DOUBLE BLIND: WI President Sinatra Stuck With Music

(Months and months ago, I posted an Alternate History Headline in the writer's forum about President Sinatra. I' thought it would be interesting to bring the idea here)

Every student of 20th Century America knows the story of President Sinatra.
He was a popular singer in the early 1940's, and was invited to the White House by FDR. FDR, who Sinatra worshiped and even named his son after him(named Franklin Albert Sinatra, Jr. rather than Francis like his father), spoke to him candidly. The president told the young singer to consider a career in politics when he was tired of singing to bobbysoxers. In 1948, as his popularity waned, Sinatra ran for Congress in New Jersey. The rest is history. The story of how he kept the White House in Democratic hands in 1968 is almost legendary. What if he had staged a comeback of his singing career in the late 1940's-early 1950's? Would he have had a successful showbusiness career? Would he eventually have made his way to politics anyway? What would the political climate of the late 60's-early 70's be like if he hadn't been president?

Everyone knows Sinatra was too political to sing. That's about as likely as President George Lucas (he served 1977-1981, right?) making those weird Sci-fi films he was always talking about. You know, the weirdo with the laser swords.

Evil Opus said:
That's about as likely as President George Lucas (he served 1977-1981, right?) making those weird Sci-fi films he was always talking about. You know, the weirdo with the laser swords.
Yeah, or our current president, Kevin Smith, sticking with films...

A question from my part but what kind of criminal life a no-sinatra america would have. All thought Sinatra was always a big supporter of Union and clearly was of left-wing "note". So maybe U.S would be more right-wring maybe in constant fight with Canada.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Sinatra was the reason President Morrison went into politics, and it's almost certain we'd still have the scourge of non-legal drugs corrupting all our politics if he hadn't won in 1982. Lots of people still don't think that was such a big effect but the big drug dealers were beginning to form cartels and might easily have corrupted whole countries if illegal drugs had lasted past 1983.

Would we have had so many "artists" as president without Sinatra's lead?

Sinatra (1969-1973)
Reagan (1973-1977)
Lucas (1977-1981)
Morrison (1981-1985)
F.D. Thompson (1985-1993)
Eastwood (1993-2001)
Smith (2001-present)

Wendell said:

Sinatra (1969-1973)
Reagan (1973-1977)
Lucas (1977-1981)
Morrison (1981-1985)
Eastwood (1993-2001)
Smith (2001-present)
Have you heard about that Democratic senator, Michael Moore? He used to have this thing about making movies. You ask me, he's better off in Congress. He'd get no where by making movies.

Evil Opus said:
Have you heard about that Democratic senator, Michael Moore? He used to have this thing about making movies. You ask me, he's better off in Congress. He'd get no where by making movies.
I have, and he sort of resembles President Smith from time to time. Rumor has it, President Smith wants him to replace Secretary Gephardt at Labor...

So if Artist doesn't dominate the presidency in this ATL? oil baron?Carsaleman?

(Btw not all artist go in politic just look bill clinton)

That's a good point. Imagine if Justice Bush or his sons, the baseball commissioner, or the ambassador, had become President. How might these "oilmen" have impacted policy?

Wendell said:

Sinatra (1969-1973)
Reagan (1973-1977)
Lucas (1977-1981)
Morrison (1981-1985)
Eastwood (1993-2001)
Smith (2001-present)
Well, there are talks around that the young Senator Enrique Martin Morales (R) from Puerto Rico would run for the Presidency in 2008. That should definitely break the cycle of artists becoming presidents. Of course, the current Governor of Arkansas William Jefferson Clinton (D), (known as Billy C in his jazz recording days) is also considering running to replace Smith, which may continue the current 'streak'.

Well first we should consider who could take the place of sinatra and take all the events that happen in OTL that aren't alterable which happen during Sinatra presidency and review them throught all possible candidate. I wonder if the Red war between Soviet Union and the Warsaw pact (and subsequent destruction of communism in Europe) would have gone with another president. I know Sinatra wasn't around at the time, but consider the butterflied line of succesion. Maybe NATO could have gotten involve and the whole thing gone Nuclear.

Redem said:
Well first we should consider who could take the place of sinatra and take all the events that happen in OTL that aren't alterable which happen during Sinatra presidency and review them throught all possible candidate. I wonder if the Red war between Soviet Union and the Warsaw pact (and subsequent destruction of communism in Europe) would have gone with another president. I know Sinatra wasn't around at the time, but consider the butterflied line of succesion. Maybe NATO could have gotten involve and the whole thing gone Nuclear.
It did go nuclear, the Soviets levelled Belgrade, remember?

Ya but Nuclear as in Mutual assured destruction of the world. Thought let's not forget that Belgrade and Warsaw are tragedy (and the blue revolution won and that's good), The red war was happened during the 80's so it might have happen that Sinatra get elected or not. Who was Sinatra running and opposant they are the most likely to have won in this ATL

Wendell said:
That's a good point. Imagine if Justice Bush or his sons, the baseball commissioner, or the ambassador, had become President. How might these "oilmen" have impacted policy?
But GW Bush could never make it in politics-that's like that socialite stripper, Condi Rice, being in the Cabinet or something. Jeb Bush would have a much better chance.

If Sintara had been a musician, he would have been president Morrison's Idol rather than his admiral father (Morrison confesses that he was more into music than into politics in his youth in his best-selling autobiography) -- and that would have made him a squeamish liberal like Sinatra.

The Red War would have been a total loss if it weren't for President Morrision's strategic attacks against the USSR. Heck, the European even gave him a title "The Dragon King", after the now-famous "Operation Peace Frog"

The two front runners right now for 2008 are Hilton hotel CEO Paris Hilton for the Republicans and Senator Tim McGraw for the Democrats. I think that if the occupation of Iran(invaded 2003, right?-just a couple years after 9/11 and the invasion of Afgahnistan) is folded up by mid-2008 like it's supposed to be, Senator McGraw will win. But Miss Hilton will still pose a huge threat to him.

the Hilton-Richie ticket looks very promising. America is finally ready for a female president and a female vice-president.

Have you heard of the newest candidate for the presidency? Former Grateful Dead member and pot-smoking hippie Ann Coulter... like what her chances of winning, especially after streaking through the RNC last year? a billion to one? Even strangely, she has decided to revive the Anarchist Pogo Party of America as her official "party" .

Ya but every U.S operation during the Red War were shadow ops who luckily were exposed post war (I mean just imagin the mess if Peace fog had been exposed during it we would be cinder right now) Weirdly enough Morrison had a strategy of desactivating the silos on both blue and red side of the war.

Evil Opus said:
The two front runners right now for 2008 are Hilton hotel CEO Paris Hilton for the Republicans and Senator Tim McGraw for the Democrats. I think that if the occupation of Iran(invaded 2003, right?-just a couple years after 9/11 and the invasion of Afgahnistan) is folded up by mid-2008 like it's supposed to be, Senator McGraw will win. But Miss Hilton will still pose a huge threat to him.

OOC: Dear God. I'm in favor of assassination after that. But would a 25 year old be allowed to run?