Dominion of Southern America - Updated November 29, 2017

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Glen, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. My Username is Inigo Montoya Virile Member

Dear Glen
    I was really disappointed the DSA didn't win the superlative contest. Continue doing such a good job anyway.:)

2. DuQuense Commisioned Officer CSN

Due to the super high price of Lamb, I buy it once a year for Easter Dinner.
    ?But with a bigger British influence, will the DSA have a larger Sheep/Mutton Industry?

Panama belongs to Columbia.
    OTL they hired the French Engineer/Company that built the Suez Canal. The company went bankrupt trying, and the Nicaraguan Canal became the top site.
    I see the Nicaraguan Canal being first chose ITTL due to British Control of the Caribbean.

3. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Thanks for your support - it's really hard to be too disappointed against such stiff competition and having such a good showing.

I will endeavor to persevere. :cool:

4. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Larger Sheep/Mutton industry? Yes. Huge? No.

Um, not ITTL, it is part of Mexico.

That's a very likely proposition, volcanic eruptions permitting.:)

5. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Gathered below some materials from previous discussion on Brazilian successor state flags. We're missing some I think.

6. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

here's one

7. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

I'd like to get the flags of the Brazilian successor states nailed down, but I still feel like we're missing some of the suggestions. Any of you see any missing (follow the links in the quotes to see some of the flags).

8. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

These are the flags I found in the Flags thread for the DSA Brazilian Successor States - I think they are pretty much all of them, then.

9. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Though the gold rush in British California was small compared to that in the USA, it did attract some people to the region, and more were attracted with the nearing completion of a transcontinental railway route. Further, once the United States of America had the State of California enter the Union, British Californians were determined to achieve provincial status and be governed independently of Texas. Eventually, their petition was granted, but the question of what the name of the new province would be arose. Some thought some variant of California would be obvious, but they all were felt to define the region too much as not being US California. Instead, the founding fathers of the new province turned to English legends from the Age of Discovery and the name Sir Francis Drake gave to his landing on the west coast of North America for inspiration. Thus was the territory of British California replaced by the Dominion Province of Albion.

Albion.png

10. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

[​IMG]

11. Plumber جعل أميركا أكبر مرة أخرى

I'd recommend Nova Albion, since Albion is still used poetically today to mean Britain and Drake named California Nova Albion. Ironically, Drake explored mainly Northern California. :D

12. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

I thought about New Albion, but then I decided that the occasional confusion would be more amusing than anything else - and yes, the irony was completely intended.

13. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Reminder to myself that I need to give a flag for Germany.

14. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

This timeline now has the fourth largest number of replies of all the timelines in the before 1900 forum.

15. Earl_of_Somerset Banned

Yes were closing in on 2000.....

Maybe a Double or Triple set of Updates to mark the occassion :rolleyes:

16. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

Albion has a nice ring to it.

17. Iserlohn The Undefeated.

Seeing how it was unified by Hanover, red (Horse of Hanover) and yellow (Kingdom of Hanover) should be dominant. Maybe I could post a proposal tomorrow, seeing how it is kinda late for me (almost 11pm).

And btw, excellent TL and congratulations to the third place in the superlative poll, which is definitely deserved.

EDIT: Or coming to think of it, here is a rather simple proposal. I ditched red and replaced it with green, the Horse of Hanover can be inserted in the middle of the flag.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  18. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Nice try, friend.:rolleyes:

19. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Thank you - I think so, too!:cool:

20. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Those are certainly possibilities. Get some rest!

Thank you, thank you very much!

That is one possibility certainly.