Dominion of Southern America - Updated November 29, 2017

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Glen, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

President Kays was a stern but caring president, sometimes referred to a a second father of the nation. His two terms, from 1853 to 1861, were ones of peace, prosperity, and stable growth for the nation, marred only by continued strife with Plains Indians in the territories. Many attributed his successes as paving the way for the continuation of Federalist occupancy of the presidency, when Nicholas Samuel Roosevelt, son of steamboat inventor and magnate, Nicholas Roosevelt, won the presidency in 1860.

[​IMG]

2. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

While President Nicholas Roosevelt was able to hold onto the presidency for the Federalists in the 1864 election, by the open election of 1868, the nation was experiencing Federalist fatigue, and a Democrat again ascended to the presidency. Anthony Wayne Tullis (named after General 'Mad' Anthony Wayne, one of the founders of the Legion of the United States) was a gentleman farmer and dark horse candidate from Ohio, but whose family had roots going back to colonial Virginia.

President Anthony Wayne Tullis

Tullis touchup.PNG

3. Earl_of_Somerset Banned

this is moving along VERY fast!

4. Turquoise Blue Dangerously Inconsistent Donor

1. Pennsylvania
    2. Delaware
    3. New Jersey
    4. Connecticut
    5. Massachusetts
    6. Maryland
    7. Virginia
    8. Quebec
    9. New Hampshire
    10. New York
    11. Nova Scotia
    12. Rhode Island
    13. Newfoundland
    14. Vermont
    15. Kentucky
    16. Ohio
    17. Ontario
    18. Wabash
    19. Maine
    20. Illinois
    21. Huron
    22. Michigan
    23. Missouri
    24. Mississippi
    25. Oregon
    26. California
    27. Minnesota

5. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

It was my birthday yesterday; I had time. And the presidential posts are more to get them out there while I had time to pull some ideas together. We've still a bit more to do to fill out the 1850s, and we've only started to touch ono the 1860s.

6. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

This map of North America in the 1850s shows the 27 states and 8 territories of the United States of America of the time. It should be noted that during the Kays Administration, the naming conventions of US states and territories began to shift towards the names of the earliest Presidents of the United States. The Adams Territory was the remainder of the old Missouri Territory, comprised of land taken during the War of 1804, acquired during President Adam's tenure as president. The Jefferson Territory was the remainder of the Oregon Country, the final rights to which had been negotiatied in the Transcontinental Treaty by the Jefferson administration. Not coincidentally, the naming of these two territories meant one each was from the Federalist and Democratic (previously called Democratic-Republican) parties. For the remaining territories in the Southwest along the border, the Colorado Territory had already been named under the older nomenclature system, but some argued for renaming the territory using the presidential system. Schulze was the president under which the territory had been acquired, but it was felt that he was too 'recent' a president to name a territory after, and so some suggested that the territory be renamed Washington, for the founding president of America, as it seemed wrong to have territories named after other founding-father presidents but not the founding president. In the end, Colorado Territory retained its name, but a new territory was created out of the old Missouri Territory lands below the 40th parallel, which was named Washington Territory.

1850s DSA and USA.png

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  7. Umbric Man Umbric Manned

Seeing North America in all its glory, eh? :D Great work. The newer states and their names are very natural-seeming.

8. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Thanks! Trying to get a bigger and better map for North America has been a process, to say the least. I have tried to have the territorial evolution of the map driven by the terrain and history involved. Given that many of the names harken from the time before the POD of this timeline, they still are familiar to us.

9. Turquoise Blue Dangerously Inconsistent Donor

Have you noticed my list of states?

10. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Indeed I have! I was still working on the updated map, however, at the time. It will give me a strong start going through the timeline to pin years of admission to them.

11. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

My current best guess as to years of admission of states to the United States of America.

1. Pennsylvania - 1787
    2. Delaware - 1787
    3. New Jersey - 1787
    4. Connecticut - 1788
    5. Massachusetts - 1788
    6. Maryland - 1788
    7. Virginia - 1788
    8. Quebec - 1788
    9. New Hampshire - 1788
    10. New York - 1788
    11. Nova Scotia - 1789
    12. Rhode Island - 1789
    13. Newfoundland - 1791
    14. Vermont - 1791
    15. Kentucky - 1792
    16. Ohio - 1803
    17. Ontario - 1809
    18. Wabash - 1814
    19. Maine - 1815
    20. Illinois - 1816
    21. Huron - 1820
    22. Michigan - 1830
    23. Missouri - 1836
    24. Mississippi - 1842
    25. Oregon - 1849
    26. California - 1849
    27. Minnesota - 1853

12. Zuvarq Pinche pendejo güey

Where'd you get that blank map?

EDIT: And very realistic states and borders on your map.

13. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Someone here turned me onto it, but I can't recall, goshdarnit.

Thank you, thank you very much.

14. DuQuense Commisioned Officer CSN

?I am wondering about state map jigsaw Puzzles ITTL?.

?Maybe a NA Map instead of just the US?.

15. Zuvarq Pinche pendejo güey

Well do you still have the blank version of the map?

16. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Sadly, no, it was accidently saved over - I've been trying to find the original online here - someone might know.

17. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

This is the 'closest' to the original that I still have.

Large DSA scrap 1840.PNG

18. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Oh, I think that the USA is big enough to warrant its own jigsaw puzzle. It's the DSA ones that are more likely to run to North American ones.

19. tubby.twins Well-Known Member

I found a version of the base map, but with OTL state/province borders.

large_base.png

20. Arachnid Arachnid once more.

Another interesting update. How is the settlement of the US west going, faster the OTL in the absence of the OTL South-West or slower without Southern settlers?