Dominion of Southern America - Updated November 29, 2017

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Glen, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. FleetMac Patriotic Scalawag

-Good point, might make for a "backyard brawl" in the Chinas for who gets to space first!

-My thinking is that the Royal Navy (and, if it forms, Royal Southron Navy) has the sea and airlift to offset that logistical hurdle, we ARE talking about The Andrew after all. That being said, I can't argue with using a mainland location since it does make things cheaper. I'm not married to the notion of Canaveral itself, although it provides a stand-off location from inhabited areas in the unfortunate event of a rocket going "ka-BOOM". I suppose the Everglades could work too, although not the Keys (too small of a terrestrial footprint, Canaveral is close enough to land and has enough dirt to build on, not to mention the speed boost it provides in getting a rocket into orbit AND, being sea adjacent, makes for easy recovery of failed liftoffs).

-The Wallops Flight Facility IOTL belongs to NASA for launching sounding rockets, as well as boosting NOAA assets into high altitude and/or low orbit. Lots of military rocket/missile testing for things like SAMS, ABMs, and ASATs if I recall as well.

-IJS, the US can use the space race as a way of proving their mettle on the world stage without nasty wars or foreign entanglements (which I wouldn't personally consider a joint space program as such, given its economic and scientific potential rather than setting any kind of permanent political tie, necessarily).

Glen, gap80 and Sir Prizing like this.
  2. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Indeed it could be!

True but I think it will be an eastern coast rather than the Royal Navy (or partners).

Not really - East Florida is narrower than you might imagine.

What's the speed boost there? Lunar orbit?
    Thanks for that tidbit!

That's very true, though they have already had their big war with the Population War.

Simeon and Sir Prizing like this.
  3. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Does anyone have a map of the course the moon takes over the earth for launch windows?

4. FleetMac Patriotic Scalawag

-Oh I agree the east coast is a likely launching point, just considering alternatives.

-Narrower than a key on a strip of coastline and a barrier island like OTL? But point taken on suitability.

-The closer you get to the Earth's equator, the faster the Earth's rotation gets due to it spinning faster than other points; the land at the equator moves at 1670 km per hour, and land halfway to the pole is only moving 1180 km per hour, so launching from the equator makes the spacecraft move almost 500 km/hour faster once it is launched.

-Of course!

-Naturally (I even have had ideas on wartime highlights for American efforts alongside Britain, Southron America and their allies). The race to space offers a way to maintain their high standing globally (along with Pax Legion sponsorship) and more importantly offering more scientific discoveries.