Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

The use of indentured servants from India began in the 1830s, with the first workers going to labor starved British Australia. Even before the end of the Slaver Uprising, the practice spread to British Guyana and nearby islands. The practice would explode in the 1840s and 1850s, being seen as a viable alternative to now defunct slave labor.

Plantations in the Dominion had undergone a transformation in the aftermath of the Southern Civil War. Loyalist planters by and large converted their slave plantations to neo-manorial systems similar to those of the Virginians (who themselves had borrowed the practice from the seguerial system of Quebec). Many of the freedmen stayed on working the plantations much as they had before in return for a share of the crop, which often they sold back to their landlords who would act as a broker to sell the crops on the market. While this still left many freedmen dependent on their landlords, those who abused the relationship often found themselves without tenants, who could find places on other plantations for their labor. Indeed, several Loyalists who had not been planters prior to the war had taken advantage of bankrupt Slavocrats who had sided with the rebellion to buy their plantations become planters themselves, though these holdings were much less likely to still have the majority of their former slaves still in situ, as they often had abandoned the holdings of those who would have kept them property for greener pastures out west or on established Loyalist plantations. Other slaver plantations were bought out by British investors, who served as absentee landlords.

It was these newer planters who often turned to Indian indentured workers to man their new found property. Ironically, it would as often as not be freed blacks who only years before were the workers on these fields to whom the new planters would turn to as overseers of these new Indian workers.

Of course, the start of construction on the Dominion's transcontinental railroad would demand much more manual labor, which while in the East many blacks would work on, in the West far more of the labor would come from India.

CO137_497_29.jpg

Glen

Race, Religion, and Class in the early Dominion were complex in their effects on society and politics.

As with the Mother Country, Class was the dominating factor in Southern society, albeit moving between classes was easier than in the UK, if not as fluid as in the USA.

Loyalist Planter families and British officials were at the top of the class pyramid. Most of these were of the Anglo-Saxon, Welsh, or Scottish race and the Anglican religion, though in Louisiana and the Caribbean Provinces the Latin (French and Spanish descent) and Catholic members of the upper echelon existed, and of course in Indiana the Civilized Indian (though often admixtured with one of the white races) were prominent, though even in these other groups the key to greater position was to speak educated English and some would convert to Anglican for ease of advancement at the Federal level. Though rare, some Blacks had reached this level of prominence even in the early days of the Dominion, though it was more often those of mixed blood who would reach this rarified height of the social strata.

Tradesmen and small farmers comprised the middle class, and had a more diverse racial and religious background, with Scottish, Scots-Irish, Irish, Welsh, Anglo-Saxon, Germanic, French, Spanish, and Civilized Indian and Free Black, though it was more common to see these last two races mixed with white races in this class. While Anglican in the north and Catholic in the south were the most common religions, there were also Baptists, Methodists, and others seen in this group, even the occasional Deist, especially in Texas and the western territories.

The lower class was comprised of laborers and tenent farmers. The majority of this class were Black, but there were significant numbers of Civilized Indians and various members of the white races, and many mixed race members of this class as well. Their religions ran the spectrum of Christian denominations and even some nativist beliefs! Also in this class would be those Eastern Indians who ended their indenture, and practiced the Hindu religion. However, in the decades to come, Eastern Indians would begin to work their way up the social strata.

Outside of the class system in a way were the indentured servants of India, who tended to be looked down upon by all the members of Dominion society, and the Wild Indians of the Western frontier, who were locked upon in various ways, but in general were looked down upon, especially by the Civilized Indian who saw them as an unreformed reminder of the past.

If one imagines the wealthy, landed, educated, Anglo-Saxon Anglican man as the epitome of Dominion society, it is easy to see how the variations in social standing related to how many degrees of separation one was from this theoretical ideal of Southern society.

w_simms.jpg

Glen

Many trace the origins of the Royal Southern American Rangers to the Ranger troop first developed by the Austins to protect settlers coming to Texas. A group noted for toughness but uprightness in a land that could kill a man in a minute, the Rangers lost many a man to the army when Jackson led the Texans to battle in the Southern Civil War. However, there were those who remained to protect the western frontier, and they would make up the nucleus of a new force, commissioned by the Crown, to bring law to the wild frontiers in Texas and the territories governed from Texas, namely New Mexico and British California, and would even be called upon to help in remote western Arkansas. The RSAR became an emblem of the Dominion's west.

A contingent of Royal Southern American Rangers, out of formal dress, on patrol in New Mexico Territory.
1TXtroops.jpg

Glen

Yes, they are the unholy amalgamation of Texas Ranger and Canadian Mountie!:D

Many trace the origins of the Royal Southern American Rangers to the Ranger troop first developed by the Austins to protect settlers coming to Texas. A group noted for toughness but uprightness in a land that could kill a man in a minute, the Rangers lost many a man to the army when Jackson led the Texans to battle in the Southern Civil War. However, there were those who remained to protect the western frontier, and they would make up the nucleus of a new force, commissioned by the Crown, to bring law to the wild frontiers in Texas and the territories governed from Texas, namely New Mexico and British California, and would even be called upon to help in remote western Arkansas. The RSAR became an emblem of the Dominion's west.

A contingent of Royal Southern American Rangers, out of formal dress, on patrol in New Mexico Territory.
1TXtroops.jpg

Eurofed

Banned
So the DSA leads to a racially tripartite Southern Society, Whites, Blacks, and (true) Indians, just as in South Africa ? Most interesting. There are native Americans, too, of course, but I guess that in the long run, their numbers are not going to be as substantial as the other three races, in comparison. There is going to be quite the job competition between Blacks and Indians in the long run.

In comparison, the USA are getting more European immigration, has some Natives of its own, and it's going to have rather less Blacks than OTL. Shall they be more open to East Asian immigration than OTL, once the pool of European immigration starts to run dry ? I'm eager to see the piece on US society, too.

Glen

So in TTL, Chuck Norris stars as 'Walker, Royal Southern American Ranger'?

It's a bit of a mouthful, but I like it.

Yes, the analogue of Chuck Norris will... but just like most people shorten Royal Canadian Mounted Police to 'Mounties', the RSAR will be known by several nicknames - most of common of which is just to call them 'Rangers'. The parallel version of 'Walker, Texas Ranger' would probably be 'Walker, Southern Ranger'. In addition to these, people also pronounce aloud the acronym, RSAR, as 'Ar-Sar'. And yes, criminals will often change the stress and call them 'Arse-Ar'.:eek:

Glen

So the DSA leads to a racially tripartite Southern Society, Whites, Blacks, and (true) Indians, just as in South Africa? Most interesting. There are native Americans, too, of course, but I guess that in the long run, their numbers are not going to be as substantial as the other three races, in comparison.

I think you're underestimating the amount of Native Americans in the mix, and forgetting perhaps the most important demographic in the decades to come - mixed. In fact, the Civilized Tribes in Indiana are already surprisingly mixed, with both blacks and whites, and this trend will continue (and I would point out that there are 'whites' in the other provinces with black and native american in their lineage, they just don't play it up very much.

I would think more of the Caribbean of OTL than South Africa as a comparison.

There is going to be quite the job competition between Blacks and Indians in the long run.

Well, that might be - right now, there's a lot more work than bodies.

In comparison, the USA are getting more European immigration, has some Natives of its own, and it's going to have rather less Blacks than OTL.

Yes.

Shall they be more open to East Asian immigration than OTL, once the pool of European immigration starts to run dry ? I'm eager to see the piece on US society, too.

Time will tell...

Yes, the analogue of Chuck Norris will... but just like most people shorten Royal Canadian Mounted Police to 'Mounties', the RSAR will be known by several nicknames - most of common of which is just to call them 'Rangers'. The parallel version of 'Walker, Texas Ranger' would probably be 'Walker, Southern Ranger'. In addition to these, people also pronounce aloud the acronym, RSAR, as 'Ar-Sar'. And yes, criminals will often change the stress and call them 'Arse-Ar'.:eek:

Hahaha, shame, 'Walker, Mountie' sounds a humorous title given the slightly...less than Chuck-Norris-manly stereotype of Mounties OTL ;)

And also noticeable, of course, is that "Ar-Sar" and "Arse-Ar" with a British accent both sound exactly the same. Well, it's possible to make them sound different but it wouldn't be how you would talk naturally. Of course, I'd say criminals are more likely to just cut off the "Ar" sound at the end anyway...

The most interesting updates yet, I think. So, there are Civilized Indians, Wild Indians, and Eastern Indians? Confusing nomenclature.

Glen

Hahaha, shame, 'Walker, Mountie' sounds a humorous title given the slightly...less than Chuck-Norris-manly stereotype of Mounties OTL ;)

And also noticeable, of course, is that "Ar-Sar" and "Arse-Ar" with a British accent both sound exactly the same. Well, it's possible to make them sound different but it wouldn't be how you would talk naturally. Of course, I'd say criminals are more likely to just cut off the "Ar" sound at the end anyway...

Good points - but remember that they are saying the letter 'R' on the first part, not trying to pronounce and end r.

Eurofed

Banned
I think you're underestimating the amount of Native Americans in the mix, and forgetting perhaps the most important demographic in the decades to come - mixed. In fact, the Civilized Tribes in Indiana are already surprisingly mixed, with both blacks and whites, and this trend will continue (and I would point out that there are 'whites' in the other provinces with black and native american in their lineage, they just don't play it up very much.

I would think more of the Caribbean of OTL than South Africa as a comparison.

Well, you are right that I likely underestimated the numbers of the Civilized Tribes, and the comparison with OTL Caribbeans (or Brazil) is quite apt as it concerns the extensive presence of the mixed-bloods and the White-Black-Native interplay. The comparison with South Africa was made since it has a similar White-Black-(Eastern) Indian mixture. But indeed in all likelihood the DSA is going to become much more similar to Brazil than to OTL Dixie.

Well, that might be - right now, there's a lot more work than bodies.

And it's going to remain so for a very, very long time, indeed.

Well, so far European immigration remains abundant, and it's going to remain so for about a century. But I guess that this USA is going to become as industrialized as OTL, if not more (due to a more settled and developed Canada), and the DSA shall be somewhat (but not substantially) more so than OTL, so there shall continue to be rather less opportunity than OTL for Black immigration to the USA. So once European immigration starts to run dry, the USA shall keep needing more bodies from other sources. Either they follow DSA's example and get South Asians in, but that is less probable since they shall go to the DSA first and foremost, or more likely they shall have to be more supportive of Hispanic immigration, East Asian immigration, or most likely both.

The DSA shall in all likelihood continue to get some substantial Indian immigration, since those patterns become self-sustaining to a degree, but in due time it's also going to to get some Hispanic immigration.

In comparison to OTL, Hispanic immigration to both USA and DSA is going to become more accepted since there are strong Catholic and Native American communities the immigrants may merge in.

So in my current expectations, in the very long term both states are going to become interesting ethnic melanges, the DSA White, Black, Native-Hispanic, and South Asian, while the USA White, Native-Hispanic, and East Asian.

Glen

The most interesting updates yet, I think. So, there are Civilized Indians, Wild Indians, and Eastern Indians? Confusing nomenclature.

Yep. I suspect in future the Civilized Tribes will just be referred to as Indianans, the Wild Indians as Indians, and the Eastern Indians as Hindus. However, early times yet, and I'm open to other terms.

Glen

Well, you are right that I likely underestimated the numbers of the Civilized Tribes, and the comparison with OTL Caribbeans (or Brazil) is quite apt as it concerns the extensive presence of the mixed-bloods and the White-Black-Native interplay. The comparison with South Africa was made since it has a similar White-Black-(Eastern) Indian mixture. But indeed in all likelihood the DSA is going to become much more similar to Brazil than to OTL Dixie.

Again, I'd encourage most the comparison to OTL Caribbean as the most apt, though even there it won't capture everything.

Well, so far European immigration remains abundant, and it's going to remain so for about a century.

Yes - and no matter what happens in Europe (and some things are going to start happening in Europe), the USA is going to remain attractive for immigration for two things - space and social mobility. It really does remain the land of opportunity.

But I guess that this USA is going to become as industrialized as OTL, if not more (due to a more settled and developed Canada),

Certainly as industrialized.

and the DSA shall be somewhat (but not substantially) more so than OTL,

Remains to be seen...

so there shall continue to be rather less opportunity than OTL for Black immigration to the USA.

Yep - there won't be a black exodus to the North ITTL - it's a bit hard to do over an international border. On the otherhand, there will be some as the USA isn't going to seal the border.

So once European immigration starts to run dry, the USA shall keep needing more bodies from other sources. Either they follow DSA's example and get South Asians in, but that is less probable since they shall go to the DSA first and foremost, or more likely they shall have to be more supportive of Hispanic immigration, East Asian immigration, or most likely both.

All very good points - time shall tell...

The DSA shall in all likelihood continue to get some substantial Indian immigration, since those patterns become self-sustaining to a degree, but in due time it's also going to to get some Hispanic immigration.

Probably, though how much will depend largely on events in Mexico.

In comparison to OTL, Hispanic immigration to both USA and DSA is going to become more accepted since there are strong Catholic and Native American communities the immigrants may merge in.

Except for the language barrier. While many Americans speak French and English, not many speak Spanish ITTL. There's plenty in the DSA who speak Spanish, though...

So in my current expectations, in the very long term both states are going to become interesting ethnic melanges, the DSA White, Black, Native-Hispanic, and South Asian, while the USA White, Native-Hispanic, and East Asian.

I think you're right on the DSA angle - the USA, maybe...

That last post made me realize something -- Will the OTL American culture even have westerns and cowboy culture? A tragic loss if not, but maybe they will just take place in Colorado or Montana instead of the old southwest...

Another thing though -- perhaps instead of the wild west, the great white north fills the void? Somehow, the idea of John Wayne starring in films as a heroic frontiersman in Albeta seems oddly appealing.

Also, I do like how the DSA is looking to be quite the mixed race society.

Eurofed

Banned
That last post made me realize something -- Will the OTL American culture even have westerns and cowboy culture? A tragic loss if not, but maybe they will just take place in Colorado or Montana instead of the old southwest...

Another thing though -- perhaps instead of the wild west, the great white north fills the void? Somehow, the idea of John Wayne starring in films as a heroic frontiersman in Albeta seems oddly appealing.

Yup. I see no good reason why this USA ought not to develop a Frontier culture and mythology as vibrant as OTL, although its focus is going to be different, the Rockies, northern Plains, and great white North instead of the Southwest (which is where the DSA shall develop its own Frontier myth). I do expect that ITTL the USA and thev DSA shall get to share Western culture to a substantial degree.

Glen

Also, I do like how the DSA is looking to be quite the mixed race society.

Yup. I see no good reason why this USA ought not to develop a Frontier culture and mythology as vibrant as OTL, although its focus is going to be different, the Rockies, northern Plains, and great white North instead of the Southwest (which is where the DSA shall develop its own Frontier myth). I do expect that ITTL the USA and thev DSA shall get to share Western culture to a substantial degree.

Never fear - there shall be a Western Mythos, but with American and Southern flavors available.

Never fear - there shall be a Western Mythos, but with American and Southern flavors available.

I wonder just how different the two flavours will be. I mean yes, obviously there will be differences and some will be major, but both states are going to have the same essential elements: the same terrain in places, the same native Americans on the land who may cause trouble (admittedly the level of tension and warfare with these is likely to be one of the defining features). But I don't wonder if, in the early days at least, the idea of Sheriffs, posses, bandit gangs and shootouts won't be fairly similar both sides of the border - not to mention that there's not that much about being an actual cowboy that can change with which side of the border you live on, so when cowboys become idolised and mythified when the frontier becomes "safe" (whenever that is for both states) presumably both countries will have the same phenomenon of important or affluent persons travelling to spend a year as a cowboy and experience the life. If we think about the spaghetti western films, it could be that a Magnificent Seven type film wouldn't really be produced any differently by Southern or Northern Americans.

Of course, I am open to correction, and I'd be very interested to hear just what factors there are which will be different.