Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Mexico's winning of the war depends entirely upon if their allies can win their own theaters, and how much territory they hold at settlement. However, given Mexico is stronger ITTL, and the DSA is smaller than the USA, I'd say the DSA starts out a favorite, but Mexico is no slouch. I'd expect either a stalemate along most of the fronts (after the surprise of the initial assault) or else the DSA makes some headway, but doesn't march on to Mexico City.

Maybe, maybe - but don't forget that Mexico gets the advantage of surprise.

Either way, I don't think they'll take too much more from TTL's Mexico, as I really don't think they want to be troubled with a restive Mexican population. I think they'd be more likely to ask for Nicaragua for the canal than OTL's South Texas.

Those are some interesting thoughts. We'll have to see how things end up....

Glen

You're in the Nick Roosevelt Brigade. In The United States of China. Facing a charge of Chuen Infantry. And all you have is a hammer....

When you're in the Nick Roosevelt Brigade, all you need is a hammer....:D

I love the idea already.

Now that I think of it, What might the USA gain out of this battle (If it gets involved)? Could America snag a few Pacific Islands or Parts of Russia?

Possible, but why would they?

Glen

Yeah, this makes the most sense for the United States. While it would be cool to see them get into the war, there is no plausible reason for them to do so. I see them sitting it out, like they have been doing sense independence, and making a lot of money off selling arms and loans to the west. By the war’s end, I think the United States' position in the world will have gone up dramatically like in OTL even if they don’t become involved militarily.

Well, making money for sure, and it will have to be a bit of a strange happenstance to pull them into the war - then again, how much sense did it really make for the USA to enter WWI?

Glen

Ah, interesting. It'll be interesting to see what this war does to the US Korsgaardian Party. To paraphrase a well-known song, "I predict McCarthyism, I predict McCarthyism"

Let's just say I don't think that the future of Korsgaardianism will be bright in America....

Glen

Glen

This seems to suggest that there's only one year of fairly total stalemate. [Since it refers to a year of blood]. Wonder what happens, presuming I'm right, to break the grip of the defence.

Interesting and insightful thoughts, as usual, Steve....

Even with a more advanced technology than OTL I think its really too early for a practical tank type vehicle.

Well, it is a question, isn't it?

However could have serious internal discontent in one or more power, Germany because of the occupation of parts of it

True.

or one of the eastern powers because of the heavy losses suffered.

And don't forget the resources issue...

Or a Gallipoli like operation, probably by the western powers, to turn a defensive position.

Do you mean one that succeeds or fails?

Another option might be a major breakthrough by either side in China or one of the more thinly populated regions where trench warfare is probably more difficult. Although in such areas the gains are likely to be substantially less important strategically.

True and true.

Good for the western powers that their able to realise that with new weapons coming in the defence has the edge and hence to hold their lines rather than retake occupied areas.

I thought it made for a nice change of pace.

This could also be useful for the DSA as it means that Britain is likely to be able to give substantial support to defeating the Mexican attack.

Not necessarily - that is a lot of land to cover even on the defense....

A lot would depend on the relative resources available but being probably outnumbered, heavily outclassed industrially and with long exposed coastlines Mexico could come under heavy pressure very quickly, especially if the centralising nature of the Korsgaardians prompt separatist instincts in some of the Mexican provinces.

Steve

Some fairly interesting points there - time will tell....

Glen

Kosgaardianism actually seems more like Stalinism than Fascism to me, ironic, seeing as it's propagated by the upper classes. It seems to be pretty much total devotion to the state.

Really it is totalitarianism - which of course was an element in both Fascism and Stalinism....

I also agree that the two major parties in the United States are gonna see the wave of Kossgardian governments, even in republics, and try top stamp out the Kossgardians in the US. Maybe one effect of the Global War is an analogue to OTL's First Red Scare?

Perhaps....you are not the first person to suggest it....

Glen

I fear that Granada jumping on the bandwagon here is finally answering the question whether Korsgaardianism is a fascist-style philosophical alliance of right-wing thought or simply a shift to right-wing political thought.

Yeah, it kinda does, doesn't it?

Glen

The interesting thing about having the airships powered by steam engines is the possiblity of having emergency "replacement" airbags in case the ones filled with hydrogen (helium?) become ruptured. Extra bags could be stored and the steam vented to the bags to fill them. The water condesate would drip down the inner bag and could be rerouted to the steam engines again.

http://www.ehow.com/info_10026891_steam-balloon-project.html

I couldn't see this used to continue combat, but more as a means to get the airship back to friendly territory for repair.

Interesting side benefit, yes....

Glen

Suddenly airships.

Oh how much potential this post has! As IchBinDieKaiser said: There needs to be a Roosevelt piloting one in a badass fashin. With the family being in the region near NYC since the 1640s this should be no problem ;)

Oh, you guys!:D

Glen

Could we please have a map of the current frontlines Glen. That would be awesome. This tl is great and still going strong.

happy new year everyone

teg

I will have to look into that - thanks for your support...and a Happy New Year to you, too!

Glen

Its not a case of footholds in India Glen, saltpeter production was an India wide activity (since its made from peoples shit) enabled by the British economic control and aggregation, and concentrated in the North-East.

Good to know, if a bit of a graphic mental picture....