Duck and Cover! An American Spinoff of Protect and Survive.

Mayybe

Duck and Cover! is the American View of the events happening in Protect and Survive, the post-nuclear war Time Line started by Mcgraggle. I recommend you check it out here, reading the first couple of posts and some of the Prospero stories will help you get some context of some of the events found in Duck and Cover! Now, without further ado here is Duck and Cover! hope you enjoy.

Part I: Earthquakes

They say it starts with earthquakes, birds, snake and airplanes...

February 21st 1984 changed the lives of every person in the world forever. As missiles arched across the planet, humanity stared up at the sky wondering if the end of the world was really coming.

They were right.

The problem for most people was that the Nuclear War, as it would later be known, was not as deadly as most had envisioned. In its wake millions of unprepared found themselves in a completely different world. These are their stories.

* The Son sat in the basement and cried. His family had gone to the Airport to pick up his sister from college. He was alone. When the warnings and sirens went off. He was home. Alone. As he duct taped the doorframe and the window frames as the man on the radio said. He was alone. When he went to the basement carrying the food from the refrigerator and the pantry. He was alone. When the bombs went off. He was alone. When he shit his pants. He was alone. After the bombs went off. He was alone. When he cried. He was alone.

*All the stores were empty, including the one on fire. The Fireman glanced at his friends left and right and wondered exactly what they had hoped to accomplish. There wasn’t much in there to save, and well…real estate wouldn’t matter much soon. The sirens went off, screaming that they had a couple minutes left on earth. The Squad Chief laughed, “Stop it boys! There’s no point now is there?” No one else held the Squad Chief’s humor, including the Fireman. How could he be so jovial the world was ending? As their engine silently rolled off the Squad Chief shouted behind him “IT WAS A PLESURE TO BURN!” That remark got a chuckle. They pulled into the fire house and waited. The Fireman wondered if Aberdeen would even show up on the Commie’s nuke maps. Too small anyway he assumed. He turned to the kitchen to make himself something to eat as the Flash off on the bay illuminating the whole town with unholy light. Thinking back later the Fireman realized that that sandwich probably saved his life. He remembered the film they had shown him as a child. Duck and Cover. Duck and Cover…

*The Singer wandered the streets, there wasn’t much to do, now was there. People around her were well, scaring the horses she decided. Those who were leaving the poor horses alone wandered in a dream like state, some pretended that life was normal and nothing was going to change, still others ran around crying and screaming panic filing their eyes and coming out their lungs. And amongst all the cacophony came a silly poorly played track of Oh! Susannah! An Ice-Cream truck wandered aimlessly down the street. She stared at the truck and its overweight driver blankly. “Lady do you want an Ice-Cream, they’re on the house today?” the Ice-Cream man grinned. Finally she mumbled “sure.” “Well what’ll you be having?” She mumbled “Just the…” he handed it to her. She stared. He must be telepathic. As he munched on his own, (no wonder he was so fat) he asked “So what do you do?” The sirens screamed.

*The Cadet was trying to keep order outside of the Supermart. “GOOD GOD PEOPLE ONE AT A TIME!” It was getting hectic out here. It got worse after the sirens went off.

*The Lieutenant swallowed the pill, as he lay dying he couldn’t stop thinking. I pushed the button…It’s my fault…All the women and chi….

*The Farmer saw the crash and ran over. As he pulled the lone survivor out of the Crash he couldn’t help but notice the painting on the side. PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. The man mumbled something…The Farmer bandaged the man as best he could. He was afraid of some kind of internal trauma but there was nothin else he could do ‘bout that. The man slowly came to. The Farmer smiled “Well Mister Secretary or is that Mr. President see’n how no one else survived that crash.” The man just blinked and said nothing.

*“We’re broadcasting on all channels” someone in the Bunker said. The Assistant noticed that the Director looked too haggard for his age and his health. He took the mike and said nothing. He looked down, “I don’t know what to say…” The Assistant smiled, “I know what to say." The rest of the room looked at her as she depressed the button on the microphone. She licked her lips and coughed. “Our Father who art in heaven…”

America gone. The World gone. Welcome to Duck and Cover.

And from the burning wreckage of air force one, emerges an ash covered, burned, and aged hand.

Last edited:
REAGAN fly

Nope, given up on The Day After. It was a stupid distraction from Duck and Cover.

And another reaches down and pulls him out.

"Don't worry President Reagan, we're here with you."

This could be an interesting arc, 1 week after the farmer leaves with the new president, Mr.Reagan emerges from the wreckage, and goes on his own revenge mission against the u.s.s.r, flying an ac-130 from what is left of say Andrews, he flies to Russia and...

This could be an interesting arc, 1 week after the farmer leaves with the new president, Mr.Reagan emerges from the wreckage, and goes on his own revenge mission against the u.s.s.r, flying an ac-130 from what is left of say Andrews, he flies to Russia and...

Now, now, that belongs in the ASB forum.

[FONT=&quot]One of the congressmen from Rhode Island began to cry, Ted Kennedy walked up and placed his hand on the younger man’s shoulder and guided him to a seat.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The world was over.
[/FONT]

That fellow would have been Fernand St. Germain from the first district as Claudine Schneider from the second district is female. The First took the brunt of the hits... that district held Providence, Newport and Bristol Counties. City of Providence is gone. City of Newport and the War College is gone Going by the map is looks like they hit the industrial center in Pawtucket (though i cant tell it may be Warwick in Kent County as there is a larger population but not much industry) as well. Bristol county likely burned from the strikes in Providence and the neighboring hits in New Bedford and Fall River Mass.

In the second district containing Kent and Washington (affectionately referred to as South County) counties it looks like the only hit may have been at Quonset NAS/Electric Boat facility. Though Radiation from Hartford, Groton etc would make life hell. There may some pockets of life in places like Hope Valley in the Chariho school district (Charstown Richmond Hopkinton). Geography would offer some protection from fallout. Western Scituate and Coventry would hold some survivors as well.

I would be 7 years old living in Warwick and would likely have either burned to death in the firestorm caused by the Providence hot or slowly died of radiation poisoning. Or gone up in a flash if that strike was Warwick and not Pawtucket.

edit: scratch that, i'm dead. I took another look at that map and seems like both Warwick (pop appx. 80,0000) and Pawtucket (pop appx 50,000) were hit. Both would fall in line with Soviet doctrine as tertiary targets.

Last edited:
I feel like I owe you guys an epilogue. I'm done with P&S it's been a fun ride though I haven't been able to keep up with it with so much in my life changing so fast. Here is my last episode of Duck and Cover. Enjoy.

Last edited:
The End
July 4th 1986

As conditions improved throughout much of early 1986, contact between the regional powers in the former United States began to improve. It was hard to describe the country at this point as a unified nation. The crucial first months when the Greenbrier had accidentally slipped into silence had caused what some feared was unrepairable damage.

When the Senators and Congressmen stepped blinking out into the sun, the country around them had changed. Though it was only a little over a month since the bombs fell, any shred of legitimacy that they had hoped to retain had been stripped. Buzzing about them, smaller groups all jostled for control of the country.

While the regions did work together with tact respect, infrequent (though usually bloodless) border clashes threatened to tear the peace apart. Looking back it is interesting to note that the very forces that destroyed the Soviet Union kept the United States together. With a wide array of strategic and tactical nuclear weapons missing and unaccounted for the fear of a nuclear civil war kept heated claims to national power in check. A second and more unusual trait of the American leaders also kept the country together. None of them had wanted to become the leader of the nation in the first place. They were bureaucrats, and teachers, Governors and soldiers. The War had thrown them into positions of power not personal gain and glory. After years of mistakes and suffering they wanted release, permission of disappear into the country and people that they called their own.
The Second Constitutional Convention of 1986 was then not so much the ascendency of a region or coalition of regions over another, but rather the resignation letter by every major political force that threatened to tear the country apart.

*The New President slowly wiped his hand across his brow and looked out across the new capital. An empty stretch of woods and plains contained so much hope and so much fear. Would they not make the mistakes of their forefathers? Would they hold up peace? Would they survive? Standing there he could almost see it, covered in cars and buildings and people and smiles and peace.

Kicking a small clod of dirt with his boot, he pulled his jacket close watching the city grow in the back of his mind. A presidential mansion here, a congress building there, a memorial to the War and all wars would sit on its own over... Here, he decided finally. A small tree grew by a lake.

We should build a building around the tree, he thought, refreshed by the blood of patriots and tyrants the liberty tree could grow and blossom and one day peace… One day, his mind whipped back the screams the sirens the shouts and the horror. He began to cry silent tears dripping onto the roots. One day was all it took.

Not the end but a beginning :)

Contrary to the last post...Duck and Cover ISN'T at the End :)

After consultation with Gen_Patton and with the realization that Duck and Cover! is to the American saga of the protect and Survive Universe what Protect and Survive...Duck and Cover will continue...I'll take up the parts of the Duck and Cover saga as hopefully other authors will want to join in and add to the tapestry of the world of the 1984 War.

Don't worry, Land of Flatwater isn't going anywhere, not by a longshot, in fact LoF, along with That Damned Bridge are nearing a serious crossroads..

Calling All Would Be Authors...If you have something, don't stand on the sidelines. Don't get scared...bring your imagination and dive in!

If you have an original idea...propose it on the When The Wind Blew Thread...If you want to take one of the pieces Duck and Cover (Cleveland, The Singer, Texas, Georgia) and make it a template...propose it and we'll see what you got. The only rule is that the basic canon of P&S is set, that doesn't mean that there is room for variation because there is a lot of room for variation. Most of the world isn't represented and we'd like it...Calling Canadians, South Americans, Asians, European...everybody worldwide who is a part of AH.com...If you have an idea and want in? Propose an idea. :)

I will say right off that pledged to Patton that I would stay true to his original vision, it was a vision and spawned the American story of the 1984 War. Gen_Patton and Duck and Cover begat Chipperback and Land of Flatwater...and in turn both begat Pro Aris Pro Focus and That Damned Bridge and so on..and we all came from the great original...

America gone. World gone. This country has been attacked with nuclear weapons. This is the world of Protect and Survive.

Contrary to the last post...Duck and Cover ISN'T at the End :)

After consultation with Gen_Patton and with the realization that Duck and Cover! is to the American saga of the protect and Survive Universe what Protect and Survive...Duck and Cover will continue...I'll take up the parts of the Duck and Cover saga as hopefully other authors will want to join in and add to the tapestry of the world of the 1984 War.

Don't worry, Land of Flatwater isn't going anywhere, not by a longshot, in fact LoF, along with That Damned Bridge are nearing a serious crossroads..

Calling All Would Be Authors...If you have something, don't stand on the sidelines. Don't get scared...bring your imagination and dive in!

If you have an original idea...propose it on the When The Wind Blew Thread...If you want to take one of the pieces Duck and Cover (Cleveland, The Singer, Texas, Georgia) and make it a template...propose it and we'll see what you got. The only rule is that the basic canon of P&S is set, that doesn't mean that there is room for variation because there is a lot of room for variation. Most of the world isn't represented and we'd like it...Calling Canadians, South Americans, Asians, European...everybody worldwide who is a part of AH.com...If you have an idea and want in? Propose an idea. :)

I will say right off that pledged to Patton that I would stay true to his original vision, it was a vision and spawned the American story of the 1984 War. Gen_Patton and Duck and Cover begat Chipperback and Land of Flatwater...and in turn both begat Pro Aris Pro Focus and That Damned Bridge and so on..and we all came from the great original...

America gone. World gone. This country has been attacked with nuclear weapons. This is the world of Protect and Survive.

this would be cool on a wiki.:cool:

Duck and Cover: Bird, Snakes and Aeroplanes. 4/1/1984

South Dakota -- Sunday April 1, 1984 -- 12:30am Mountain Daylight Time

"You will be detained until further notice..You get those trailers open and off load any material."

RAT-TAT-TAT!!!

Weapons fire rang through the night. The fighters waiting in the trailers pounced on the luckless reservation policemen.

"Fire into the tree line"

The troop automatically aimed a set of shoulder mounted rockets at the trees behind them. They each fired, and a volley of eight rockets roared to the trees. The phosphor explosion nullified the night for an instant. A group of young Lakota men would see the Great Spirit at that moment.

Within 15 minutes, the battle was over. The invaders scooped up their wounded, close the trailers and hauled west at all the speed they could get out of their Kenworths.

"EMERGENCY. EMERGENCY. THIS IS PINE RIDGE. WE HAVE BEEN ATTACKED BY UNKNOWNS. CHADRON NCF THIS PINE RIDGE OVER."

near the California/Oregon border -- Sunday April 1, 1984 -- 6:05am Pacifc Daylight Time.

"Wolfpack leader to Wolf Den...come in."

"Acknowledged Wolfpack Leader..."

"We are two miles from initial target. AWACS reports ground in place...OVER."

"Affirmative Wolfpack Leader...Make them count...and lets get our President back...."

"Target in 6.....5....4.....3...2.....BOMBS AWAY!!!"

The F-14 Tomcats each delievered their bombs flanked by a group of A-10s, protected by a ring of upgunned T/F-38 Talons.

It was a bombing run in a night full of them. It had been five days since Air Force One, carrying the acting President was shot down.

This morning, ground troops of marines and naval infantry had made a move toward the enemy compound along the California-Oregon border. The shadowy figure known as "The Colonel" was feeling the noose tighten around his neck.

THIS IS THE NEVADA NATIONAL GUARD PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND SURRENDER.”

The smaller of the two guards opened his mouth to talk. The taller of the two guards shot him a furious glance. The smaller guard snapped it shut, tapping his bare feet nervously on the floor.

“ Now listen,” the Colonel shouted up the stairs, “I have the president, and I wouldn't think twice before shooting him.”

He roughly grabbed the President and shoving the barrel of a gun up to the president's head forced him into the doorway.

He listened for a second. Nothing.

“ It's your choice.”

Something clunked down the stairs spewing a noxious gas.

The teargas smoke startled the Colonel...In a panic he fired...and fired again....and again...

a church in Concordia, Kansas -- Sunday April 1, 1984 -- 9:30am Central Standard Time

The town administrator was harried. "What do we know?"

The national guardsman replied. "Last night, we looked at the border. There are guard posts set up along the highways. They could be preparing to attack."

Another council member suggested. "Or they could just be taking inventory. These are fellow Americans here. Why would some Nebraska town attack us?"

"Why wouldn't they?" the guardsman suggested. "We have to take everything into account."

At the far end of the room, a stocky, weatherbeaten man sits casually holding two hunting guns.

"You need to lighten up," the man said calmly. "I'm with the mayor on this. You weekend wienies need to calm the fuck down."

The national guardsman turned on the man. "You are still the same cocky asshole you were in high school. Mister big-time pro star. You ain't shit now."

The man smiled. "You are just upset that the war happened without you, chickenshit. Still thinking you are in the JROTC."

The national guardsman reared up as if he wanted to attack the other man. The strapping hunter stayed ice cold. "G'won son," he said derisively, "Make your move. I could use a good opportunity to kick somebody's ass."

Another guardsman rushed into the room, "Sir, we have a confirmed radio contact."

"Yes?" the administrator said. "Just got a reply. He is confirmed to be here."

"Where?"

"Russell. He's on the ground here."

"Who is he?" the national guard leader asked.

"A man we need to restore a credible civilian government in Kansas."

"What about the Nebraskans?"

The administrator said. "What about them? They haven't done anything to us. We will not do anything to them."

He turned to the national guardsmen and some of the other troops who followed him. "I want you to get in contact with Russell. Make the arrangements to get him here. Then contact Manhattan and Lawrence. Get me that professor in Lawrence we've been talking to on the radio.. They've had contact with Nebraska. I need to talk to anybody in charge up there.."

"What if they don't wish to talk,"

"They'll talk."

"Yeah. Sure."

The commander got up and walked out. The city mayor/administrator never saw the grenade...But the hunter did..

The hunter raced toward the mayor, and then flung both of them out of the nearest window..

The window shattered as the grenade detonated.

Gunfire followed. Confusion followed.

Rome, Georgia -- Sunday April 1, 1984 -- 1:05pm Eastern Standard Time.

The Secretary was flanked by aides and troops as he left the church.

Donald Regan felt he could get used to this. The senior federal civilian representative had set up a regional government here.

By this date, he was well aware of the federal government out in Washington. Once the situation stablized there, he would be moved to Columbia. Apparently, Donald Regan was the highest person in the line of succession remaining.

He walked out of the church toward the small sedan along the driveway.

"Sic semper tyrannis!"

Three shots hit the center mass of the Secretary, three other hits his aides.

Some members of the crowd tackled the gunman. He was a disgrunted member of what used to be known as the "Alliance of American Values". A group of largest white supremacists who had been subdued by federal troops weeks before.

The worst damage was already done.

a steel plant in Cleveland, Ohio -- Sunday April 1, 1984 -- 3:55pm

The Mayor of Cleveland was touring the city's biggest steel plant. Like much of the surviving industrial capacity of the state, it never stopped running.

"Sir, we need to consider some downtime. Its a question of power and of manpower. We're chewing people up and spitting them out here," the plant manager pleaded.

"We can't slow down now," the Mayor shot back. "The defense plants up river need this steel. Ohio needs a strong capable defense and then ability to keep order. This is a CCCP priority."

"I understand, but who are we really fighting against? The war is over."

"The war is never over," the Mayor said. "We have radio reports that the Soviets are landing troops in Minnesota and Wisconsin. We may have to become independent and self-sufficient. Remember how the Feds snubbed this town for some place out in the middle of nowhere."

"And there's this increasing internal resistance. Damn ingrate refugees...and having that little runt bastard back around agitating doesn't help anything."

The plant manager shot back, "Well maybe if your damn CCCP acted more humane you wouldn't have the problems you have."

"You best mind yourself, sir...I can get another plant manager like that."

Just as the Mayor snapped his fingers...The flash filled the plant...Followed by a series of explosions..

It was 4:00pm Eastern Standard Time. Explosions and fire engulfed the large building. Refugee workers scrambled for anyplace to escape. Hundreds died in the explosions..

The Mayor's body was never found.

World serves its own needs,
listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and
the revered and the right, right. You vitriolic,
patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty
psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Happy April Fools Day. World still gone mad. Country still gone mad. -- Welcome back to Duck and Cover.

Last edited: