Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

I realize that it may not be possible in German, but is there any way we can end up with the Global War doing the same thing to Germany that the Civil War did to the United States in regards to singular/plural? (Before the war "Germany are" after the war "Germany is"?

(This may not be possible in any language more structured than English, which probably covers every language on the planet)
It isn't possible in German (-land is singular). Actually, it isn't exactly possible in English either - Germany was already established as a singular term at the time of the POD, due to the existence of the plural term 'the Germanies'.

Glen

It isn't possible in German (-land is singular). Actually, it isn't exactly possible in English either - Germany was already established as a singular term at the time of the POD, due to the existence of the plural term 'the Germanies'.

True, they could of started out as the Federation of the Germanies or even the Empire of the Germanies (and may have even sometimes been referred to that way colloquially), but the way the history went down it was definitely as 'Germany'.

I suppose you could look at it that way though Molte might be closer in some respects. Your Hessian roots did inspire me, true, and I wanted to give your cameo personae some roots there. Philipp seemed quite cool so I ran with it - and who knows, it is not a common name so you could be related! When I saw the Electors were eccentric enough to keep the name Elector but capricious in their rule I thought how amusing if a democratic revolution tossed them out but kept the Elector name.

I see only one possible, minor flaw with this: The full title is prince-elector, in German Kurfürst (after Middle High German word "kur" or "kure" -> election). So the only way to keep that title (or the "elector" portion of it) is to keep the Latin name PRINCEPS ELECTOR around / just let the Kurhessians choose the Latin name but drop the PRINCEPS part in order to remove royalist/absolutist connections. Funny... A Latin title for the leader of a German state...

Glen

I see only one possible, minor flaw with this: The full title is prince-elector, in German Kurfürst (after Middle High German word "kur" or "kure" -> election). So the only way to keep that title (or the "elector" portion of it) is to keep the Latin name PRINCEPS ELECTOR around / just let the Kurhessians choose the Latin name but drop the PRINCEPS part in order to remove royalist/absolutist connections. Funny... A Latin title for the leader of a German state...

A latin title is fine. The Americans have Senators, and IOTL the Germans had a Ceasar (Kaiser) as the Imperial title.

Glen

The Global War pitted not only German speaking nation against German speaking nation, but sometimes family against one another. A example of this was highlighted by the poems of Hans Merhoff, a prominent Bavarian poet who served in the German forces against Austria-Hungary. Despite being away from the front with Prussia-Poland, on three separate occasions he encountered Merhoffs of the Prussian branch of the family (who had converted to Lutheranism and moved to East Prussia during the Reformation). The most famous of these chance encounters was during the Christmas holiday in 1890, when Hans Merhoff and his distant relative, Wilhelm Merhoff, brokered a truce for the Christmas celebrations. While this lasted only the day, it was one of the few bright moments in the Year of Blood, and prompted Merhoff's first break-out poem. Shortly after the war, Hans Merhoff was named Poet Laureate of Bavaria and later in his career that of the Empire of Germany.
3696069.b990e922.560.jpg

A confederated empire in a sense. There are both republics and kingdoms within the German Empire, with a variety of differing laws and customs, though they can't contradict the imperial constitution, and even the kingdoms are operating under democratic constitutions and institutions (the kings and dukes that wiuldn't found their lands converted to republics one way or another). The Global War brings more homogenization to the armed forces than existed prior to it, and will start a trend towards more centralization but nothing like IOTL.

Thanks for the feedback.

Abhakhazia

Banned
The Global War pitted not only German speaking nation against German speaking nation, but sometimes family against one another. A example of this was highlighted by the poems of Hans Merhoff, a prominent Bavarian poet who served in the German forces against Austria-Hungary. Despite being away from the front with Prussia-Poland, on three separate occasions he encountered Merhoffs of the Prussian branch of the family (who had converted to Lutheranism and moved to East Prussia during the Reformation). The most famous of these chance encounters was during the Christmas holiday in 1890, when Hans Merhoff and his distant relative, Wilhelm Merhoff, brokered a truce for the Christmas celebrations. While this lasted only the day, it was one of the few bright moments in the Year of Blood, and prompted Merhoff's first break-out poem. Shortly after the war, Hans Merhoff was named Poet Laureate of Bavaria and later in his career that of the Empire of Germany.

What a heartwarming story, especially with my own family in it.
:D :cool:

Glen

In the election of 1872 the Federalists took back the presidency with the victory of their candidate, John Bertrand. Bertrand was the 'favorite son' of two states, born in Quebec but rising to prominence in New York. Bertrand's first term saw the height of the Grand Design period of history, and the pagentry and spectacle of the nation's Centennial in 1876, including the dedication of the twin collossi guarding the Hudson River approach to Washington, and the signing into law of Women's Suffrage for the entire nation. He easily won reelection and served out his second term in relative peace and prosperity.
Hendricks_Large.jpg

Glen

The Federalists managed to hold the presidency in the open election of 1880, much to the misfortune of incoming president James Blunt. Blunt was born in Maine, but made his career in the state of Ohio, rising eventually to the governorship of that state, as in the latter half of the 19th century the formerly staunch Democratic state had become a battleground for the Democrats and Federalists. While President Blunt was a good man, his administration was devoured by the Great Panic of 1881 and the subsequent economic crisis in the nation and the world. He also had to deal with increasing conflicts between labor and business as businesses stove to squeeze whatever profit they could out of an increasingly desperate workforce, who nonetheless banded together to protect their jobs and some degree of dignity and standard of living. It is doubtful that any president could have remained in office in these turbulent times, and Blunt barely fought off a challenge for his own party's nomination, only to be defeated by the Democrats in the presidential election of 1884.
467px-James_G._Blunt_-_Brady-Handy.jpg

Glen

I have a third question for my intrepid and erudite readers. What examples of tropes do you find in the Dominion of Southern America - I am thinking of adding a DSA listing to TV Tropes.

Glen

I thought of For want of a nail but the change of govaners would probibly be bigger than an For want of a nail situation.

Yeah, not a perfect fit. Although the decision of assignment out of London is a small one. Maybe just plain old What If?

Also Butterfly of doom with the fact the OTL Spring of nations cousing an war that for ever seperated Germany from Prussia ITTL.

And this is a bad thing?:rolleyes:

Yeah, not a perfect fit. Although the decision of assignment out of London is a small one. Maybe just plain old What If?

And this is a bad thing?:rolleyes:
I thought butterfly of doom just meant the butterfly coused massive changes via butterflys. I didn't know it had any negitive meaning.

Yeah it's defently an Whati If.