking at the map @Cryhavoc101 posted, I wonder what their chances of getting across are, because it seems most go against the current. Also the ones starting in Belgium need to travel twice as far as the ones starting in Calais. Which means their transit time is twice as long (although they had a limited number of faster vessels).
Or they find out the hard way on why the Spanish Armada had to loop past Scotland and Ireland before they could go home.

McPherson

Banned
Great little write up by Dr Andrew Gordon here

Map of final proposed landing beaches - basically Romney Marsh and the surrounding area found here
You have got to be kidding?

map.jpg

stmarysbay.org.uk - Around and About Romney Marsh - Part III

You see that blue stuff indented into that marshland? Called an inlet? Did the Germans plan to bring DUKWs?

Pshaw! You underestimate Das UberHeer! They will simply swim to the Isle of Wight, capture that and use it as a forwards base against Perfidious Albion. Wightlion Mk2 Electric Boogaloo!

The German's did have a tracked boat but I have no idea if they were available during this period, but if they were I doubt they have very many of them...

Pshaw! You underestimate Das UberHeer! They will simply swim to the Isle of Wight, capture that and use it as a forwards base against Perfidious Albion. Wightlion Mk2 Electric Boogaloo!
Their secret would be sending a very nice Gift Basket with a very well worded extremely polite note that would oblige the Brits to invite a couple of Divisions or else appear rather rude.

Jokes aside that plan is a lot less terrible then a lot of the real German plans.

Thanks

So a few miles further from the French coast but a more sensible destination. For those barges that get there rather than get scattered and find themselves under the White Cliffs, if they're lucky.

Would the Romney, Dymchurch and Hythe Railway armoured train come out to play and be one of the many problems needing to be overcome?

I'm still disappointed the Isle of Thanet wasn't the chosen landing spot. It worked for the Romans and Saxons after all.

You may laugh, but I did see it seriously argued on another forum that Nazi Supermen would swim ashore from sinking barges, find a rifle and start fighting.

Garrison

Donor
Or as Home Guard troops - they must have captured enough uniforms to equip a few assault regiments at least.
German parartroopers in British uniforms is the plot of 'Went the Day Well?', which I suspect was an inspiration for 'The Eagle has Landed'. And they tried it in the real world during the Battle of the Bulge. The issue for the troops involved is the risk of being put up against a wall and shot rather than being made POWs. Why the Germans didn't try and mount commando raids during that summer of 1940 is one of the oddities of German strategy. It doesn't have to be assaults on major targets, just designed to provoke panic.