Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Keep them! Make it sort of the Mexican version of Sewards Folly - a seemingly useless and pricey endevour made purely for prestige that over time is revealed to have been wise beyond thier years. If sea traffic is anywhere near what it was OTL, if not higher due to what looks to be a slightly better off world, all three canals would be put into high usage well before, say, the OTL 1950s.

Possibly.

Also, with Japan balkanized and China stabalized, might that effect immigration to the USA? Maybe instead of OTL where the Chinese were the majority and Japanese the minority of asian immigrants, in the DSA-verse, we will see most of the USA's asian immigrants come from Japan with a smaller stream of Chinese immigrants.

In both regards, what do you think?

Hmmm, the Chinese get an early footing in the US - the Japanese may send more, but I think the Chinese still have the leg up.

Glen

The first part of the 19th century had seen the rise of liberalism, and by the middle of the century it seemed as if it would be the dominant philosophy guiding the development of societies in the world.

However, a new social system was proposed in the mid 19th century as a reaction to liberalism. Zeus Korsgaard (Zeus was a nom de plume, though Korsgaard was his family name) was a young firebrand whose political leanings caused him to leave his home in the Jutland Peninsula to find a more receptive audience in Prussia-Poland. In 1865, at the tender age of 20, Korsgaard wrote his seminal work, "In Defense of the State," which essentially laid out his counter to the more established liberalism of the West. He rejected liberalism's emphasis on the individual, insisting that it was only service to the state that could provide a stable society and coordinate the various segments of society. Korsgaard insisted that the entirety of history and all levels of society must be woven together into a mutually supportive whole that would culminate in the stable and prosperous state. He stated that tradition and history should be venerated and used to provide the foundation for the state, noting that each state had a unique history and tradition that established its identity. This tendency towards nostalgia and commemoratinig the past was perhaps a lingering trace of romanticism from the earlier part of the century which had served as a sort of cultural counter to the enlightenment. Korsgaard further endorsed the essential role of the ruler as the centerpoint for the state, citing the Prusso-Polish Kaiser and Russian Tsar as two examples of this principle. Korsgaard believed that family, class, industry, all must be fostered but also subservient to the state.

Zeus Korsgaard Portrait
portrait_gentalman_hecker.jpg

Oh my god, my cameo created Communism...

Way to go Glen, I was totally betting you'd make my cameo into the Mark Twain analouge. Way to catch me by suprise!

Oooh... I like this philosophy, Korsgaardism (it probably will get a better name alter I guess). It has an ominous feel to it. I wonder which states will emerge as Korsgaardist States.

Glen

The style revolution was inspired by the synthesis of rationalism and romanticism, leading to a move in the arts and fashion towards more functiona garments, drawing inspiration from the past but rejecting its more extreme indulgences. The real key to the fashion revolution, however, was the patronage of Empress Elizabeth II. The Young Empress of the British Empire rejected corseting and other restrictive and heavy fashion conventions in favor of clean lines, functionality, and a celebration of the natural body. Soon, salons across Europe and the Americas were filled with women embracing the loose and practical new fashion.

Bloomer.gif

A mid-19th century lady's touring garment, in part inspired by Asian styles of dress.

Symphony_in_white_1_whistler.jpg

Another style of the mid-19th dress of the time, note the simplicity of style and lack of corseting.

Glen

The name of the union of Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland was an open question in the first years of the union. Various versions of Sweden-Denmark and Denmark-Sweden were the most common, though Denmark-Sweden-Norway and other lengthy names were also seen in the first years. By 1864, however, the Act of Union was passed, doing for these nations much what similar legislation did for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, albeit with much more local autonomy and the retention of local state legislatures for the four constituent sections. In the end, the poetically inspired United Kingdoms of Scandinavia was chosen as the official post-Act of Union name. Scandinavia was a somewhat obscure reference to the region until the popular poem and later song, Jeg er en Skandinav (I am a Scandinavian), by Hans Christian Andersen. Mr. Andersen had close ties to the Danish royal family since childhood, and was an ardent unionist. Jeg er en Skandinav went on to become the national anthem of the Union.

Andersen, ardent Scandinavian
Constantin_Hansen_1836_-_HC_Andersen.jpg

Not quite, but....

Hope you enjoyed it. Hey, at least your cameo involved writing something....:)

What would you compare it to OTL-wise? It seems oddly original..

True... and my last name is now rendered immortal. It does look like my great-great-great-grandfather had a hand in uniting Scandinavia (family lore suggests that we're illigetimately decended from Hans Christian Anderson).