Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Nice update. Would you say the USA is more powerful at this point in time than OTL?

Mac Gregor

Good question. Glen would have to say but I suspect the answer is yes. They had a larger population hit initially compared to OTL but since then things have gone better for them. No civil war, markedly faster social development and more land to settle and develop. Think TTL is a little ahead of OTL technologically.

Steve

Glen

Nice update. Would you say the USA is more powerful at this point in time than OTL?

Yes it is. It has more infrastructure and more wealth compared to OTL. So does the DSA compared to its OTL equivalent regions. Interestingly this has not been the case for either region in the earlier part of the timeline. I will have to look at the numbers but I suspect that things started to flip by the 1820s, though of course there was a dip for the BSA in the 1840s 1850s, but by the 1860s on both the USA and DSA are stronger than thei OTL counterparts.

Slavery illegal in USA

Can someone please point me to the point in the TL where Slavery became illegal in the USA?

Yes it is. It has more infrastructure and more wealth compared to OTL. So does the DSA compared to its OTL equivalent regions. Interestingly this has not been the case for either region in the earlier part of the timeline. I will have to look at the numbers but I suspect that things started to flip by the 1820s, though of course there was a dip for the BSA in the 1840s 1850s, but by the 1860s on both the USA and DSA are stronger than thei OTL counterparts.

Got it. Thanks for the response.

Glen

Mac Gregor

Good question. Glen would have to say but I suspect the answer is yes. They had a larger population hit initially compared to OTL but since then things have gone better for them. No civil war, markedly faster social development and more land to settle and develop.

Agreed.

Think TTL is a little ahead of OTL technologically.

Steve

On average, it is now a bit more advanced technologically, though there are some areas where they are a bit behind, but mostly ahead by this point. In many ways, what they are more ahead of us in is the adoption of new technologies and discoveries, rather than the discoveries themselves.

Glen

The last US President of the 19th century was the Federalist Steven Ladd. A favorite son of Pennsylvania, he was a protege of outgoing President Poe. Steven Ladd was a handsome gentleman who was the first president to enter the White House unmarried (his first wife had died at a relatively young age). He was the most eligible man in Washington during his term in office. While relatively well thought of by those who knew him from both parties, he could not stop the tide of change that the turn of the century was bringing. People were growing tired after twelve years of Federalist domination of the Presidency (and the Congress for most that time), and Steven Ladd would lose the election to the Democrats.

President Ladd and some supporters at his rustic retreat in Pennsylvania:

frankie-avalon-alan-ladd-between-scenes-of-guns-of-the-timberland.jpg

Glen

It was abolished with the ratification of the Constitution. What I can't remember is when slavery was abolished throughout the entire DSA.

Actually, I seem to recall that the law and the writing of the constitution happened to coincide, but I don't believe it is actually written into the constitution. I will double check.

Glen

Presidents of the United States of America to 1900
  1. George Washington - No Party Affiliation - 1789-1797
  2. John Adams - Federalist - 1797-1805
  3. Thomas Jefferson - Democratic-Republican - 1805-1813
  4. James Madison - Federalist - 1813-1821
  5. John Quincey Adams - Federalist - 1821-1829
  6. John Andrew Schulze - Democratic-Republican - 1829-1837
  7. Peter Buell Porter - Federalist - 1837-1841
  8. Pierre Nicolas de Condorcet - Democrat* - 1841-1849
  9. Benjamin Hull Kays - Federalist - 1849-1857
  10. Nicholas Samuel Roosevelt - Federalist - 1857-1865
  11. Anthony Wayne Tullis - Democrat - 1865-1868 (Assassinated)
  12. Barabas Lynch - Democrat - 1868-1869 (Tullis' Vice-President**)
  13. Horace Napoleon Miller - Democrat - 1869-1873
  14. John Bertrand - Federalist - 1873-1881
  15. James Blunt - Federalist - 1881-1885
  16. Erastus R. Bingham - Democrat - 1885-1889
  17. Alexander Poe - Federalist - 1889-1897
  18. Steven Ladd - Democrat - 1897-1901
* The Democratic-Republican Party's name was shortened to the Democratic Party in the 1840s.
**Some Historians dispute whether Lynch should be counted as a President, and instead classify him as 'Acting President', but most history texts count him as the 12th President of the United States, even if never elected to the office.

Glen

Now that I have rounded out the list of Presidents of the United States for the 19th century, I want to hold a poll to see who was the greatest 19th century President (I am declaring Washington greatest 18th Century President by default). Since Adams second term was in the 19th century, he is eligible.

First we need nominations for who is the DSA World's best US President. Once we have our candidates, I will create the poll.

Presidents of the United States of America to 1900
  1. George Washington - No Party Affiliation - 1789-1797
  2. John Adams - Federalist - 1797-1805
  3. Thomas Jefferson - Democratic-Republican - 1805-1813
  4. James Madison - Federalist - 1813-1821
  5. John Quincey Adams - Federalist - 1821-1829
  6. John Andrew Schulze - Democratic-Republican - 1829-1837
  7. Peter Buell Porter - Federalist - 1837-1841
  8. Pierre Nicolas de Condorcet - Democrat* - 1841-1849
  9. Benjamin Hull Kays - Federalist - 1849-1857
  10. Nicholas Samuel Roosevelt - Federalist - 1857-1865
  11. Anthony Wayne Tullis - Democrat - 1865-1868 (Assassinated)
  12. Barabas Lynch - Democrat - 1868-1869 (Tullis' Vice-President**)
  13. Horace Napoleon Miller - Democrat - 1869-1873
  14. John Bertrand - Federalist - 1873-1881
  15. James Blunt - Federalist - 1881-1885
  16. Erastus R. Bingham - Democrat - 1885-1889
  17. Alexander Poe - Federalist - 1889-1897
  18. Steven Ladd - Democrat - 1897-1901
* The Democratic-Republican Party's name was shortened to the Democratic Party in the 1840s.
**Some Historians dispute whether Lynch should be counted as a President, and instead classify him as 'Acting President', but most history texts count him as the 12th President of the United States, even if never elected to the office.

Wow! a *lot* fewer presidents in TTL. In OTL, we got to number 18 in 1869 (Grant). Only one assassination, and nobody dying in office of illness.

Wow! a *lot* fewer presidents in TTL. In OTL, we got to number 18 in 1869 (Grant). Only one assassination, and nobody dying in office of illness.

And about half of presidents has served two terms and there is very stabil party system. In OTL lasted many decades before current party system of US had formed.

I think it's time for a Quebec separatist movement (one that's eventually successful) - just to make things more interesting. There's not much exiting happening in the USA.