Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

NZ is bigger than the UK in terms of land area and is also roughly 2000km from Australia. I don't think it too likely, or indeed necessarily a good idea that the two be run closely together. Maybe some sort of loose confederation might work though
Wasn't there a proposal during the 1900's confederation talks to have NZ being part of Confederation.

Glen

Very interesting update - I wasn't expecting a new Kalmar Union, but I'll be curious to see how it changes European politics.

not as much as the other changes in europe

Hopefully the union of Denmark and Sweden will further put the ideas of filibustering Greenland and Iceland to bed once and for all...

not necessarily correlated

I completely forgot about French Western Australia. I clearly do need to re-read this thread from start to finish.

it was a while ago.

I always favoured keeping Australia and New Zealand apart, but that's the part of me that likes small(er), unique nations in contrast to large conglomerate multi-national states - hence my original Western Australia comment. Holy Roman Empire over Germany any day of the week ;)

time will tell...

Glen

Yeah sorry. I have a fondness of united Scandinavia's. Add one here and I will be officially sold on this being a better world!

Duly noted - though I should clarify this is not going to be a utopia, though it won't be a dystopia, either. Say rather on balance, mildly better than OTL.

Glen

They're all right, but not Oceania. With the British focused on more on the America's a larger British Empire elsewhere is ridiculous (good call on South Africa there).

Somewhat agree with Plumber, though Ireland, Ireland...

Glen

Double posting, Glen? Tut tut ;)

Accidents happen - especially at the accelerated rate you guys are getting this weekend!

Also, yes! Finally a non-united Italy. My love of smaller countries is most pleased by this news!

Well, not as pleased as if the Kingdom of Italy had never come to be, but this is a start, and with nationalism floating around, is about as good as I could expect to get.

Yes. I think the biggest things will be that things will be different, not necessarily more or less countries overall.

Glen

The languages do not sit right - for one there are many distinct Aboriginal languages, for another, Maori is still widely spoken IOTL and is a unified language with only minor dialect differences. I would think it would still be spoken ITTL, unless there are big divergences

True, true indeed.

Glen

I think Melbourne is the more likely capital in this era anyway. It's bigger, was taking over in terms of industry I believe, and there was genuine unrest in Sydney at the preception that Melbourne was becoming the "greater" city of the two.

when, though, and will those factors occur in the same enough way to push Melbourne (which will probably not be called Melbourne) into the fore.

Glen

Thats good though. Means it will be believable. Everything else here so far has been!

Thanks - at this point, we are getting further and further away from speculation on a single POD and more and more into worldbuilding - I may have a vision of what is to come, but I try to have it be internally consistant, and if something else arises as more likely from the developing streams, we go with that.

I must say, it's also providing a nice tour of 19th century world history - which in some ways reads much less plausible than AH!

Glen

Ah, that could go either way.

I doubt it would become just another dominion - but then again, maybe it would as the stature of being a dominion rises. Some better luck and governance (or more effective tyranny:eek:) could lead to it remaining part of the United Kingdom, or it could at some point go independent as most of it did IOTL. Time will tell...