Dominion of Southern America - Updated November 29, 2017

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Glen, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

The earliest European contact with the Hawaiians was through the British, a relationship that would gradually grow over the years. While initially discovered by the British in the late 18th century, one of the first permanent contacts with the West were missionaries from the new Deist Christian denominations developing in the USA. Deist missionaries were treated cordially, but had little impact on the Hawaiians. Contacts with Russia were the next in line of European contacts, leading to a trading site in Kauii, but otherwise had little impact. The British were the most successful, however, returning to the islands with Anglican and Methodist missionaries who made a real impact on the royalty and peoples of Hawaii, converting many to Protestantism. The British also persuaded the Hawaiians to revoke he Russian trading mission in Kauii after collusion between the leaders of Kauii and the Russians to overthrow the rule of Oahu was discovered. In the 1840s, with the rise of the Dominion of Southern American and the establishment of trading ports in China, the British found the utility of a weystation more to the north of greater importance. The British and Hawaiians reached an accord, leading to the leasing of the Harbors of Oahu to the British Royal Navy and making Hawaii a protectorate of the British Empire.

The Flag of the Kingdom of Hawaii was clearly inspired by that of the British East India Company, but instead of 13 alternating stripes, it had 9, representing the nine islands of Hawaii.

Flag of Hawaii.png

2. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

Noooo!!!! A British Sandwhich Islands!

I had my figers crossed the USA would get them. Oh well, They shall find new shores to colinize elsewhere I hope?

3. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Afraid so, afraid so....

Mayhaps, mayhaps....

4. Tsao Banned

Great timeline! I'm particularly interesteds the USC and the possibilities it offers...:)

5. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Ah yes, my Southern Chinese Revolutionaries - they really are ones to watch, aren't they? I am gratified that you are enjoying the timeline. Please keep up your patronage!

6. SpazzReflex my kidneys are somewhere?

Aw. I thought you could pull a Russian Hawaii out of your hat. I suppose British Sandwich Islands are very much plausible.

7. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

Theres a question... as far as American expansion, I was going to bet on Hawaii leading to a massive colinization wave... without that, where?

American Madagascar, maybe perhaps?

8. IchBinDieKaiser Casual Historian

How about Greenland? I'm sure the Sweden/Denmark doesn't need it.

9. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

Greenland for Hawaii? Awful trade!

10. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

I seriously considered it - or at least a Russian Kauii, but looking at OTL versus TTL, I found the idea of the Russians claiming any of it less likely ITTL than in our own. Their interest in Mainland America was already less, and they were focusing more on the Far East - plus the guy who kinda pushed for more for Russia there was a hired hand German - the conglomeration of things made it less likely that there would be a substantial Russian presence there compared to OTL.

11. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Well, they still have a lot of Mainland North America to digest before they go looking for more...

12. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Yes, it would be a poor trade, but since the US doesn't have a foothold in Hawaii, then its not a trade at all - but only time will tell if Greenland remains part of the Scandinavian Empire or is lost to the grossly sized CONTIGUOUS USA!;)

13. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

My thanks and congratulations, dear viewers! This thread has now become the 6th most viewed thread in Before 1900 Discussion Forum. Thank you for your patronage and interest!:D

14. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

Our pleasure! Any idea where the DSA would place on overall leaderboards?

15. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Depends what you include.

If you just look at non-ASB timeline discussion forums (Before 1900, After 1900, Future) we are about 10th most viewed. If you throw in ASB for good measure, we're 12th, then with Shared Worlds we're 13th. If you add in the Alt Hist Media and Books thread, we're about 18th, and with the two chat forums included, we're around 19th. Granted, I was trying to keep a running count in my head, so that is roughly correct only, I may have slipped one or two spots in the process.

16. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

We shall not rest until it's at the top :D!

17. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

I would expect no less from the Founder of Korsgaardianism....

18. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

It's Korsgaardianism, not Korsgaardism? I'll have to fix my title.

In the mean time, alternate historians of the world, unite!

19. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Actually, both are acceptable variants, and will both be used in the timeline.

You have nothing to lose but your linearity!;)

20. Umbric Man Umbric Manned

British Hawaii is one of those supposed 'cliches' that don't actually get done that much, so I give points for both doing it and making it plausible. :)