Donations

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Ian the Admin, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Ian the Admin Administrator Donor

The donation campaign has been an amazing success!

The board's expenses are paid for 2017 and 2018!

$3100 was collected in only one week. Since the board's expenses are $1900 per year, this pays all of 2017's expenses and all but $700 of 2018's expenses. I'm highly confident that the ongoing monthly donations will cover the rest of 2018.

I'm now ending the donation drive. I don't want to save for 2019 onward, because collecting so much money in advance is actually bad for tax reasons.

You can still sign up for monthly donations. A monthly commitment is great because it provides a steady flow of money over multiple years, rather than just a big chunk of money right now.

All other donations have been replaced by $10 and $20 "tip" options. If you'd like to repay me for the money I've previously spent on the site, or if you just really want a green donor badge, you can leave a tip. If you only want to contribute towards the site's future expenses, wait until 2019!

Instructions

You can donate using Paypal or Stripe. Most of you are probably familiar with Paypal. Stripe allows you to use your credit card directly, and takes only a few seconds to pay.

Make donations here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/account/upgrades

Donating will cause a green "donor" badge to appear under your name on every post, unless you pick one of the anonymous options. If your badge does not appear within 12 hours, PM me. If you want to switch it on or off, PM me.

If you pick the wrong donation option, PM me. I can easily cancel donations so you can pick another option.

Please note that this is a non-refundable donation and doesn't grant any special privileges. In particular it doesn't get you exempted from the rules.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. Ian the Admin Administrator Donor

Well it looks like I've got $100 already, with Paypal and Stripe both receiving donations. So nothing has blown up yet.

3. Katarn Voiced by Johnny Bravo Donor

Just donated $20. I'm going to add a link to this thread to my sig.

4. SaveAtlacamani Napoleon the Red Donor

I also just donated 20 bucks. In Euros, so don't wonder if there is a strange sum.

5. Paulo the Limey Donor

Just paid $20 via Stripe. A suggestion- can people donate in their local currencies? If people cant/don't want to pay by PayPal, it would avoid hefty card transactions fees.

6. Ian the Admin Administrator Donor

I pay my bills in US dollars, so currency conversion has to happen somewhere. The only way for me to accept charges in Euros, for example, would be for me to actually have a European bank account. So it's either pay your credit card company's fee, or use Paypal to send from your bank account, which is a 2.5% fee.

Honestly, with the amounts of money I'm collecting there are always going to be fees. I get charged a minimum of $0.50 per donation. It looks like a 20 dollar donation costs me $0.88 for an American and $1.08 for a European.

7. Paulo the Limey Donor

Okay, point made.

8. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

And the ONE THING anyone who pays taxes in the U.S. wants to avoid is an overseas bank account. Only one who like that is your CPA.

9. Ian the Admin Administrator Donor

I've now received over $300! Wow, that was fast.

10. Katarn Voiced by Johnny Bravo Donor

Happy to help :D

11. Accurateworldwar Sherrod Brown for President, maybe Donor

Good luck, Ian.:)

12. HB O P L O U E N T Banned

I cant pay monthly but i can do a one time payment. Can i pay more than $50 USD?

13. Turquoise Blue Blossoming Tibby! Donor

You can donate more than once. So, if you wanted to donate eighty dollars, you could click the fifty, the twenty and the ten. I think it works like that.

14. Nofix Scalawag Donor

Query: If we pay and decide later "I want/no long want the donor tag to appear," can we just message a Mod or the Admin to turn it on/off? Or are there more steps involved? Just a small thing I'm curious about.

15. Ian the Admin Administrator Donor

Just PM me. Same if you want an anonymous donation to be turned to non-anonymous.

And if anyone paid the wrong amount, I should be able to refund it pretty easily. I'd get to see whether that works!

16. Ian the Admin Administrator Donor

EDIT: Problem fixed.

One known bug: if you use Paypal to sign up for a monthly donation, your donor badge won't appear. PM me and I'll fix that.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  17. Falkenburg CMII & Bar Donor

Happy to help.

18. Oppo From Stalin to Mr. Bean Donor

Just donated, it's the only way we can give back to @Ian the Admin, who has personally paid and spent his time for the site.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  19. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Not at all surprising.

A lot of us have wanted to help defray costs for years.

20. Cool-Eh At The 80th Meridian, Where Lake Nipissing Begins! Donor

300 bucks in 2 hours, you'll be rich!
    Of course that's the first 2 hours but still.
    Are we going to see site upgrades if you recive enough donations?