Dominion of Southern America - Updated November 29, 2017

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Glen, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

A good point, and the profits probably aren't there....

There is a version of this out there.

So that is making you say it was in fact likely to hold onto colonies ITTL?

Not a factor ITTL at this point in history for sure.

Okay, a point.

Noted - thanks for the feedback.

2. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

You might also like to know the showcase for the TL is the second most read article on site :)

3. Falastur Fighting Swiss-wank since 1291

Not specifically the abolition of monarchies, but the widespread presence of democracy. I tend to view the decolonialism phase as the result of three distinct things, to simplify this discussion down by a large degree: 1 - the fact that Europe couldn't afford its loss-making colonies anymore after WWs 1+2; 2 - the rise of democracy and welfare meaning that there was a substantial minority vox populi in several states essentially saying "how can we live with ourselves running colonies where people are so underpriviledged" (this also incorporates the colonials themselves calling for self-determination); 3 - the US strongly leaning on France and the UK to ditch their empires and retreat back into their European shells allowing the USA a free shot at making its own emp...oops, did I say that out loud?

As far as I can see so far, none of these three main considerations currently exist. Point 1 theoretically could occur at the end of this war if the war is even more destructive than WW2 OTL. Point 3 theoretically could occur but given the USA is hardly at the prestige level it was OTL, and looks highly unlikely to be needed to save the day in the way it was OTL, it would be somewhat pretentious of them to try it, and the European states would be well within their rights to simply laugh them out of the treaty discussions for saying it. Point 2 so far I have seen little-to-no indication of whatsoever though I could be wrong, and I regard point 2 to be the most important one.

As mentioned above, that three point system is an oversimplification. Each of those points could be broken down further, meaning there's a considerable grey area/unsatisfied conditions here.

4. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Great to hear - what was the first?

5. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

A review of Spike TV's Alternate History

6. Iserlohn The Undefeated.

Saving this page from page 3 by bumping.

7. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

There were many tales that were serialized from the Global War, with perhaps the most popular in the United States of America being The Adventures of Nick and Marty - The Roosevelt Brothers At War. The Roosevelt brothers father, Nicholas Van Buren Roosevelt, was the oldest son of former US President Nicholas Samuel Roosevelt and grandson of steamboat magnate Nicholas Isaac Roosevelt.

Nick Roosevelt, the oldest brother, was the first to volunteer for service in the Global War, joining the British Airship Corps, becoming the captain of his own Orca before war's end. Nick Roosevelt was so well regarded among his fellows,that despite his American roots, he was tapped to lead the daring air strike on Berlin, and would be highly decorated for this and his successful return of his damaged Air Whale to Hanover.

Marty Roosevelt was Nick's younger brother, who joined an American light cavalry unit formed to combat the Mexican onslaught flooding into the western regions of the Dominion of Southern America. Marty rose rapidly through the ranks of what developed into an irregular force, launching attacks deep into the Mexican supply lines. Within a year, young Marty had risen to acting commander of what came to be called Roosevelt's Raiders.

The Roosevelt Brothers.png

8. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

[​IMG]

9. IchBinDieKaiser Casual Historian

YES. It has been done.

10. GrizzlyTrotsky Member

Not one but two Roosevelts. The awesomeness contained in this post is near singularity density.

11. teg The Worst Unionist

As this timeline continues, it gets more awesome. I'd be careful Glen, as I am sure there are laws against making a timeline this awesome. Keep up the good work.

12. Darth_Kiryan The Númenorean Sith

Although something to do with Roosevelt was expected, a Teddy Roosevelt at that - but brothers, just wow!:eek:

Yet..... Van Buren Roosevelt. Van Buren. That is probably the most unexpected addition to the name. Just, wow. :D:eek:

13. Falastur Fighting Swiss-wank since 1291

Though as a Brit I am immune to all Roosevelt-is-awesome hyperbole, with one brother fighting for the US and one for the empire, what price

14. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Actually, they are BOTH fighting for the British Empire, one in the DSA, the other in Europe.

15. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Somehow I'm not surprised....

16. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Been distracted for a moment, but never fear, we will continue to stay front page news (most of the time)!

17. Falastur Fighting Swiss-wank since 1291

Yes, but if I read it correctly, Nick is actually fighting for a British unit, whereas Marty is leading a US unit which is simply assisting their allies on British soil, and thus within reasonable expectation at the end of the war will simply be given orders to return to the USA and remain American, albeit as a hero.

18. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

It set the AH genre back five years...

19. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Thank you one and all for your praise - high praise indeed! I am gladdened that my works are moving you so.

But really, two old Dutch families of standing in New York - the surprise is that it wasn't OTL!:D

20. Lord Grattan consigned to OTL

My plans to infuse Roosevelt blood and influence into Albion's royal family and national ethos have now been rendered nothing but soggy cereal. ;) Seriously though Glen, you are a master story weaver! :cool: