Dominion of Southern America - Updated November 29, 2017

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Glen, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Falastur Fighting Swiss-wank since 1291

Very interesting update - I wasn't expecting a new Kalmar Union, but I'll be curious to see how it changes European politics.

Hopefully the union of Denmark and Sweden will further put the ideas of filibustering Greenland and Iceland to bed once and for all...

I completely forgot about French Western Australia. I clearly do need to re-read this thread from start to finish.

I always favoured keeping Australia and New Zealand apart, but that's the part of me that likes small(er), unique nations in contrast to large conglomerate multi-national states - hence my original Western Australia comment. Holy Roman Empire over Germany any day of the week ;)

2. DuQuense Commisioned Officer CSN

British Paupa New Guinea Wasn't formed till after WW1 when the British merged British Paupa, with German New Guinea.

3. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

FYI, there was a minor glitch in the post below. The father of Swedish Crown Prince Christian is Karl August the II, not the original Charles August. It has been corrected.

4. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Good thoughts, good thoughts.

5. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Something like that....

6. Earl_of_Somerset Banned

Dominion Idea 1

Dominion of the Cape

Capital:Cape Town

Languages: English, Dutch, Affrikans

Religion:protestant, Catholic Minority

DSAD1.png

7. Earl_of_Somerset Banned

Dominion Idea 2

Dominon of Oceania

Capital:Sydney

Language:English, Aboriginal

Religions:protestant, Animist

DSAD2.png

8. Earl_of_Somerset Banned

Dominion idea 3

Dominion of Guyana

Capital:Kingston

Languages:English, French, Dutch, Creole

Religions:Catholic, Protestant, Animist

DSAD3.png

9. Earl_of_Somerset Banned

Dominion Idea 4

Dominion of Ireland

Capital: dublin

Language:English

Religions: Catholic, Minority Protestant

DSAD4.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  10. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

Yeah sorry. I have a fondness of united Scandinavia's. Add one here and I will be officially sold on this being a better world!

11. Earl_of_Somerset Banned

no comments on my dominion ideas :(

12. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

I'm slowly working through things - patience, grasshopper!;)

13. Plumber جعل أميركا أكبر مرة أخرى

They're all right, but not Oceania. With the British focused on more on the America's a larger British Empire elsewhere is ridiculous (good call on South Africa there).

14. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

[​IMG]
    Ferdinand II​

The Napoleonic Wars had split the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies into the Kingdom of Naples and Kingdom of Sicily. Sicily's king at the start of the Liberal War, Ferdinand II, had shown progressive leanings as a younger man, but had grown more conservative and paranoid as time progressed. In 1850, revolution broke out in the island, and when he refused to accept a liberal constitution, Ferdinand II was forced to abdicate in favor of his son who became King Francis II of Sicily.

15. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

With the (albeit tense) resolution of the situation in Rome, the forces of Naples, the new Roman Republic, the Italian states of the North led by Piedmont-Sardinia and Tuscany, and the French could focus on the Austrians and Russians in Lombardy and Venice. The concentration of forces was too much even for a general as able as Radetzky, and the third time proved the charm for Charles Albert as Entente forces expelled the Easterners from Northern Italy.

A constitutional convention in Florence called for the creation of a new Kingdom of Italy, comprised of all the Italian states and liberated Austrian lands north of the Roman Republic (which declined to join, a decision supported by the Kingdom of Naples). An active debate ensued as to who would be named king, but by precedence the only real choice was Charles Albert of the House of Savoy.

Thus the map of the Italian Peninsula would be transformed, with a new Kingdom of Italy in the North, a Roman Republic in the center (the former Papal States), and the Kingdom of Naples and the Kingdom of Sicily remaining in the South.

Italian Peninsula.gif

16. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

[​IMG]

17. Falastur Fighting Swiss-wank since 1291

Double posting, Glen? Tut tut ;)

Also, yes! Finally a non-united Italy. My love of smaller countries is most pleased by this news!

Well, not as pleased as if the Kingdom of Italy had never come to be, but this is a start, and with nationalism floating around, is about as good as I could expect to get.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  18. Julius Vogel A rascal's rascal

The languages do not sit right - for one there are many distinct Aboriginal languages, for another, Maori is still widely spoken IOTL and is a unified language with only minor dialect differences. I would think it would still be spoken ITTL, unless there are big divergences

19. Falastur Fighting Swiss-wank since 1291

I think Melbourne is the more likely capital in this era anyway. It's bigger, was taking over in terms of industry I believe, and there was genuine unrest in Sydney at the preception that Melbourne was becoming the "greater" city of the two.

20. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

That is certainly one possibility. If only there were some external threat to unite them...