Duck and Cover! An American Spinoff of Protect and Survive.

I have an idea of what the United States will look like in 2020, and it is roughly like the Holy Roman Empire, I'll discuss it more when I post the map of the US in 2020.

That's a rather extreme direction which things would take if we end up with Disunited States. I agree that there is a strong potential for disunity, but as I have also explained quite clearly on the main P&S thread, by 2020 the world will have recovered to a very significant degree and international trade and exchange will again be the order of the day albeit in a more limited form.

If the United States remains as a polity then, I would not be surprised if indeed as you may imply through the HRE comment. That its political structure and constitution is very different from what it was in 1984. Asymetric federalism might be the order of the day, various rights and prerogatives for various states and a much more unequal number of "governmental layers" between various parts and states of the Union.

I bet that a lot of military communication infrastructure has survived in some form, ARPANET structure mades the whole network survivable to a degree. Nevertheless the botched evacuation of Reagan and the mistakes made with regards to the continuity of power will have very severe consequences it seems.

Part IV: The Sounds of Silence

Armageddon + 14 Days

Pax Americana [2]:

Rome’s rapid growth was only outpaced by the rapid pace of reconstruction efforts. The town had swollen to nearly 40,000 people, and small favellas were sprouting up around the refugee centers. Under the guide of the local government, these favellas were quickly improved, with latrines and crude shower facilities were set up. The refuges, quickly nicknamed “fugees,” happily supplied most of the labor for these projects. Fugees also found work clearing the highways of car wrecks and debris, as well as portaging food supplies down their recently cleared highways. These two jobs were the most dangerous, roving bands of bandits frequently attacked the crews clearing the streets filled with cars they hoped to loot

Those assigned to portage duty were at even more risk. As food became scarce the bandits grew bolder and more desperate in their attacks on any source of food. The most infamous attack of a Roman food supply occurred around 7 o’clock in the evening local time at a food warehouse 10 miles outside of Rome. Over a hundred bandits attacked the building, which was guarded by less than a full squad of paratroopers. In the initial assault their radioman was injured and their radio was damaged. With no hope of calling reinforcements, the seven paratroopers retreated inside, and held the building for nearly 10 hours. When reinforcements finally arrived a few minutes after five o’clock the next morning, the bandits had suffered nearly 85 causalities and the paratroopers suffered one wounded. The men quickly became national heroes and led the Fourth of July parade that year.

The reconstruction of the area around Rome is now the basis of many local legends. To many the new Rome was built in a day. Teams of fugees and volunteers quickly were sent to work the fields and other kinds of more specialized industry began to grow out of one of the most unusual areas. The Georgia Department of Corrections had before Armageddon one of the best prison manufacturing projects in the country. After the collapse many of these factories were filled with fugees while the convicts were sent on different assignments.

The convicts in the Georgia prison system now found themselves recruited into specialized teams. The less dangerous found themselves used as slave labor on farms, road projects, and other reconstruction efforts. There were some major differences between the labor by the fugees and the “most dangerous” convitcts. The fugees work while back breaking was never inherently dangerous. The most dangerous jobs were left for the convicts to do. Many of the most dangerous convicts were sent into black zones in order to search for what the government was to call “valuable material.” Few returned. While some were later found as members of bandit gangs who operated out of the dangerous black zones, most would eventually die from the prolonged exposure to heavy doses of radiation. Very little “valuable materials” were found.

All convicts on death row were killed within 3 days of the first strike. Firing squad was the most popular option, followed by hangings.

The Secretary was pleased at how fast things were happening around Rome. The use of Convict teams was initially attacked as un-constitutional until he simply read the 13th amendment out loud during one of his many speeches.

“Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.”

Once it was clear where the power was coming from, few people argued. They were criminals, this was their new punishment. And it was better that convicts were being forced into the radioactive hell holes as opposed to fugees or locals.

As the Farmer drove his ancient truck to a old warehouse now being converted into a workshop by the government, he passed by a large open field where fugees and volunteers were tilling the fields for the next month’s planting. He pulled over and offered some water to one of the workers closest to him. “Thanks you.” Was the small quiet, the tired reply before the Farmer got into his truck again and took off.

A little while on he stopped and pulled out a map. If he took this road here he could cut nearly 3 miles off the route. And with the way gas prices were going… he took the short cut and for years regretted it.

Halfway along the Farmer saw a bunch of fugees standing along the road in front of a hill. They must be working on some project on the other side of the hill, he thought, they’re probably thirsty. He pulled his truck over and stepped out to offer water, and nearly vomited all over himself. The fugees were standing in front of a huge pit. One of the fugees looked emotionlessly over. “You never thought about it much did you?” The Farmer stepped back and vomited on the road next to his tire.

The pit was filled with bodies. Hand dug by fugees, volunteers, and convicts the immense mass grave was slowly being filled in by a team of convicts near the hill of dirt. They were quckly throwing in bodies from a large mound obscured from the road by the hill of excavated dirt.

“Who were they?” the Farmer choked.

“The sick, the radiation poisoned, the infirm, the starved, the ‘non cooperative,’ nobody knows.” One of the Fugees answered. At the mention of diseased bodies the Farmer stumbled backward. The Fugees laughed.

“There are too many bodies to bury this way,” a second fugee said finally after a long silence.

“Were gonna start burning them soon. It’s more sanatary” The Foreman walked up, his armband quickly notifying all around who he was. “What exactly are you doing here?” he asked the Farmer. “And what did you tell this man?” he asked the fugees.

None of the fugees responded and shuffled their feet. “Come on boys you don’t want me to write you up as ‘non cooperative’ do you?”

One mumbled something about that the pit contained human remains.

“I’m on official government business” the farmer quickly interjected, hastily pulling out the hand signed Letter of Free Passage.

The Foreman studied it for a moment. “Looks official. So what does the government think of our work here.”

“I’m mortified.” The Farmer said aghast “It’s almost inhumane.”

That got a bigger laugh from the fugees, even the Foreman joined in.

“We can’t afford to be human anymore”

The Grand Dragon walked among the assembled masses. The white clad members of his organization were quickly being joined by other likeminded people here in Stone Mountain. Nazis, KKK members, and even a few Southern Secessionists had traveled across immense distances to reach this rally point. He walked past the immeasurable thousands up to the platform. He tapped the microphone and began. “We have a chance to purify this country that no one else has ever had the chance to…”

Last edited:
Looks like a tough customer. According to his wiki page, "In 1994, Shelton said, 'The Klan is my belief, my religion.'

He will be a great foil to the Secretary.

UPDATE

Part IV: A Brave New World

Armageddon + 14 Days

The Last City on Earth [2]:

One could say Cleveland, Ohio was the luckiest city on earth. The Russian warhead aimed at the Midwestern city either missed by a few hundred miles, or never left the ground.

By an act of fate Cleveland was now the most powerful city in America, with the largest airport, and the largest industrial sector, it now had a monopoly on modern manufacturing and transportation in the remains of the country. However Cleveland was now also the most populous city.

People need to be fed. People need to be kept clam. People need to be led. Or there will be riots. There will be bloodshed. There will be anarchy.

The Cleveland Troubles started when the Mayor stepped down from office two day after the attack. His wife and children were in New York City for a wedding during the attacks. He had to stay behind and help manage and prepare Cleveland for a war. After the strikes were reported that NYC suffered multiple direct hits, the suppressed depression that lingered from the death of the Mayor’s youngest daughter in a car accident became clear. Two days after stepping down a mayor, he committed suicide.

The new Mayor was also a Republican, but unlike Mayor Voinovich he held little of the previous Mayor’s charm, political skill, or popular support. Unsure of himself and fearful of making a mistake, he called an emergency committee made of many of the most prominent political and business figures in Cleveland. They soon had manipulated themselves a large amount of power from the Mayor.

Within hours of the nuclear strikes, any surviving Air Force aircraft returning from missions in the Soviet Union found out that Cleveland had the only runway long enough to allow their planes to land. Due to the unauthorized work of Cleveland Hopkins International tower control personnel, most that did survive the cross continental flight found a safe place to land.

In the crucial first week after the strike, the newly formed Mayor’s Council imposed martial law and overzealous rationing policies. In enforcing these new policies, two Cleveland police officers shot a young African-American child who was wandering in the streets with a toy gun after dark. His body was found riddled with 18 bullets the next day.

When the officers were unpunished from a police tribunal (citing the emergency the city was in) the young boy’s neighborhood and many of the surrounding neighborhoods erupted into riots. The police force attempted to quell the riots, but when many rioters began to get their hands of powerful firearms, the Cleveland police were soon finding themselves out manned.

The local National Guard unit was called in to help stop the riots. In scenes that would be reminiscent of the Mai-Lai massacre, soldiers untrained in the finesse of stopping a riot simply gunned down rioters in the streets.

As the death toll of the rioters rose, the spread and fury of the riots rose. The Cleveland Plain Dealer, the local newspaper ran the headline:

NO Mai-Lai in My Town.

The handful of Air Force bombers and fighters refused to carry out bombing strikes in civilian neighborhoods as the Mayor’s Council asked. It was then that the Mayor’s Council and the local National Guard unit sent out an all call for any remaining Ohio National Guard units to reinforce the outmanned troops in Cleveland. The arrival of the armored units, especially their tanks, quickly put an end to the riots. By the end of the first week, Cleveland now had one of the largest Armies in the surviving areas.

Incidentally it was because of this call for reinforcements that the FEMA team had heard of the survival of the city of Cleveland. Cleveland expected to naturally become the provisional capital of the United States, the departure of the FEMA team after their brief layover left a bitter taste in the Mayor’s Council’s mouth.

As refugees poured into the city, they began to set up "Relocation Camps" to isolate the refugees from the locals of Cleveland, who knew what diseases they brought.

*The Refugee was standing in line outside one of the half dozen Relocation Camps outside of Cleveland. The 100 acre camp was surrounded by a double layer of tall chain link fences, both electrified, barbed wire and patrolling armed guards.

The refugees were only let in through a small gate which led past a small table, were a clerk sat flanked by a guard. Finally after days of waiting, the Refugee stepped through the archway and up to the small table. The clerk asked a barrage of questions without looking up:

“Name?”

Answer.

“Date of Birth?”

Answer.

“Previous City?”

Answer.

“Any Military Experience?”

No.

“Any Agricultural Experience?”

No.

“Any Tradecraft Experience?”

No.

After furiously scribbling on a form he said “Go down to the next station.” Followed by a loud “Next!”

The Refugee walked though half a dozen more stations. His clothes were confiscated for “health reasons” and he was handed a loose fitting blue jumper in exchange. Passed from station to station, he was quickly relieved of his paper money, his hair (also for “health reasons”), and all of his personal belongings except for a family photograph.

After losing everything he owned, at the last station he was handed a card. On the card was his name (in small print), his age, and a serial number, #12147 (in large print). It notified that his building was A5B. Ominously printed in large letters at the top was the phrase “REFUGEE RESTRICTIONS.” On the back the phrase “DO NOT LOSE THIS CARD” was printed in large block letters. He placed the card in the top left pocket of his jumpsuit, were a hastily sewn white capital “R” stood out prominently.

The Refugee walked to “Residential Block A,” down one of the dirt rows outlining the crudely constructed wooden buildings. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. And down to the second building on the left. A, B. He walked over to a small cot on the floor, where a hastily scribbled “#12147” placard was placed on the center of the bed. He placed his photograph beneath the pillow and went to study a paper near the door.

After looking at the schedule tacked to the inside of the door frame he saw that it was getting close to dinner, and time for “formation.” The Refugee hastily ran out. He didn’t want to miss another meal.

Last edited:
The main problem Cleveland faces in the short term is the fact that fallout would affect large parts of Ohio from the strikes in the Midwest exactly where would be hard to tell but once reports about people dying from radiation sickness reach the city panic would ensue quickly,unlike other problems this would not be easy to control.Local officials would not be able to calm fears since they would not know exactly where and how ,to determine that you would need accurate up to date weather data combined with data about strikes and these would be lacking.

That is partially the idea behind the relocation camps. If people don't see the refugees dropping dead from radiation sickness, they can ignore the stories as rumors. Its all manipulative psychology.

*[/SIZE][/FONT] The Grand Dragon walked among the assembled masses. The white clad members of his organization were quickly being joined by other likeminded people here in Stone Mountain. Nazis, KKK members, and even a few Southern Secessionists had traveled across immense distances to reach this rally point. He walked past the immeasurable thousands up to the platform. He tapped the microphone and began. “We have a chance to purify this country that no one else has ever had the chance to…”

Uh oh. Not good.

Uh oh. Not good.

I assumed this would happen, the KKK, NAZIs, and the CSA supporters were in decline, but Armageddon would allow some closet racists to show they're true colors.

I need some help, how do you see Nevada turning out, the next installment is set there, and I want it to be accurate:

Who is Govenor of Nevada at this time?

How would refugees from the strikes in northern Mexico play out?

Do we see the Mexican drug cartels taking on a more political role after the strikes?

There is very little farmable land in Nevada, how would this affect the food situation?

We are assuming that only 1 strike hit Nevada, Reno, how would the Hoover Dam fit in the post war world?

One strike in Nevada?Nellis AFB alone would have received multiple hits,not counting strikes on Reno,NAS Fallon,Hawthorne Army depot all of these would receive hits no way someone forgot or all the warheads malfunctioned.
As for the rumours of people dying from radiation sickness keeping things quiet would be impossible since the guys running Cleveland would be as interested in where the fallout is heading as the average guy,it doesn't matter who you are as long as you are in its path.

I don't know how to exactly cover the radiation problem. Perhaps have one of the many chemical plants in Cleveland begin to produce mass quantities of KI?

During the first 2 weeks the worst hit by radiation would be the refugees, they would be coming from strike riddled areas. Perhaps the westerlies will help. They will be pushing most of the high altitude radiation to the north, toward Canada and most radiation would past Cleveland in a month or so. If you check the map most of the high altitude winds are moving away from Cleveland.

As I mentioned earlier, Cleveland very narrowly misses radiation clouds. I think. Unfortunately, this means that anyone who wants to travel to the city from the south or east is going to have to travel through some fallout.

It's acting like a shield.

I had hoped Voinavich would have remained in office. He really was a good mayor. I can't say I'm surprised though. He was devestated when his daughter died in 1979 and this is about a hundred times worse.

The Terminal Tower is probably going to become a massive symbol in the upcoming years.

The Terminal Tower will become a dual-symbol, to the refugees it will become a symbol of oppression and the police city-state that Cleveland becomes, and to the locals it will become a symbol of civilization among the storm.

I did hope to keep Voinavich in power, however I had to be realistic, he would be devastated without his family and unfit to lead. I made the character of the new Mayor up, I didn't know who Voinavich's assistant Mayor was so I used creative license to make a realistic politician in over their head.

As I stated earlier, disease and radiation are two of the reasons the Cleveland government set up the concentration camps for refugees, those factors can easily cause a volatile situation to restart.

Does anyone know how hard it is to "convert" a factor from one use to another?

How hard would it be for the Cleveland to begin producing parts for aircraft, guns, and even processed foods starting with the chemical plants, automobile factories, and other factories in their city?

Can the NASA guys at the research station help them create high-tech parts for their fighters and bombers?

How hard would it be for the Cleveland to begin producing parts for aircraft, guns, and even processed foods starting with the chemical plants, automobile factories, and other factories in their city?

Can the NASA guys at the research station help them create high-tech parts for their fighters and bombers?

Well, at the point of divergence the Rust Belt was hitting Cleveland pretty hard. It had become a washed out city filled with abandoned factories and manufacturing plants. The Flats, which had once been an economic pillar for the city, had crumbled and crime was on the rise.

If the funding is there, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to convert these abandoned factories into something greater. The necessary materials are all there, you just need the will power and funding.

I need some help, how do you see Nevada turning out, the next installment is set there, and I want it to be accurate:

Who is Govenor of Nevada at this time?

We are assuming that only 1 strike hit Nevada, Reno, how would the Hoover Dam fit in the post war world?

Governor of Nevada is Richard Bryan.

Hoover Dam can operate without supervision for about a year. After that point, the Quagga Mussles clog the pipelines to the point where an automatic shutdown is forced.

Well they have tons of manpower from the refugees, as well as the need to get these factories running. They need to manufacture things to keep a growing city of millions ticking. They can scavenge industrial machines or recreate their own. I believe that there is a need and the Cleveland government will expend millions of their "kilo-calorie based" money to get the city's industrial sector humming again. (The money will be discussed in greater detail later.)

Do you happen to know how those mussels are cleaned out of the pipes? Can it be done by hand?

Last edited:

stalkere

Banned
Yeah, well. But would you want to commute too far...? :p

The question is Why would the US military place bases so close to major cities?

Answer - when the bases were built, they were a LONG way from the major cities.

Especially by the pre-WWII standards. I mean, Nellis AFB was out in the middle of abso-fracking-lutely nowhere. Las Vegas was a a small town.

Same for Edwards AFB. A hardship post, not a suburb of Los Angeles.

The training bases around the little town of San Antonio were sited precisely because they were a long way from town. nowadays, they are inside the city limits.

stalkere

Banned
One strike in Nevada?Nellis AFB alone would have received multiple hits,not counting strikes on Reno,NAS Fallon,Hawthorne Army depot all of these would receive hits no way someone forgot or all the warheads malfunctioned.
As for the rumours of people dying from radiation sickness keeping things quiet would be impossible since the guys running Cleveland would be as interested in where the fallout is heading as the average guy,it doesn't matter who you are as long as you are in its path.

Why are you guys assuming Nellis would take a bunch of hits - especially in '84.

Think - what is the Soviet target strategy?

They want to take out American counterforce, but not US manufacturing capacity, nor american technology.

Hint - you cannot loot what you have already destroyed...

Destroying SAC, destroying TAC, USAFE, PACAF, NOB, SUBLANT, SUBPAC - all the forces that can threaten the Rodina - that makes sense.

Taking out NYC and LA to take out the secondary governmental centers after DC - that makes sense.

Taking out transportation hubs - everywhere three or more highways or railroads meet - that makes sense.

Even nuking Wendover, Detrick, Holabird and Toelle Army depots, to make sure nobody tries to smuggle those in for a retaliation strike later.

I don't know how to exactly cover the radiation problem. Perhaps have one of the many chemical plants in Cleveland begin to produce mass quantities of KI?

During the first 2 weeks the worst hit by radiation would be the refugees, they would be coming from strike riddled areas. Perhaps the westerlies will help. They will be pushing most of the high altitude radiation to the north, toward Canada and most radiation would past Cleveland in a month or so. If you check the map most of the high altitude winds are moving away from Cleveland.

That yellow west-pointing arrow is poorly placed. The radiation from strikes north of (about) the 38th Parallel would probably waft toward the lower Great Lakes. This would be especially true from late October through late March.

Nellis makes sense first for runway lenght just long enough to have a B-52 take off, SAC strategy in the event of war was dispersal exactly where and how was always a tightly kept secret precisely to make the soviets have as large a number of targets to take out as possible and eliminate the bomber force in one strike.Because of this not only would air force bases be targeted but also civilian airports of a certain size you have to assume either that they would be taken over by the army before the war or during the war.As said the exact strategy for attack was never know but you have to assume the worst.Add to this the rest of the army for the soviets their concern would be not only taking out the nuclear arsenal but also the remaining conventional force since it can still fight and presumably would not surrender since the country is already in ruins.A functioning destroyer can still attack and destroy soviet ships a fighter jet can still destroy targets on the ground.Even so surviving forces would continue the fight for weeks and months,on the high seas ships of both sides that survived would strike at whatever they consider hostile.But the places with high concentrations of such weapons have to be eliminated.Better to take them out and not continue the war for who knows how long.There would be other reasons like the fact that you have to assume that the enemy has stockpiled weapons in secret in some places.Just because officially there are no nukes or chemical weapons at a certain army post doesn't mean some would not be brought at the last minute as part of some dispersal strategy.So Nellis is on the target list.:D