Hmm 6 x 9.2's would save a bit of weight and cut down on citadel length, meaning a shorter ship and thus cheaper...and you could put that weight saved into semi-decent protection, especially if the RN looked at the weight saving advantages of AoN schemes.

Hmm 6 x 9.2's would save a bit of weight and cut down on citadel length, meaning a shorter ship and thus cheaper...and you could put that weight saved into semi-decent protection, especially if the RN looked at the weight saving advantages of AoN schemes.

You got it pal! that's the whole point. And with that you could have some more of them.

Does anyone have the same thought?

Last edited:
You got it pal! that's the whole point. And with that you could have some more of them.

I'm not sure it would make that much of a saving for another ship, and its still my belief that if the RN did make these 'Super Cruisers' they'd pretty much have to start laying them down in 1918/19 to have them far along enough for the UK to kick up a stink. The WNT was a naval disarmament treaty, and if the UK starts building large cruisers afterward, everyone else will and the treaty will collapse.

There's a few ways I think you might be able wrangle these ships.

1 - Lay them down asap and by the time the WNT comes along, the RN refuses to budge on scrapping the hulls, and say there's six, the US gets to build 6 large cruisers as well and Japan gets to build 4. (Maximum gun caliber 10-inches)

2 - Say *INSERT DOMINION HERE* has ordered these ships as a replacement for HMS New Zealand/Australia and that their tonnage should not count towards the overall RN tonnage as they're clearly different and independent countries, that we're representing, and speaking for. At which point Japan and the USA look at you beady eyed and you give them a big shit eating grin back.

Really the RN's not going to need many 'super cruisers' as they need large numbers of light cruisers to replace their rapidly aging fleet. The RN could even go "we will keep these but not build any 'treaty cruisers" if they happen and the IJN and USN splurge on 8-inch gunned ships whilst the RN goes for large numbers of light cruisers.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it would make that much of a saving for another ship, and its still my belief that if the RN did make these 'Super Cruisers' they'd pretty much have to start laying them down in 1918/19 to have them far along enough for the UK to kick up a stink. The WNT was a naval disarmament treaty, and if the UK starts building large cruisers afterward, everyone else will and the treaty will collapse.

There's a few ways I think you might be able wrangle these ships.

1 - Lay them down asap and by the time the WNT comes along, the RN refuses to budge on scrapping the hulls, and say there's six, the US gets to build 6 large cruisers as well and Japan gets to build 4. (Maximum gun caliber 10-inches)

2 - Say *INSERT DOMINION HERE* has ordered these ships as a replacement for HMS New Zealand/Australia and that their tonnage should not count towards the overall RN tonnage as they're clearly different and independent countries, that we're representing, and speaking for. At which point Japan and the USA look at you beady eyed and you give them a big shit eating grin back.

Really the RN's not going to need many 'super cruisers' as they need large numbers of light cruisers to replace their rapidly aging fleet. The RN could even go "we will keep these but not build any 'treaty cruisers" if they happen and the IJN and USN splurge on 8-inch gunned ships whilst the RN goes for large numbers of light cruisers.

That's why i can't visualize a limit above the 9.2". And for said Dominions will be a more cost-effective way than a battlecruiser or a otl tin heavy cruiser. On the other hand, for the design i was thinking of a deuchtland class layout, for weight saving purposes.

Deleted member 94680

That's why i can't visualize a limit above the 9.2". And for said Dominions will be a more cost-effective way than a battlecruiser or a otl tin heavy cruiser. On the other hand, for the design i was thinking of a deuchtland class layout, for weight saving purposes.

Im not sure I can see the RN going for the all the eggs in not enough baskets approach of two triples

This is the chart of specifics i told you:

• Battleship: 12-16" gun, 45k ton limit
  • Battlecruiser: 12-14" gun, 35k ton limit
  • Heavy cruiser: 6-9.2" gun, 15k ton limit
  • Light cruiser: 4-6" gun, 7k ton limit
  • Destroyer: 3-5" gun, 5k ton limit.
It's sketchy, but is a start, i had other chart around but can't remember where i left it.

Principal opinion of the Author requested please:biggrin:

So how about the Town class? Purely treaty builds?

Well the RN didn't like triples at first, perhaps the Nelson's put them off them considering all the issues they had. The RN could have adopted triple mounts in WW1 on say their Battlecruisers (imagine a Tiger with 9 x 13.5) and the like as they did know how to build them, but the Admiralty was very resistant against them.

SsgtC

Banned
They tried that OTL. And were told in no uncertain terms to cut the shit and not try anything that stupid again. Nobody fell for it the first time, they aren't going to fall for it this time.

They tried that OTL. And were told in no uncertain terms to cut the shit and not try anything that stupid again. Nobody fell for it the first time, they aren't going to fall for it this time.

Where there's a will, there's a way. We know that OTL the US was actively spying (bugging) the Japanese and British deligates hotel rooms and offices. If that was found out the UK could basically go "Agree to this or we tell japan and this all falls apart."

This is the chart of specifics i told you:

• Battleship: 12-16" gun, 45k ton limit
  • Battlecruiser: 12-14" gun, 35k ton limit
  • Heavy cruiser: 6-9.2" gun, 15k ton limit
  • Light cruiser: 4-6" gun, 7k ton limit
  • Destroyer: 3-5" gun, 5k ton limit.
It's sketchy, but is a start, i had other chart around but can't remember where i left it.

Principal opinion of the Author requested please:biggrin:

Guys, on this remember that am thinking on the battlecruiser more of a light battleship not a super cruiser/cruiser killer.

SsgtC

Banned
Where there's a will, there's a way. We know that OTL the US was actively spying (bugging) the Japanese and British deligates hotel rooms and offices. If that was found out the UK could basically go "Agree to this or we tell japan and this all falls apart."
At which point the US laughs in their face and says go ahead. It's an empty threat and the US knows it. Out of all the powers negotiating the treaty, the US alone could afford to keep building. The UK was bankrupt and Japan wasn't far behind. The UK threatening a building race that they had no hope of winning is even stupider than trying to say the Dominion navies don't do what the RN tells them to. Remember, unlike the other nations, the US building program was already fully funded. So again, if the UK threatens that, the US will look them right in the eye and say, "do it. Watch what happens. Unlike you, we don't need to stop building."

The US programme was funded, but AIUI the political will to continue with it was distinctly wobbly. Which is why they were happy to agree a deal instead of just outbuilding Britain.

SsgtC

Banned
The US programme was funded, but AIUI the political will to continue with it was distinctly wobbly. Which is why they were happy to agree a deal instead of just outbuilding Britain.
They were. But if the UK tried something so distinctly stupid as trying to blackmail the US delegation, that political will is going to solidify in one damn big hurry. And on top of that, the UK didn't know that Congress was wobbly on it. It was being passed off in the US as a way to ensure peace going forward. That if everyone was closely matched in capability, no one would risk war.

I didn't think they were bugging the hotel rooms. IIRC it was more that the US broke the Japanese codes and was reading their Japanese delegation's discussions with their government. It is easier to negotiate when you know your counterparts' instructions from their own government.