Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

What would you compare it to OTL-wise? It seems oddly original..

Oh, somewhat like a fascist Das Kapital....but in a warm, fuzzy, way....how's that for original?;)

True... and my last name is now rendered immortal.

Yep.

It does look like my great-great-great-grandfather had a hand in uniting Scandinavia (family lore suggests that we're illigetimately decended from Hans Christian Anderson).

Interesting, interesting....

Glen

Hans Christian Anderson names a country. Interesting.

Thanks, I thought so, too - the major timeline changes really hadn't hit Denmark by 1805, so he is pretty similar to OTL's HCA. He really did write a same titled poem IOTL and if anything, I thought his Scandinavian comments would get more attention ITTL than OTL.

Oh, somewhat like a fascist Das Kapital....but in a warm, fuzzy, way....how's that for original?;)

Very original. I'm like Karl Marx, Benito Musselini, and Ayn Rand rolled up into a single revolutionary... can't wait to see what Zeus does next especially since he's only in his twenties...

The Young Empress of the British Empire rejected corseting and other restrictive and heavy fashion conventions in favor of clean lines, functionality, and a celebration of the natural body. Soon, salons across Europe and the Americas were filled with women embracing the loose and practical new fashion.

Thank you, thank you and thank you for making corsets go away. :D

It's always interesting to see fashion and other cultural aspects in an ATL. I wonder what this new Elizabethan age has brought for men's fashion?

The first part of the 19th century had seen the rise of liberalism, and by the middle of the century it seemed as if it would be the dominant philosophy guiding the development of societies in the world.

However, a new social system was proposed in the mid 19th century as a reaction to liberalism. Zeus Korsgaard (Zeus was a nom de plume, though Korsgaard was his family name) was a young firebrand whose political leanings caused him to leave his home in the Jutland Peninsula to find a more receptive audience in Prussia-Poland. In 1865, at the tender age of 20, Korsgaard wrote his seminal work, "In Defense of the State," which essentially laid out his counter to the more established liberalism of the West. He rejected liberalism's emphasis on the individual, insisting that it was only service to the state that could provide a stable society and coordinate the various segments of society. Korsgaard insisted that the entirety of history and all levels of society must be woven together into a mutually supportive whole that would culminate in the stable and prosperous state. He stated that tradition and history should be venerated and used to provide the foundation for the state, noting that each state had a unique history and tradition that established its identity. This tendency towards nostalgia and commemoratinig the past was perhaps a lingering trace of romanticism from the earlier part of the century which had served as a sort of cultural counter to the enlightenment. Korsgaard further endorsed the essential role of the ruler as the centerpoint for the state, citing the Prusso-Polish Kaiser and Russian Tsar as two examples of this principle. Korsgaard believed that family, class, industry, all must be fostered but also subservient to the state.

Zeus Korsgaard Portrait

I'm sorry Glen but since when did the King of Prussia style himself Kaiser/emperor? Wouldn't König/king be more fitting, since both crowns lack the prestige for any sort of imperial title?

Glen

I'm sorry Glen but since when did the King of Prussia style himself Kaiser/emperor? Wouldn't König/king be more fitting, since both crowns lack the prestige for any sort of imperial title?

If you haven't noticed, there's been a bit of "Imperial Inflation" in the crowned heads of Europe. Yes, it is pretention, but such is life.

If you haven't noticed, there's been a bit of "Imperial Inflation" in the crowned heads of Europe. Yes, it is pretention, but such is life.

Ah, small name, big ego then ;). And everything that results in Prussia-bashing of any form (e.g. by inspirering TTL's Fascism equivalent) is good by the way.

It's always interesting to see fashion and other cultural aspects in an ATL. I wonder what this new Elizabethan age has brought for men's fashion?

If the trends of the Empress are any indication of what lies in store for men, I'd foresee a shift away from the "uptight" formal wear of stuffy suits, starched collars, waistcoats, powdered wigs (ew!) and the like. We could expect to see more functional, simple clothing that was less restrictive and perhaps better suited towards walking about rather than riding (or standing at attention).

As much as I'd hope for a bit of Polynesian influence in the way of unbifurcated men's garments, it's probably a bit too soon for that sort of casual wear to take root. Maybe Scottish kilts can become popular, or at least a more casual variant of the same? :)

Glen

If the trends of the Empress are any indication of what lies in store for men, I'd foresee a shift away from the "uptight" formal wear of stuffy suits, starched collars, waistcoats,

Possibly.

powdered wigs (ew!) and the like.

That went out at the turn of the century!

We could expect to see more functional, simple clothing that was less restrictive and perhaps better suited towards walking about rather than riding (or standing at attention).

Possible, possible...

As much as I'd hope for a bit of Polynesian influence in the way of unbifurcated men's garments, it's probably a bit too soon for that sort of casual wear to take root.

Probably, but you never know...

Maybe Scottish kilts can become popular, or at least a more casual variant of the same? :)

Hmmm, that would be...interesting...

Glen

The Dual Monarchy of Prussia and Poland offered new opportunities to young, restless Poles. While the Prussians had most of the high offices in the dual monarchy (or later, Empire), there were places for Poles in the foreign services and adventurous Poles began to spread across the globe. Many in military service would end up in Chuen China or Korea as advisers to their modernizing armies. Others joined the merchant marine. Yet others would become explorers - Africa in particular seemed to hold a strange attraction for the Polish mind. The most famous early Polish African Adventurer was Konrad Januszewicz who in 1872 became the first European to map the entire course of the Congo River, and whose claims of the Congo Basin in the name of Prussia-Poland would set off a land rush in Africa by the European Powers.
256px-Sunrise_near_Mossaka_(Congo).JPG

Not sure if this has been answered yet but do people from the USA go by the term 'Americans' TTL or by some other name since there is the DSA?