Duck and Cover! An American Spinoff of Protect and Survive.

Interesting spinoff...

...from "Protect and Survive". It fascinates me in the way snakes are said to fascinate birds. As for my survival, in '84 I was living on an out of the way horse ranch, right smack dab between Spokane (Known target) and Fairchild AFB (Major SAC base, a certain target). If my dopplegänger in this timeline was real lucky, he was out in the open with no forewarning when the nukes hit, both were air bursts, he was knocked out by the flash and/or shockwave and died from 3rd degree burns before waking up. If he was real unlucky, he's stocked up the basement with water and canned foods, duct taped the door closed when the warnings went out, then peeped out, rifle in hand, two weeks later.

Why unlucky? Because this is a world I would not want to live in...

UPDATE!

I'll have a story update sometime next week. Thanks for the support guys. I do have have some population figures for y'all now.

According to the Secretary's list here is the total number of deaths in the hit cities alone, the figure may shock you but this is if every soul in the city dies, and the surrounding county! It took me along time to get the list and do the math, but here is the total:

Deaths according to the Secretary's List:

from this I can easily see 140 million deaths being easily a good figure of this TL.

Last edited:
Lived in Maple Heights, Ohio. Akron might do damage if it was an airburst, but I probably survived.

Alright..I'm in

I asked for it...and we're getting one...while I'm struggling with a smaller-scale version of my own :)

Looking forward to more General :)

Macragge1

Banned
Just got back from my holidays and I'm rather pleased to find this - I'm really enjoying it so far, Patton; you've got the style right and you're painting an interesting picture of stuff I haven't even touched upon. Looking forward to the next update! Just realised that Aberdeen WA getting glassed means a young Kurdt Kobain is probably out of the picture; a very grim world indeed.

I'm looking forward to whatever you're working on too, Chipperback; sometimes I think the smaller scale is the way to go - it's certainly easier than trying to cover the whole world as I kinda have.

I asked for it...and we're getting one...while I'm struggling with a smaller-scale version of my own :)

Looking forward to more General :)

Just got back from my holidays and I'm rather pleased to find this - I'm really enjoying it so far, Patton; you've got the style right and you're painting an interesting picture of stuff I haven't even touched upon. Looking forward to the next update! Just realised that Aberdeen WA getting glassed means a young Kurdt Kobain is probably out of the picture; a very grim world indeed.

I'm looking forward to whatever you're working on too, Chipperback; sometimes I think the smaller scale is the way to go - it's certainly easier than trying to cover the whole world as I kinda have.

Thanks a lot for the support, I was kind of afraid of what you might think about what I did to your TL. :D But I need clarification, is the Secretary's list absolutly accurate or can I tweak with it a little, I'm thinking of leaving Aberdeen WA alive as opposed to glassed. I want it to be the HQ for FEMA in the TL. What do you think?

Macragge1

Banned
Thanks a lot for the support, I was kind of afraid of what you might think about what I did to your TL. :D But I need clarification, is the Secretary's list absolutly accurate or can I tweak with it a little, I'm thinking of leaving Aberdeen WA alive as opposed to glassed. I want it to be the HQ for FEMA in the TL. What do you think?

Feel free to tweak it; as with several elements of the TL, the list is in-story and so deliberately unclear/flawed etcetera, which gives one a little more breathing space when writing, such as here.

Feel free to tweak it; as with several elements of the TL, the list is in-story and so deliberately unclear/flawed etcetera, which gives one a little more breathing space when writing, such as here.

How bad was Canada hit? Particularly the area around Ottawa. I hope I'm still alive in this TL.

Not quite sure about Canada, I think its better off than America, but that's not saying much.

North Bay & Ottawa are probably gone, as is Toronto. Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg all have major airports that could perhaps support military aircraft as far as I know, so they'd probably be gone.

I don't see too many provincial capitals outside the Yukon & perhaps Prince Edward Island surviving either.

However, I do believe there may be a few surviving significant towns, though: If not Montreal & Saskatoon, then at least perhaps Brandon in Manitoba, Swift Current and Moose Jaw in SK, Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay, and Sudbury in Ontario, Saguenay & Chicoutimi in Quebec, Kelowna and Prince George in B.C., and maybe Wood Buffalo(Ft. McMurray) in Alberta(unless the Soviets thought it wasn't worth the risk to let the Tar Sands processing facilities go unharmed).

According to that list, no cities in Maryland were hit. Unfortunately, fallout from Washington is probably poisoning a good chunk of the state, depending on where and how strong the winds blow.

According to that list, no cities in Maryland were hit. Unfortunately, fallout from Washington is probably poisoning a good chunk of the state, depending on where and how strong the winds blow.

I noticed that also. I assume Maryland, like Deleware and Rhode Island, had practically all major cities hit, and is practically depopulated. That was a wierd quirk I don't think was intentional.

I noticed that also. I assume Maryland, like Deleware and Rhode Island, had practically all major cities hit, and is practically depopulated. That was a wierd quirk I don't think was intentional.

Probably a good assumption as to Maryland. I'd expect the DC suburbs to be hit very hard -- a lot of Federal facilities there including Andrews AFB -- plus Baltimore, Annapolis, Olney (major FEMA facility), Thurmont (Camp David) and Aberdeen. There might be some areas that are undamaged (parts of the Panhandle, Eastern shore and coast). But, even the undamaged areas would be heavily contaminated by fallout. Basically, everyone without a fallout shelter would die from radiation sickness.

Part II: Freedom

Part II: Freedom

Armageddon+6hrs

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.”-Ronald Regan 1961

The fires had died out, the winds had died down, and the dead lined the streets. And all was quiet. So began the First Day.
As we bumped into the new dawn, we cared little about the continuation of the so-called “United States.” Rather we cared about our families, our children, and survival. There was food somewhere, and we would fight, we would kill to get it. In this country where freedom reigned supreme, freedom is what killed us. There was no truly organized local post-strike planning; the War would never break out of course. There were no food distribution programs, no county commissioners, in fact the vestiges of the old government is all that we were left with, and those local governments were little help to anyone. In most areas there was anarchy, the United States of Anarchy.

* “Son we just don’t have enough room in the car. You can’t come. I’m sorry.” They weren’t giving him a ride. The Son stared at Mr. Jones. They wouldn’t give him a fucking ride. Mr. Jones started the car and drove off. The Son stared at the taillights as they faded into the distance. He watched for a long time. He was truly alone now. The Joneses were close family friends, and they had left him. The Son had known the Joneses since his family had moved to the Suburbs in kindergarten so many years ago. They were good friends. He stared at the little-red-wagon precariously topped with what meager supplies he could forage and grasped the handle. Turning north toward the City, the Son trudged off. He was on his own. He was afraid.

*The Fireman was charging down the street in full gear. The store they had left to burn a couple of hours ago had lit the stores to its sides on fire. Now the whole district, and the whole city were in danger. And it was technically all his crew’s fault. He grabbed a hose and ran toward the inferno, just as a burning, screaming figure burst out of one of the doors. The figure fell to the pavement. The Fireman looked up; everyone else on the crew was staring. Whoever the burning man was, they were beyond the Firecrew’s help. When the rest of the crew turned back to fighting the flames, the Fireman grabbed an axe and swung it. The screaming stopped.

*The Singer and the Ice-cream man had taken refuge in a meat locker in the butcher shop of the local supermarket. It was empty and the power was out. It was as good as any shelter, they had thought. Now, they were afraid of what was beyond the door. “I’ll do it.” The Ice-cream man finally said. He turned the handle and pushed it open. From the doorway The Singer stared into the maw of sheer anarchy. The Ice-cream man seized a butcher’s knife in one hand, and The Singer’s hand in the other. They stumbled together into the street.

*The Farmer was driving the Secretary into town. As the old truck bumped and rattled its way down the streets and back routes, the Secretary grew more nervous. “Where in god’s green earth are we going?” The Secretary barked. “Rome” the Farmer drawled,” it’s the biggest town near nuf’ to here. I reckon I’ll be droppin y’all off so you can continue to rule the country from there. That’s just hopin Rome ain’t a radioactive hole in the ground.” He smiled. “We’re close now, just a few more minutes.” The Secretary sighed and rested his head against the window; it was going to be a long drive. As he stared out the window he saw exactly why they were going in this ridiculously roundabout way to a town that was less than an hour’s drive down the highway. The highway was now a riot. Off in the distance burning cars, screaming and panicked people, mingled with gunfire and bloodshed. He stared transfixed at the carnage. It’s my job to prevent that. My job…

*The Cadet was standing attention in the basketball stadium. Enveloping him were the 1,400 other members of the Corps of Cadets all dressed in the Uniform of the Day: BDUs. A quiet tension filled the room. Most of the students looked like they hadn’t been affected by the bombs, but the Cadet knew they were just hiding it. His insides coiling and churning, he knew he was just hiding it. The Commandant of Cadets walked to the front of the formation. “ALRIGHT LISTEN UP I AM ONLY GOING TO SAY THIS ONCE” he bellowed. “Due to recent events the Corps has volunteered to help the emergency services. You will all be given assignments and are to carry them out in full. Listen to your squad leaders, they have further orders. Good luck. DISMISSED.” The Squad Leader coughed up his order “Follow me, no stragglers!” They ran at double time behind the Squad Leader, the Cadet taking up the rear. They came to an empty room, and the Squad Leader rushed them in and closed the door. “For now the college is on lockdown, we are to enforce lockdown in these Dorms.” The Squad Leader opened a map and began to read verbatim from the order sheet. He never read from the order sheet, the Cadet thought, and we have a shit load to do. “Enforce Lockdown… Establish contact with heads of each dorm…Help reconnaissance food options…Fight Fires…Enforce Public Laws with college police…Fight hostile parties…Manage influx of refugees…”

*The FEMA bunker had become a hotbed of anger. “GOD damn it!” shouted the Scientist (an atheist) “Cleveland is our best option, Large Airport, middle of food country, connections to Mississippi river, and MARS has already made contact. There is a government there!” The Director looked better than he was yesterday, and he proved it. “No, Cleveland will be a breeding ground for refugees and every problem that comes with them. Every person that can make it to Cleveland will, and not all of them will be good, happy, healthy citizens. How do you propose to feed all those people? Radioactive cows and corn? Bodies? It’s also in the center of the countries two biggest Black Zones, the East Coast and the Missile Bases in the north. How much radiation will be seeping into there? Far too much. No somewhere in Washington is our best bet, we can’t control the whole country it’s just far too big, but we can work with what we have.” He looked to the Radioman. “Tell the MARS people to see if they can get a message across to every Congressman, every Secretary, and every military unit left. Send them to Wala-Wala. We can work from there.” The Assistant was happy to see the Director taking charge. The first couple of minutes had her worried about his mental health, and she still was, the poor man had too much pressure on him.

Author's note: This is the second to last of the super disjointed telling where I follow every character. From there on out I will be following one character (storyline) an update.

Last edited:
HOT DAYUM!

:eek: DAYUM!!!!!!

Keep this coming, General! :)

I have a nice day off, so I plan on doing a lot of writing...

West Point survived? GOOD!

Though the more the story....stories...progress, we need an authority to give us some guidelines on the level of destruction. And that is you, Macragge. ;-) Without that guidance, we won't have the coherent picture that we, so I think, all look for by adopting the "Protect and Survive"-trademark.

I think that we had a good debate concerning the number of British survivors. If you act as a referee on debates of this kind, I think we can create a great deal of clarity wihout having to put everything into the bits of the superb stories.