Dominion of Southern America - Updated November 29, 2017

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Glen, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Did I already place these here for reference?

2. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

My first round picks?

For Condeferation of the Equator, something inspired in both the red-white-black of the abolitionists and the cross used in the OTL flag of the Confederation.
    [​IMG]
    The seven stars are for the seven provinces that form it (Sergipe, Pernambuco, Rio Grande do Norte, Paraiba, Alagoas, Ceará and Piaui), as it is a Confederation.

Flags of the Brazilian Successor States.png

3. Falastur Fighting Swiss-wank since 1291

I'd honestly be surprised if the Republic of Brazil stuck with that flag. The colours and lines are fine, but the globe thing (sorry, it's late and I couldn't be bothered to look up the actual word) in the centre was closely associated with the Portuguese monarchy. It would be like the USA deciding to put a crown on their flag after winning independence.

4. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

I hear you, but I think it would be more like them having St. George's Cross in the flag. Henry the Navigator was a shared treasure, not just a symbol of monarchy IMO.

5. Falastur Fighting Swiss-wank since 1291

Fair enough, then. I don't know if you're going to chalk it up as butterfly chow and a result of the diverging timelines, or simply say you prefer your version, but I did a little more research for the fun of it and the flag that you've picked for the colony of Maranhao is actually OTL's naval jack, not OTL's actual flag. The actual flag was very similar, but had the crest, as well as the blue-white divide, straight down the centre where the naval jack had it on the 1/3 across (left-right) line.

That is to say, it was this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_Portugal_(1830).svg

6. Sovereign12 Well-Known Member

I sort of felt the same way. So, below is a bit of a fix up with the globe more of an ideogram/pictogram form.

Zil.png

7. Falastur Fighting Swiss-wank since 1291

mmm, nice.

Incidentally, during my research mentioned above I came across a line saying that the ancillary was removed from the Portuguese flag OTL because it was thought to be "too closely linked to Brazil" - though this was just in the era when Brazil was separated from Portugal again and not quite ready for establishing its independence - so maybe it is a feasible development after all.

8. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

You mean this flag?

[​IMG]

I thought it was specific for colonial Portugal, but if not, then we can adjust.

9. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Yes, it is, but somehow it just doesn't feel right for this Republic of Brazil.

Ah Ha! I will take your thin line and grasp it as my rationale for accepting that flag!!

10. Falastur Fighting Swiss-wank since 1291

Yeah, that one.

11. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Flag of Portugal:

Flag of Portugal.png

12. Lord Grattan consigned to OTL

Excellent flags Glen; very creative.

13. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Thanks, though on many the credit lies with our wonderful collaborators!

14. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

While there had been several suggestions for the Flag of the nascent nation of Germany, in the end the winner was a flag that paid homage to the three major states in the new German nation, Bavaria, Saxony, and Hanover. The tricolor combined colors associated with all three states (and reminiscent of those associated with the Rhineland as well). At the last, the White Stallion of Hanover was emblazoned upon it as well, perhaps in answer to the glaring eagles of the East.

Flag of Germany:

Flag of Germany.png

15. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

Good work on the flags!

16. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Thank you for the compliment.

17. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

These are quite good - I went a similar route as you can see in my other post today.

18. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Flag of the Kingdom of Italy:
    [​IMG]

19. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Yes, ironically, the flag of the Kingdom of Italy develops exactly the same was as the OTL flag did - despite all the changes going on around it, this one remains the same. Now, if someone wants to recreate this flag with basically all these elements just 'different' (like a different crown, for example) that would be fine.

20. My Username is Inigo Montoya Virile Member

I like your German flag.