Dominion of Southern America - Updated November 29, 2017

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Glen, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DuQuense Commisioned Officer CSN

Originally Chinese, [you have the same OTL British involvement in China] with some Japanese after opening.
    The British will allow more Asiatics, due to weaker Anti Asiatic restrictions. As the Brits are Southern California AND Baja, this is where the Japanese Fishermen will settle.

2. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

It might be possible that there is something parallel to it that could happen. I suppose the real question would be would it hold any more sway than the OTL declaration did?

There's definitely a delay in the development of Australasia compared to OTL. And there is the possibility of the French taking advantage I suppose....time will tell.

3. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

The State of Panama is the southernmost state of Mexico. It is the only state in Mexico that started out as part of the Viceroyalty of New Granada. As the the wars for independence heated up in Spanish America, the Panamanians were in an unusual position between the emerging Mexican Republic, based on federal principles, and the Nariño led centralists of New Granada. Panamanian federalists won the day in Panama, and elected to join the nascent Mexican federation rather than be subject to a centralist regime. While New Granada might have wished otherwise, Panama was far on its periphery, separated on land by the neigh impenetrable Darien Jungle.

[​IMG]
    The Darien Jungle​

During the outbreak of war in Mexico, some ambitious politicians in New Granada advocated annexation of Panama. However, British command of the seas precluded a naval approach, and the one land expedition attempted through the Darien was lost before ever making it to Panama. Panama and her neighbor, Costa Rica, remained fairly peaceful during most of the troubles, both in the hands of federalists who were on good terms with one another. When Jorge Quintana of Yucatan put together the first southern Mexican coalition of federalists, both Panama and Costa Rica joined eagerly.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  4. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

The 1820s and 1830s were an age of reawakening for the French Empire. King Louis-Napoleon had managed to bring stability to the long warring nation in the decades since 1815, moderating between liberals and conservatives in the French legislature. As the legitimate inheritor of the mantles of both the Bourbons and the Bonepartes, he was in a unique position to do so. One man who would arise from the past to become one of his key allies in the reconciliation of the nation was the Marquis de Lafayette.
    [​IMG]

By the 1830s, the French who had lost so much of their overseas holdings began to establish new ones, with outposts in New Holland at Cygne Noir and Port Louis-Napoleon on the island of French Australe.

Port Louis-Napoleon
    [​IMG]

5. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

And yes, I know that some of the maps (especially world maps) will need to be retconned.:)

6. Communard 1871 Member

The amount of thought put into this timeline is both impressive and disturbing. Keep up the awesomeness!:)

7. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Thanks, it took some work making.:)

Probably not. Time will tell, though.

Well, a canal would certainly be of use.;)

Currently part of Mexico.

Currently part of the British Empire.

I don't think the Americans are anxious to take on the British at this point in history.

Smaller than OTL. Hmmm....a sale might happen....again, time will tell....

8. Falastur Fighting Swiss-wank since 1291

My worst fears are realised! The French can't be allowed to stay in New Zealand :mad:

9. Julius Vogel A rascal's rascal

Oh dear, this means my ancestors have to stay on wind blasted Scottish islands/Ulster/Yorkshire etc. Damm you Glen!

;)

10. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Ah, but both the US and the British Caribbean have more Catholics in them than OTL, with the Catholics in the British Caribbean being more Spanish to boot!

However, I tend to agree that neither the Americans nor the British are really interested in taking on a large Spanish population at this time (though some factions in Britain thought hard about it).

11. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Yes, funny the way that worked out....;)

You are pretty much right on all counts, except to note that there is a bit more Anglo presence around Santa Fe, since they've been running the territory from there, and have been doing so since the 1820s.

12. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

In the aftermath of the Slaver Uprising arose the new British colonial province of Carleton. Carleton was based primarily in the former trans-Appalachian North Carolina as well as Georgia north of the Cherokee River. The pre-Southern Civil War history of Carleton started with settlement by many of the same families who participated in the Regulator War. They would be followed after the American Revolutionary War by Loyalist families who had fled from Virginia and other northern states. The period between the American Revolution and the Slaver Uprising was dominated by clashes between the Loyalists and the First Nations who would raid across the USA-BSA border. Several prominent Loyalists of western North Carolina participated in British operations across the Mississippi during the Napoleonic Wars. While there was slavery in this region, it was not nearly as widespread as in some British provinces and in fact this area had the first abolitionist newspaper in continental British Southern America. The loyalists had driven the wild Indians away from the border between the Appalachians and the Mississippi, stood ever vigilant to repel any aggressions of the Yankees to the north, but were settling down to more prosperous times as the Civilized Tribes to their south turned from war to commerce, when the rebellion started. Loyalists in the region held fast to the Crown and were able fighters in the war, and were amply recognized and rewarded for their fidelity during the fight. When the Crown granted permission for them to form their own province, they chose to name it after the former governor of North Carolina who had done so much to hold their land loyal, and had been instrumental in helping so many of their ancestors migrate to the region, Guy Carleton. The first capitol of Carleton was established at Mulberry.

First house in Mulberry:
    [​IMG]

13. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

British took over the whole of Hispaniola during the Napoleonic Wars, so there never was a Dominican Republic ITTL.

14. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Yes to both.

Um, not quite. Some planters remained loyal to the crown. Ironically, there's also a lot of planters who are Indians as they by and large sided with the Crown. So while the planter class has taken a big hit, they're not quite gone.

True thus far.

Maybe, but I doubt the US would go as far as war with the British on behalf of Mexico....unless the British did something really stupid....

Why exactly would the US want a non-British source for tropical fruit?:confused: Now then, I can see some American business interests wanting to own their own tropical fruit businesses, which is a different thing entirely, and could be accomplished by investing in the fruit business in Mexico and the British Caribbean.

New Granada is the name here....and they don't have Panama. The British already have right of way agreements with Mexico for a trans-isthmus route in Nicaragua. Now then, that's not to say that the US won't want to get in on the act, far from it....

15. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Indeed. One might think of them as the Two Georges....;)

16. DuQuense Commisioned Officer CSN

IIRC the OTL Treaty allowing the building of the Nicaragua Canal had provisions about it being a joint US/British venture.

While TTL's DSA will be more Maritime oriented than OTL's Canada, So will TTL's US. They will compete for Shipping Rites in Mexico and SAmerica.
    However except for this I don't see any real area of conflict. In fact I see them cooperating in TTL's version of a "Monroe Doctrine".

?Wonder if TTL's AH.Com will be full of schemes for the US to Annex BSA? ?WI Jackson hadn't been killed? ?WI Texas had joined the US? ?WI the US had Gotten SCalifornia First? Etc.

17. Plumber جعل أميركا أكبر مرة أخرى

As a native Southern Californian (not ITTL though, a stable Mexico will probably prevent an analog of my grandpa from immigrating to New Mexico, and even if that does happen, my *mom probably will never meet my *dad since she will be in the DSA and he will be in the USA. Congratulations, even an analog of me has little possibility of even remotely existing :p), something I was wondering was are both the American and British Californias called California? I think it would make more sense if American California was called "Alta California," and British California called "Baja California" (would be better names than Upper/Lower or North/South California IMO).

Thanks! :D
    I have adjusted the map now. The self-government provinces still have the new Dominion province coloring, while New Mexico and California now get the Dominion territory coloring (I think that's the old Dominion coloring) to show that they are Texan. Don't know if the British colonization of Australasia is off now.
    DominionofSouthernAmerica.png

DominionofSouthernAmerica.png

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  18. Ridwan Asher Jungle Arab

I have never posted in this thread, but I will admit that I'm already subscribed to this TL and have been following this TL for quite long relative to its creation. Splendid TL, Glen !! :) I will be very eager to see what kind of 20th century will this world see :cool:

19. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Sorry to hear that Mexico seems to thwart you at every turn....are you perhaps turning avaricious eyes towards Mexican lands too much?;)

I don't know about a match made in heaven, but the Americans and Mexicans do have some common interests, which is always a good start.:)

20. The Doctor Well-Known Member

Strong Mexican government! Divided Brazil, Australia, AND New Zealand! In the great words of George Takei, Oh My! :D