Double Vacancy

DOUBLE VACANCY

As the lame duck 40th Congress gathered in joint session on February 6, 1869 the mood was solemn. The great chamber was silent as senators and representatives entered the room. Everyone was hard-faced and somber. They were there to fulfill a constitutional duty. Their task was to count the votes of the Electoral College from the 1868 election for President and Vice President of the United States. Many of them had participated in this quadrennial activity before. Everyone knew the nuts and bolts of what was going to happen, yet each and every man in that room knew that they and the nation were about to sail into uncharted waters.

Seated behind the podium were the Speaker of the House, Theodore Pomeroy (R-New York) and President Pro Tempore of the Senate, Benjamin Wade (R-Ohio). In due course, Mr. Pomeroy rose and banged his gavel. It was odd seeing him standing there. He was standing in the place where Schulyer Colfax had stood for the previous five years; the place where Colfax should be standing on this day. Sadly such was not the case.

Two months earlier, Ulysses Simpson Grant had been elected President of the United States and elected with him as Vice President was Schuyler Colfax, Jr. Their Republican ticket had won 52.7% of the popular vote and was assured of a majority of votes from the Electoral College. The presidential electors did met that December in their respective state capitals, as they had done twenty times before, to cast their ballots for President and Vice President in accordance with the Constitution.

All was going as planned with the transition of power from the old administration to the new. President Andrew Johnson was glad to be finishing his term in the fullness of its prescribed time, and to be leaving Washington for good. Then, like being hit square in the face by an unexpected snowball, tragedy struck. In fact, it struck twice that day, hundreds of miles apart. For decades to follow, the mention of the date December 24, 1868 would prompt memories of “where they were when they heard the news of Grant and Colfax’s deaths.

In the early afternoon of that fateful day, President-elect Grant was boarding a carriage with his wife, Julia, and their two children, at their home in Galena, Illinois when John Jacobs emerged from the back side of the house. He approached the family, and attacked them. Grant was shot in the throat and both boys received stab wounds. Once subdued, Jacobs shouted, "An eye for an eye; my children are avenged.” Two of Jacobs' children had died four years earlier during the siege of Vicksburg and John had been slashed in the shoulder that year by the sword of Grant himself during the battle of Chattanooga. Grant’s children survived the attack, but he died a few hours later. Jacobs was hanged on September 26, 1869 for the crime.

Word of Grant’s death reached Vice President-elect Colfax that night as he was attending a Christmas Eve service in Washington D. C. In the commotion and rush as they left the church, Colfax slipped on the ice and hit his head. Insisting that he was okay, Colfax and his wife (he had married Ella Wade, a daughter of Senator Benjamin Wade a month earlier) returned to their home. The next day, Colfax woke with a splitting headache and blurred vision. By the time the doctor arrived later that morning the pain was unbearable and he was feverish. At 11:50 AM Colfax suffered a massive stroke. He died on December 27 at 7:35 PM.

Six weeks later, Theodore Pomeroy, the newly selected Speaker of the House, read the elector's votes state by state. A few moments later the clerk handed him a piece of paper with the vote totals written on it. Pomeroy cleared his throat and said, "the electoral vote is... 214 votes for the Republican Party ticket of Grant and Colfax; 80 votes for the Democratic Party ticket of Seymour and Blair. Ulysses Grant and Schuyler Colfax have been elected President and Vice President of the United States. Is there anyone who wishes to contest these results?" There was silence in the room for what seemed like an hour. BANG went the speaker's gavel. "Then these results are received and declared legal and final." BANG went his gavel again. Another seemingly long silence again gripped the room. "Regrettably, gentlemen, this time our work is not finished. For today our nation is mourning the death of both the President-elect and Vice President-elect. We are grieving the loss of..."

After several speeches, the Speaker addressed the Congress. "Gentlemen, in accordance with the Presidential Succession Act of 1792, and in light of the situation we face today, I declare that on March 4th of this year both the office of President and that of Vice President of the United States shall be vacant. According to that act, the President pro tempore of the Senate, should become acting President between then and March 4th of next year. The current President pro tempore, Mr. Benjamin Wade of Ohio, is retiring at the end of this congress. The President pro tempore of the Senate in the new Congress will be Mr. Henry Anthony of Rhode Island. He is in line to serve as Acting President from March 4th of this year, when Mr. Johnson’s Presidential term ends, until next March 4, following a Presidential election to be held on November 2, of this year. Do I hear a motion to confirm Mr. Anthony as Acting President of the United States and to call a special Presidential election for November 2, 1869?" A motion is made, seconded, and unanimously approved.

Anthony then rose from his seat. There was silence again in the room as he walked toward the podium. Then, a lone, young congressman began to clap. A few moments later, a few more began clapping. Awkwardly, a few more joined in, and then more. Soon all, many with tears in their eyes, were applauding the new Acting President of the United States, Henry Anthony.

Very interesting. Nice to see someone actually do a Double Vacancy TL. Are you planning to do an in-depth TL of the special election? That could be very interesting, since unlike Grant's election, the new one will not have any obvious candidates, which will mean that Reconstruction and Civil Rights are big issues. I wonder if Sherman is electable...

Also, remember that while the new election is a "special" one, it restarts the four year cycle of Presidential terms.

Sherman is a definite possiblity but he really didn't like politics and I remember Winfield Scott Hancock making a ballot appearance in the 1870s? I'd think that the candidates would party carpet baggers, think Chester A. Arthur but with the corruption. particularly in the '73 election at that point the railroads and the rest of the industrial revolution will really be booming

Very interesting. Nice to see someone actually do a Double Vacancy TL. Are you planning to do an in-depth TL of the special election? That could be very interesting, since unlike Grant's election, the new one will not have any obvious candidates, which will mean that Reconstruction and Civil Rights are big issues. I wonder if Sherman is electable...

Also, remember that while the new election is a "special" one, it restarts the four year cycle of Presidential terms.

Yes, I am planning to cover the Republican convention and the November special election in depth.

Any suggestions on Supreme Court nominees? Grant made 3 his first year (Stanton and then his successor when Stanton died after confirmation and one after a seat was appartently added to the court). I don't want to just recycle Grant's selections.

The weeks between confirmation as Acting President and the start of this term were awkward for Henry Anthony and for the whole government. There were personal details for the new First Family to address and transition plans to rework. Those whom Grant had already asked to serve in his cabinet were asked to serve in Anthony’s. Several did, others stepped aside. The Anthony Cabinet consisted of:
Secretary of State- Hamilton Fish
Secretary of Treasury- George Boutwell
Secretary of War- Philip Sheridan
Attorney General- Ebenezer Hoar
Postmaster General- John A. J. Creswell
Secretary of the Navy- Louis M. Goldsborough
Secretary of the Interior- Jacob D. Cox

At Anthony’s insistence, the customary inauguration set for March 4, 1869 went ahead. “The nation needs normalcy and the people need to know that someone is at the helm of the ship of state,” he said. The move wasn’t popular with everyone. He was, according to many, “just a place holder”. Some of Anthony’s long-time friends in Congress told him that he was showing great disrespect to the memory of General Grant by having an inauguration ceremony. None the less, on a blustery March day, in front of a crowd of over 30,000 people, Anthony took the oath of office, though in it he promised “to faithfully execute of office of Acting President of the United States. He gave a twenty-three minute long inaugural address. In it he paid tribute to Grant and Colfax, calling them “true patriots who had given their sweat, energy and very lives in the cause of democracy and freedom.” He also touched on the topics of reconstruction, civil rights and the industrial transformation which was sweeping the nation.

The Anthony administration’s first economic accomplishment was the signing of the Act to Strengthen the Public Credit which had been passed by Congress in March 1869. The act had the effect of driving down the price of gold on the New York exchange significantly. In early summer, Anthony and his Treasury Secretary, George Boutwell swiftly moved to reorganize the Treasury Department. Unnecessary employees were discharged and significant changes were initiated in the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to protect the currency from counterfeiters. Additionally, the tax collecting apparatus of the Federal Government was streamlined and new accounting standards were put in place. Much of this was accomplished through the issuing of Executive Orders. Mr. Anthony used this presidential power more than many of his predecessors. He did so, in part, because Congress drug its feet awaiting a “real” President whenever possible. These changes soon resulted in a monthly surplus for the U. S. Treasury. The administration is also credited with making wise decisions that fall which helped minimize the impact of an attempt by several New York City bankers to corner the gold market. On September 25, a dismissed Treasury employee, Lemuel Taylor, attacked Secretary Boutwell with a knife as he boarded a train, opening a wide gash on his right arm. Boutwell survived and Taylor went to prison.

Acting President Anthony traveled to Utah in May 1869 and attended ceremonies surrounding the completion of the trans-continental railroad. The driving of the golden stake at Promontory Point came to symbolize the growth, vitality and indomitable nature of the American spirit. Afterwards, he traveled to San Francisco before returning to Washington D. C. Anthony was the first President to travel cross-country on a train

I am surprised that Pres. Anthony did so much as a "placeholder" President. On the other hand, I suppose this accomplishments are harder to guage at the time. Neverthless, would Americans in the 1860s be okay with liberal usage of executive orders?

Which states are back in the Union in 1869? OTL, Virginia, Mississippi, Texas, and Georgia re-joined in the first six months of 1870. Is Acting President Anthony under any pressure to let them back in so that they can vote in the new elections? Ironically, I wonder if this might make Republican control of those states last longer and hence prolong Reconstruction. If anything, avoiding Grant may avoid the corruption which split the Republican party in 1872 and allowed a Democratic resurgence in 1876.

I imagine the nominations will be very interesting!

Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus during the Civil War, so executive orders are certainly possible. Please keep writing I'm fascinated with this.

Presidents regularly used Executive Orders during the 19th Century, though few were recorded. I imagine that few people outside the District ("the beltway" as we say today) were really aware that presidents had this power much less when it was used. Lincoln was one of the few to use EO's for big things like suspending Habeaus Corpus. Jefferson authorized the Louisiana Purchase with one. As Anthony was friends with many in Congress and knew the political ropes of power and authority. He also knew what lines were fuzzy and which ones were firm.

My next installment I'll touch on the readmission of states to the union, which after some research, I don't think would be sped up under this scenario. There are also Supreme Court appointments, the OTL 15th Amendment, plus possibly one addressing presidential & vice presidential vacancies & succession coming up.

GRANT.gif

I'm backing Andrew Curtin for the Republican candidate, and among the Democrats, I like Thomas Hendricks. I will be interested to see who wins the candidacies and elections eventually.

As to judges, why not promote Ebenzer Hoar himself when a vacancy exists? William D Kelly might be considered as well. But remember, those vacancies were created by the 1869 Congress (Judiciary Act of 1869), so there might not be as many in your timeline unless the same bill is created.

During his year in office, Anthony urged Congress to enact legislation that would ensure the safety and rights of the nation’s new black citizens. His efforts drew general praise, though many of his long time friends in Congress and in his home state were surprised. They remembered that as a newspaper publisher and later as governor of Rhode Island, Anthony held strong anti-Catholic views. Strong resistance to Anthony’s proposals came from white citizens in the south who feared losing their dominance in the region. Since its founding three years earlier, the Ku Klux Klan had been terrorizing and intimidating blacks, with the aim of subjugating and suppressing them. Violence against freed slaves, common in the South since the Civil War’s end, intensified in 1869. The situation frustrated Anthony. He contemplated sending federal troops in to disarm the Klan, but several key Congressional leaders and his Attorney General, Ebenezer Hoar, were opposed to it. In the end, Congress did little that year to stop the violence or to safeguard the civil rights of blacks.

Two constitutional amendments were passed by Congress and ratified by the states during the Anthony Administration:
The 15th Amendment, sent to the states in February 1869 and ratified in February 1870, stated that,
“The right of any citizen of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.”
The 16th Amendment, sent to the states in May 1869 and also ratified in February 1870, stated that,
“In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President and shall serve out the remainder of the unexpired term. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority of both Houses of Congress and shall serve out the remainder of the unexpired term. If the offices of President and Vice President are simultaneously vacant, Congress shall, meeting in a joint session, select a new President who shall take office upon receiving a majority vote of both Houses of Congress and shall serve out the remainder of the unexpired term and shall nominate a new Vice President. Congress shall enact appropriate legislation to provide an order for Presidential succession under such circumstances.”

By mid-1869, Mississippi and Virginia had both met the requirements for readmission to the union. After a series of delays, each was authorized to hold a referendum on a new Constitution and to elect state government officials. Both were subsequently readmitted to the union; Virginia on January 26, 1870, and Mississippi on February 23. This left only Texas and Georgia under military rule. Georgia would re-gain its statehood later in the year. Texas’ statehood would not be restored until April 1871.

Nice twist on Presidential Succession.

I'm surprised the choice of a new President requires only a majority, since for Congress to act alone (in over-riding a veto or proposing a constitutional amendment) it must have supermajorities. Perhaps the Republicans are trying to ensure that the Dems can't fetter their choice? I suppose it also reflects the larger influence of Congress in the Reconstruction era.

Also, why does Congress need to provide for an order of succession (the last line of your amendment)? You've established the order and it stops with the VP.

I also see that Texas' re-admission is delayed by 13 months. Something interesting going on or is this the result of the election / transfer of power?

The order of succession sentence pertains to the double vacancy clause. The act of succession would state who assumes the presidency (cabinet officials, congressional leaders, others) and in what order if there is a double vacancy. The reason for a simple majority is because the order of succession would already set by Act of Congress and the vote would only be to confirm that, yes, Senator X, Congressman Y or the Secretary of Z is next in line to be President and eligable to serve. Also, the threshold for confirmation in the Senate is uniformly a majority vote.

Regarding Texas' re-entry to the Union, Congress in OTL permitted it to rejoin even though the it had not met all the requirements for readmission. With the transition of power taking place in 1870 in this TL, Congress does not do that.

The order of succession sentence pertains to the double vacancy clause. The act of succession would state who assumes the presidency (cabinet officials, congressional leaders, others) and in what order if there is a double vacancy. The reason for a simple majority is because the order of succession would already set by Act of Congress and the vote would only be to confirm that, yes, Senator X, Congressman Y or the Secretary of Z is next in line to be President and eligable to serve. Also, the threshold for confirmation in the Senate is uniformly a majority vote.

Hmm, well the text your amendment appears to suggest that in the event of a Double Vacancy, Congress can pick whomever it likes (specifically, "Congress shall select"). To conform with your expectations, I think it should be more like "Congress shall confirm the successor as determined by the order of succession." You'd then need a contingency on what happens if Congress rejects the successor; presumably it falls to the next it line, contingent on further Congressional approval. To be honest, I think it'd be simpler to go for straight up Cabinet succession or allow for Congress to approve a new president (regardless of succession acts). In the event of the former, the problem will be what happens in a double vacancy of the president and vice president elect (which IIRC the OTL 22nd Amendment touches on).

In early October, Congress passed the 1869 Federal Judiciary Act which set the size of the Supreme Court at the current nine justices. With the resignation of Justice Robert Grier a few weeks later due to ill health, Anthony found himself with two Supreme Court vacancies to fill. Congressional leaders suggested several name to the Acting President for his consideration. Among them was former Secretary of War Edwin Stanton. It was made clear to Anthony that Stanton was to receive one of the two appointments. The Acting President nominated Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice William Strong for the 1st seat. The Senate confirmed him by a 10 vote margin and he took his seat on the court on November 20. Anthony did ask Stanton to take the second seat. He was elated to be asked and overjoyed by the prospect of serving on the high court. However, as his family gathered for Thanksgiving Day dinner, Stanton suffered a severe asthma attack, lapsed into a coma and died before the Senate acted on the nomination. In his place, Michigan Supreme Court Justice Thomas Cooley was nominated. He was confirmed by the senate and took his seat on the high court on January 4, 1870. Strong and Cooley are among the few 19th Century Supreme Court justices who did not have national political legislative experience prior to being selected for the court.

Prior to the end of his term, Anthony signed the February 9, 1870 joint congressional resolution which established the Army Weather Bureau, now known as the National Weather Service. The new agency was placed within the War Department. The mission of the bureau was “to provide for taking meteorological observations at the military stations in the interior of the continent and at other points in the states and territories … and for giving notice on the northern (Great) lakes and on the seacoast by magnetic telegraph and marine signals, of the approach and force of storms.”

In July 1869 the Republican Party met in New York City to select a presidential and vice presidential candidate for the upcoming special election. Acting President Anthony had let it be known that he wished to be considered for the nomination. Also wishing the nomination was former senator Benjamin Wade. Wade believed that after twice coming “within a whisker” of being Acting President it was his turn “to capture the prize.” Additionally, Salmon Chase, Reuben Fenton, Rutherford Hayes, William Kelley and Henry Wilson threw their hats into the ring. Anthony and Wade remained in the lead but deadlocked for five ballots. At that point Wilson dropped out. Fenton did the same after the eighth ballot. Following the ninth ballot Anthony met with party leaders to discuss alternate candidates. He told the party leaders that he was willing to step aside for anyone but Wade. After meeting separately with Hayes and Kelley, they gave their blessing to Kelley. Anthony withdrew prior to the ninth ballot and endorsed Kelley. William Kelley of Pennsylvania won the nomination on the tenth ballot. Salmon Chase and Benjamin Wade were angry and dispirited over being bypassed, and publicly lashed out against the party leadership before leaving the convention and quitting the party.

In a bold move to “cement the South back into the Union and to foster national reconciliation”, Kelley chose U. S. District Attorney for Georgia, Amos Akerman as his running mate. This was the first step in what the Republican Party would call its “Southern Electoral Strategy.” Kelley’s unexpected choice of a southerner was not welcomed by all. Though he had demonstrated his loyalty to the Union and the party since the end of the war, Akerman had, in 1864, joined the Confederate Army. Two persons, Rutherford Hayes and Henry Wilson, were nominated from the floor. However, the party leadership and Acting President Anthony stood firmly behind Kelley’s choice. Akerman won by a slim margin on the 2nd ballot.

The Democratic Party met two weeks later in Cleveland, Ohio to select their nominees. Horatio Seymour, the party’s standard bearer one year earlier, led after the 1st ballot over George Pendleton. Salmon Chase’s name was also placed in nomination and he received a few votes. Pendleton though took the lead on the 3rd ballot and won the nomination on the 4th. He chose Thomas McCreery as his running mate. McCreery won on the 1st ballot. Winfield Hancock and Thomas Hendricks also received votes for the Vice Presidential nomination.

Interesting choices...btw, sorry to have nit-picked on your TTL 16th Amendment. It's a rather interesting take on Presidential succession, I think.

If my Wikipedia research is right (IIWC, for future reference :)), Kelley doesn't appear to have had much notoriety. I imagine being from PA he is committed Radical Republican, which makes his VP choice all the more interesting. Like the anachronistic irony of the "Southern Electoral Strategy."

How much did Pendleton support Civil Service reform before Garfield's assassination?

Thanks for your input on the 16th Amendment. I think I'll leave off the last part and just have it say...
“In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President and shall serve out the remainder of the unexpired term. In case of the removal of the Vice President from office or of his death or resignation, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority of both Houses of Congress and shall serve out the remainder of the unexpired term.

Then I can have Congress adopt a Presidential Succession Act of 1870 once the 16th Amendment becomes law which states...
that in the event the offices of President and Vice President were both vacant, then the Secretary of State shall, upon his resignation as Secretary of State, act as President. If there is no Secretary of State, or the Secretary of State fails to qualify, then the Secretary of Treasury shall, upon his resignation as Secretary of Treasury, act as President. An individual acting as President shall continue to act until the expiration of the then current Presidential term, except that (1) if his discharge of the powers and duties of the office is founded in whole or in part on the failure of both the President-elect and the Vice-President-elect to qualify, then he shall act only until a President or Vice President qualifies; and (2) if his discharge of the powers and duties of the office is founded in whole or in part on the inability of the President or Vice President, then he shall act only until the removal of the disability of one of such individuals. If, by reason of death, resignation, removal from office, inability, or failure to qualify, there is no Secretary of Treasury to act as President, then the officer of the United States who is highest on the following list, and who is not under disability to discharge the powers and duties of the office of President shall, upon resigning from the qualifying office, act as President: Secretary of War, Attorney General, Postmaster General, Secretary of the Navy and the Secretary of the Interior.

If the choice of Akerman too far outside the box for 1870?

Thanks for your input on the 16th Amendment. I think I'll leave off the last part and just have it say...
“In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President and shall serve out the remainder of the unexpired term. In case of the removal of the Vice President from office or of his death or resignation, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority of both Houses of Congress and shall serve out the remainder of the unexpired term.

Then I can have Congress adopt a Presidential Succession Act of 1870 once the 16th Amendment becomes law which states...
that in the event the offices of President and Vice President were both vacant, then the Secretary of State shall, upon his resignation as Secretary of State, act as President. If there is no Secretary of State, or the Secretary of State fails to qualify, then the Secretary of Treasury shall, upon his resignation as Secretary of Treasury, act as President. An individual acting as President shall continue to act until the expiration of the then current Presidential term, except that (1) if his discharge of the powers and duties of the office is founded in whole or in part on the failure of both the President-elect and the Vice-President-elect to qualify, then he shall act only until a President or Vice President qualifies; and (2) if his discharge of the powers and duties of the office is founded in whole or in part on the inability of the President or Vice President, then he shall act only until the removal of the disability of one of such individuals. If, by reason of death, resignation, removal from office, inability, or failure to qualify, there is no Secretary of Treasury to act as President, then the officer of the United States who is highest on the following list, and who is not under disability to discharge the powers and duties of the office of President shall, upon resigning from the qualifying office, act as President: Secretary of War, Attorney General, Postmaster General, Secretary of the Navy and the Secretary of the Interior.

If the choice of Akerman too far outside the box for 1870?

1) Sounds like a good compromise on the 16th Amendment. However, what happens in the event of the double vacancy of the elective offices? It seems like the previous Secretary State would serve as Acting President, but that has some constitutional issues: to wit, does the appointment of a Cabinet officer automatically expire at the end of a Presidential term? The answer is probably not, his Cabinet traditionally submits resignations to give him the option of hiring them (by refusing the resignations) rather than firing them. However, the same may not be true when a President is replaced. The solution is probably to include a clause giving Congress the power to make legislation. One potential solution is to move the date of inauguration forward to January, since then there'd be less time during which the President-elect is sitting around waiting to take office. I'd imagine the Republicans eager to make the change, given Buchanan's actions from January-March 1861 probably made the war take much longer. Anyway, I'm probably complicating the issue.

2) Akerman's selection may fly, depending on Kelley's stance on Reconstruction (and Akerman's). There's probably still support for the idea of a unionist ticket. The Republicans did have high hopes of using Reconstruction to turn the South into a Republican stronghold. Presumably, this makes Kelley even more responsive to these concerns. Kelley may also have good reason to undercut a Southern Democrat; elevating Akerman puts that transformation in the spotlight. OTL Horatio Seymour had run on a campaign of overt white supremacism. Pendleton probably is not going to do the same, which may indeed leave an opening for the Democrats in the north. The one big question I would think would be whether Akerman is eligible (has he been pardoned for serving in the Confederate army?). It's probably controversial, but it will be a good choice, since the Democrats can't really push too hard on this (counting on Confederate sympathizers in the South).