Donations

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Ian the Admin, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Pangur The Cat Donor

Have they provided you with any explanation for the crashes?

2. Ian the Admin Administrator Donor

I run my own dedicated server. It’s probably a hardware fault.

Time for a software upgrade anyway, I just have to find time to do it.

3. wcv215 Well-Known Member

Ian has said that he actually wants to limit the amount of money coming in through donations for reasons related to taxes. Its why they are currently closed rather than an ongoing thing. Asking for donations only occasionally (I assume he will again in the future since currently it was a one-time thing) gives him the ability to end the drive when he reaches the point he wants.

4. Ian the Admin Administrator Donor

The taxes thing is because if I get more donations in a given year than I spend on the board, I have to declare them as income and it gets taxed.

Just to make clear, I’m not making money on the site. Patreon is designed to make money.

5. Viper91 Donor

Given that this forum also hosts fan fiction stories, among other things, would using a service to make money like Patreon risk exposing you or the site to any additional legal issues?

6. Evan Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness!

Quiet Resistance, People's Republic of Cascadia
    There're a whole lot of fanfic writers on Patreon. I've heard there's some theoretical legal risk, but I haven't heard of anyone actually running into trouble over it.

Whether Ian wants to take the risk is of course up to him.

7. Viper91 Donor

I figure a combination of various authors tayloring their patreon accounts so it looks like the money isn't directly for stories themselves, and/or the lawyers have bigger fish to fry with regards to copyright violations.

Looking at some of the other major web forums out there, including those that have similar interests to here, or to sites where large numbers of this forum's members have accounts set up, a lot of them take donations, but Patreon is up to individual members. AO3 and Twisting the Hellmouth either outright ban Patreon, or don't want it brought up much if at all.

8. usertron2020 Tolstoyan Donor

In 1549 CE, Sir Percy the Punner stood at the scaffold, awaiting his hanging for Capital Punning. At that moment, just before his sentence was to be carried out, a message arrived of his being pardoned. His reply to this news was: "No noose is good noose!" The trapdoor was dropped at once, to the cheers of the crowd.:evilsmile:

Devilking1994 likes this.
  9. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

Glad to hear! I dunno about other donors, but I for one would be happy to donate more if you ever need it. :)

nbcman likes this.
  10. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

There's something special about a community where "I'm not interested in Patreon" is responded to with a whole bunch of hypotheticals about using Patreon.

The Tai-Pan, cpip, Md139115 and 5 others like this.
  11. usertron2020 Tolstoyan Donor

What is Patreon?

12. Matt Has a Simpsons gif for that Donor

Patreon is a crowd funding platform most often used by content creators. A lot of cc's will use patreon membership to roll out perks and bonus content. The platform has been around for probably about a decade now, but has really exploded with the ad-pocalypse on YouTube.

13. IntellectuallyHonestRhino Well-Known Member

So no AH moderator will play the role of Tetzel? ;)

14. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Secret Catholic World Domination Conference
    “For every buck you gave, one from Coventry was saved.”

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  15. IntellectuallyHonestRhino Well-Known Member

I'm also curious as to how a moderator would behave like Frederick the Wise of Saxony.

16. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Secret Catholic World Domination Conference
    “We ourselves are not Writers, but we shall let thee flourish in peace with our blessings and support, and protect thee from all of ill designs.”

(Just the first issue that came to mind. I imagine Liberals in general, certain fandoms, and the LGBT community work here as well)

Curiously, I see a certain mod fitting quite easily into the role of Phillip of Hesse, just because translating support for Lutheranism into getting permission for two wives seems like something he’d do.

17. Evan Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness!

Quiet Resistance, People's Republic of Cascadia
    Given how Ian isn't writing any timelines anymore...

18. The Tai-Pan A Better Deal

We are really big on What Ifs, after all.

cpip, King of the Uzbeks and Evan like this.