Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Yeah prohibition was never a thing in this timeline so all of the alcohol industry is more developed in what would've been the our timeline USA. This means that the styles of wine in the California area will tend to be a little dryer and less sweet than our timeline.

To say nothing of the boon to American beer-making and liqueur production.

Fun - I would be curious to know how the Dominion of Meridia ends up encompassing all of Mexico. I know it's an awesome flag, but given the clear early divergence, I'd probably recommend using a different flag for Meridia since that one reflects perhaps too much parallel development. Nice job!

Mexico would have been much more unstable in this timeline, giving Britain a chance to intervene... while not particularly plausible, I thought it made for a better looking map. While thinking of it, I also thought it could become a common alternate history cliche in DoSA to have Britain invade and annex Mexico, just as America conquering Mexico is a cliche OTL. As for the flag, I would have to simply say that the one Xanthoc made was too perfect to pass up using again. I suppose a common criticism in-universe is that it is too convergent (like a number of alternate history worlds made OTL are).

I'm glad you liked it :)

IMG_7538.JPG Hmm I wonder what this lovely mans place shall be, something lucky, or something yankee

Maybe the myth of the wendigo could also become popular? There are a lot of sparsely populated and poorly mapped woodlands and mountains in the United States, even more than in OTL. Plenty of places for different mythical creatures to exist, from sasquatches to green dragons.

And generally it would be intresting to see what kind of fantasy literacy there is. It is probably very different when there not be Tolkien and Grimm Brothers might have very different career if exist. Or perhaps them have even bigger influence.

Glen

Yep we already touched on the Grimm boys.

570px-Jacob_und_Wilhelm_Grimm.png

The Brothers Grimm during the early days of the forming Empire of Germany

Jacob and Wilhelm, the Brothers Grimm, were integral to establishing the new German identity in the first half of the 19th century. Having come from humble origins, the family struggled until Jacob and Wilhelm published their collections of German fairy tales. The work was a seminal one in starting to create a sense of shared identity among the disparate peoples of the fractured German states. It also brought the Grimms much needed recognition, including honarary doctorates. This work would eventually lead to their appointments as professors at the University of Göttingen, which would fall in the territory of the Kingdom of Hanover. As the Grimms moved on to further works in the German language including etymology, they also became active in liberalist and pan-German activities. They were particularly fortunate to be in the lands of Hanover, which were relatively friendly to such activities compared to the leadership in some of the other German principalities, especially after the Napoleonic Wars. Their outspoken views on these subjects led to their selection as representatives to the new German legislature that formed in Hanover once the Prussians cracked down on Westphalia. The Grimms were among those who had a hand in writing the new German constitution. The Brothers Grimm would continue to split their time between their professorial duties in Göttingen and the German legislature in the city of Hanover until old age claimed them in the early 1860s.

The Brothers Grimm as distinguished Parliamentarians near the end of their lives
Grimm.jpg

Glen

The mid-twentieth century saw the rise of Individualist Liberalism and the Human League as an international organization.

After the turmoil of the Global War and the Population War, the world was weary of the violence and chaos unleashed by such divergent political creeds as Korsgaardism, a merger of reactionism and nationalism, and Malthusianism, an internationalist perversion of Liberalism. Political Philosopher Phineas Glenn, a veteran of the Population War, in his seminal work "The Triumph of the Individual," placed his finger squarely on why these political movements had led to such heartache and why Liberalism had been a consistent light to Humanity.

"The only just and valid political philosophy for governance is that which places the individual human at the center, with the only justification for governance being to provide a better life for the individual as defined by that individual than the individual could achieve singly. Not family, not folk, not nation, not even humanity itself can take precedent over the individual person, for to do so is the path to tyranny."

More and more the role of the Human League was seen as to safeguard the "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" of all individuals across the globe. Of course while high minded ideals were necessary as a guiding light to the nations, determining what was actually in the best interest of the individual and how to balance the competing interests of individuals. The second half of twentieth century politics would be dominated by the attempt to answer those very questions.

people%20of%20the%20world%202.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still concerned that there will be widespread reactions against access to abortion and gay marriage due to the Malthusian's support of both, which will limit the support for individualism in general.