Ok, I surrender🙏.

But for the record, I wasn't thinking by any means on a «cruiser killer», it's a waste and that's exactly what I want to avoid and should be avoided.

Last edited:
Ok, I surrender🙏.

But for the record, I wasn't thinking by any means on a «cruiser killer», that's exactly what I want to avoid and should be avoided.
If you're going to build a light capital ship that can't stand the line of battle with real battleships, all you're going to be able to do with it is fight off cruisers. Because you then have to optimize for the cruiser-killer role, you will have to accept less protection and torpedo defense in exchange for the speed you will need to hunt down cruisers. What else do you think these ships would be doing, and what makes do you think would pay for these instead of real battleships or more versatile cruisers, unless you create an arbitrary class of shops that basically don't exist outside of the British I-class cruisers.

Because I was thinking on the german spectrum of the issue not the british one. Yes, I know you're going to say that is the same as a fast battleship but for me is not, the germans themselves were still making the difference between Mackensens and Bayerns. Another example, the Renown, even with her reforms, was still a battlecruiser and was able to take on the SH and GN that in theory were «real» battleships. Again I don't know if am making my point clear, the «light» epithet was in reference to the maximum caliber not armor or displacement, just the caliber.

Any questions?

Because I was thinking on the german spectrum of the issue not the british one. Yes, I know you're going to say that is the same as a fast battleship but for me is not, the germans themselves were still making the difference between Mackensens and Bayerns.
You're looking too far in the past. The ships that would be canceled by a TTL Washington Treaty would be a generation or two after the Bayerns and Mackensens. We know that the Bayern follow-on was a fast superdreadnought comprable to Nagato and that the Mackensen follow-on was only a few knots faster. We don't know what would have come after that.
Another example, the Renown, even with her reforms, was still a battlecruiser and was able to take on the SH and GN that in theory were «real» battleships. Again I don't know if am making my point clear, the «light» epithet was in reference to the maximum caliber not armor or displacement, just the caliber.

Any questions?
Why do you think that the Twins are a design to be replicated? All indications are that they're under performance, setting aside the more general problems with large German warships, was largely attributable to the small size of the guns. They may have been able to land hits at long range, but those hits couldn't reasonably put the hurt on anything bigger than a heavy cruiser. They would have had to get in close to hurt anything with heavy armor, and that was just too risky compared to other options.

But they had the thickest armor, they should had been able to hold at least, and Renown had the same thickness as Tiger or, curious, Queen Mary, the same that supposedly explode because of thin armor and sister to Lion, the most mauled ship of the war, also with the same thickness and that didn't face, strictly, a different caliber

Last edited:
But they had the thickest armor, they should had been able to hold at least, and Renown had the same thickness as Tiger or, curious, Queen Mary, the same that supposedly explode because of thin armor and sister to Lion, the most mauled ship of the war, also with the same thickness and that didn't face, strictly, a different caliber
It's easy to mission kill a warship without going through the armor. The float bubble only protects floatation. The action at Lofoten was fought in enormous weather, and the problems that the Twins encountered attempting to engage Renown, along with the damage inflicted by Renown's early hits to the superstructures, would have reasonably forced any battleship, regardless of size, to break off the action. It would have been foolhardy for Lutjens to risk his battleships in the face of the British destroyers in an attempt to come to grips with Renown.

I know the battle orders of Hitler, but taking apart the destroyers and disregarding the weather, could they had taken Renown?, is my point.
Yes, they probably could have closed the range and taken down Renown, but what condition would they be in after that? A ship with bigger guns operating under similarly cautious orders could have engaged with effect from even farther out, which would have made withdrawal even easier if things got spicy. The Twins didn't have enough deck penetration to get to the good parts of Renown at any range (for an optically guided gunfight), and they could only get through her belt within about 20 kiloyards, or even closer if Renown was anything other than broadside to them

Last edited:
I know the battle orders of Hitler, but taking apart the destroyers and disregarding the weather, could they had taken Renown?, is my point.
Ok, they close to close range of Renown and sink her. At least one of the ships is going to be in bad condition after that, assuming that they don't golden bb Renown. You now have one of your two capital ships badly damaged and easily within reach of the much larger RN, which knows you're going to return south and can pave those routes with every available submarine, not to mention aircraft and possibly it's own BB's and BC's. If one of the twins is sunk, that's 1/2 of your capital ships for 1/14 of the RN's capital ships. If I were the RN, I'd make that trade anytime.

From my perspective, the Alaskas are barely within the minimum for a decent a battlecruiser, they are effectively the «cruiser killer» epitome, something a bit higher and you have what I regard as a decent capital ship, say: 30 knt, 8x13" and 10 inch belt-4 inch deck

Last edited:
From my perspective, the Alaskas are barely within the minimum for a decent a battlecruiser, they are effectively the «cruiser killer» epitome.
They would have easily outgunned any of the Big Cats (Lion, Tiger, Kongos) between their superior fire control and super-heavy shells that put armor penetration on par with older 14-inch class guns. They were bigger and faster than the Cats and somewhat more heavily armored.

They would have easily outgunned any of the Big Cats (Lion, Tiger, Kongos) between their superior fire control and super-heavy shells that put armor penetration on par with older 14-inch class guns. They were bigger and faster than the Cats and somewhat more heavily armored.
Alas they cost way too much for their capabilities and didn't have a TDS worthy of the name(which was done to cut down costs and construction time.) and whoever thought giving them a single rudder should have been shot.Still I'm sure Beatty would have given his right arm to replace his ships with them

Well I should hope so - they were 4 odd thousand tons heavier and 25 years and the best part of 2 wars in technological advances.

Mind you the armor is not going to stop Lions 13.5s or Kongos 14s if it gets hit either!

That's my point, what's really a «small gun» for a capital ship?
Post-Jutland, 14-inch is the minimum size possibly acceptable, 15-inch is workable if you are compromising firepower for speed, and 16-inch is optimum.
Alas they cost way too much for their capabilities and didn't have a TDS worthy of the name(which was done to cut down costs and construction time.) and whoever thought giving them a single rudder should have been shot.Still I'm sure Beatty would have given his right arm to replace his ships with them
The cats didn't have much of a TDS to their name, either. It only really became a big deal with American and French treaty battleships.
Well I should hope so - they were 4 odd thousand tons heavier and 25 years and the best part of 2 wars in technological advances.
They were also four knots faster and had twice the installed horsepower.
Mind you the armor is not going to stop Lions 13.5s or Kongos 14s if it gets hit either!
The British battle scouts had trouble stopping German 11-inch and 12-inch. Nobody should expect them to stand up under that kind of fire for very long.
Well, that depends, you're talking in terms of total amount, space covered or steel quality?
Belt armor had the same maximum thickness and higher average thickness, and the deck was more heavily armored.
Well, basically the Mackensens. Now, my ideal capital ship would be a 30 knt, up gun Derfflinger, 13 or 14 inch, anything above is a waste.
From my perspective, the Alaskas are barely within the minimum for a decent a battlecruiser, they are effectively the «cruiser killer» epitome, something a bit higher and you have what I regard as a decent capital ship, say: 30 knt, 8x13" and 10 inch belt-4 inch deck
This kind of ship is, at best, a second-line capital ship incapable of standing in the line of battle and, at worst, the kind of cruiser killer you claim you're trying to get away from. These stats match the Dunkerque, a ship designed expressly to counter German cruising raiders, which was 29.5 kts, 9 inch belt, 4.5 inch deck, 8 x 13 inch guns. Obviously, we can see how Dunkerque handled 15-inch shell fire at Mers-el-Kebir.

This kind of ship is, at best, a second-line capital ship incapable of standing in the line of battle and, at worst, the kind of cruiser killer you claim you're trying to get away from. These stats match the Dunkerque, a ship designed expressly to counter German cruising raiders, which was 29.5 kts, 9 inch belt, 4.5 inch deck, 8 x 13 inch guns. Obviously, we can see how Dunkerque handled 15-inch shell fire at Mers-el-Kebir.

That was the minimum acceptable; the decent design would be the mention upgraded Derfflinger, with 8x 13"or 14" and 30-32 knt. I should have mention earlier that the imagine armor scheme is the all-or-nothing for many reasons