Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Great post on this TL Judaism.

Is there any Israel or Zionist movement here? Maybe lacking that, any regions of the USA or DSA that have heavy Jewish settlement?

Glen

Great post on this TL Judaism.

Is there any Israel or Zionist movement here? Maybe lacking that, any regions of the USA or DSA that have heavy Jewish settlement?

That movement was associated with Korsgaardism and flamed out after the Global War.

Most of the areas of heavy Jewish settlement are parallel to OTL areas - mostly New York and New Jersey for the USA and South Carolina, East Florida, Cuba, and the Virgin Islands for the DSA by this point in the timeline. Sephardic Jews in the DSA are very assimilated (with the exception of recent refugees from the Ottoman Empire though they are working very hard to change that - and adding some fabulous restaurants to the fertile DSA food scene) and don't really feel the need for a homeland other than nostalgia. Deist Jews in the USA also are very assimilated and don't have a very strong sense of a homeland. Traditionalist Jews such as the Hassidic Jews in the USA are insular and do face some prejudice (though not really outright discrimination) and they would very much welcome a homeland though no one actually believes it is going to happen at this point in history.

Glen

The Age of Amp was catalyzed by the discovery of electrical amplification of signals pioneered with vacuum pipe tripoles but made practical with the development of the more sturdy and less heat intense Crystal Tripole. These allowed for the invention of the electric guitar, at first meant to provide a loud enough guitar to compete with the big band of Backbeat but once invented, quickly spread to be used in many types of Southron music. Amplified music allowed for smaller groups to still provide a big, driving sound needed for merengay style dance. Amp music in the early days was simultaneously both more brash and more intimate than Backbeat though a clear lineal descendant of that style of music. Soon the wail of Amp driven by the electric guitar swept through the world stage, once again showing the influence the jambalaya of Southron Culture had on the world stage.

Guitar-clip-art-5.jpg

Glen

An early Star of Amp was Mansell White, called the Velvet Voice. A young Mansell burst onto the Southron music scene in the late 1940s. Born in western Indiana Province his family were part of the Cherokee tribe, but young Manselll found himself as a child greatly influenced by long wave widespreads of Negro Backbeat out of the Louisiana Province and traveling folk music out of the mountains of Carleton. His handsome visage and incredible vocal range would raise the poplularity of the new Amp sound to new heights. Mansell White eventually moved to San Diego in the Province of Albion to become a Kinee and Kinetovision star, making him one of the biggest celebrities of the mid 20th century.

elvis_presley-jpg.304066

It will be interesting to see the effects of a Northern United States music without the influences of Southern or Black music being so strong.

I finally finished the map I mentioned a few pages back, and since you requested I'll post it here for you to see Glen. It's especially appropriate since it seems people were talking about alternate histories inside alternate histories a few days ago.

a_tale_of_two_countries_by_moxn-dawebtf.png

I got the Meridian flag from here with the creator's permission. I also wrote a few notes on it on the page here. Let me know what you think :)

Glen

I finally finished the map I mentioned a few pages back, and since you requested I'll post it here for you to see Glen. It's especially appropriate since it seems people were talking about alternate histories inside alternate histories a few days ago.

EDIT

I got the Meridian flag from here with the creator's permission. I also wrote a few notes on it on the page here. Let me know what you think :)

Fun - I would be curious to know how the Dominion of Meridia ends up encompassing all of Mexico. I know it's an awesome flag, but given the clear early divergence, I'd probably recommend using a different flag for Meridia since that one reflects perhaps too much parallel development. Nice job!

Glen

640px-Vi%C3%B1edoCafayate.jpg

The 20th Century saw the rise of quality wine production beyond Europe. While South Africa was an early innovator, a series of blights in the last half of the 19th century retarded development in that region. Cuttings from South America had been transported to the British Australias prior to that calamity, and British Australia would go on to become the premiere wine producer in the British Empire (though South Africa would gradually emerge as a secondary region after the Population War). Another early site of wine production outside of Europe, and one considered by many experts to now be the best in the world, was Britain's ally the United Provinces of South America. The UPSA would become especially known for their Malbecs. The late bloomer on the world wine stage was the United States of America. Classic wines of all sorts would be produced in large quantities and ever increasing quality in the Pacific West states of California, Oregon, and MacKenzie. New York would be well known for its white wines of the Finger Lakes region, a popular day trip for those who lived and worked in nearby Washington, DC on the Hudson. Ice Wines came to be produced in abundance in Huron, Ontario, New York, and to a lesser degree Quebec and Nova Scotia. By the mid 20th Century wine enthusiasts had a world of choices to enjoy.

640px-Vi%C3%B1edoCafayate.jpg

The 20th Century saw the rise of quality wine production beyond Europe. While South Africa was an early innovator, a series of blights in the last half of the 19th century retarded development in that region. Cuttings from South America had been transported to the British Australias prior to that calamity, and British Australia would go on to become the premiere wine producer in the British Empire (though South Africa would gradually emerge as a secondary region after the Population War). Another early site of wine production outside of Europe, and one considered by many experts to now be the best in the world, was Britain's ally the United Provinces of South America. The UPSA would become especially known for their Malbecs. The late bloomer on the world wine stage was the United States of America. Classic wines of all sorts would be produced in large quantities and ever increasing quality in the Pacific West states of California, Oregon, and MacKenzie. New York would be well known for its white wines of the Finger Lakes region, a popular day trip for those who lived and worked in nearby Washington, DC on the Hudson. Ice Wines came to be produced in abundance in Huron, Ontario, New York, and to a lesser degree Quebec and Nova Scotia. By the mid 20th Century wine enthusiasts had a world of choices to enjoy.

Virginia may also be home to a good part of the American wine industry - while our modern one is booming, pre-prohibition, we had viticulutre dating back to Jefferson.

Another good booze post might be the rivalry between American bourbon and Dominion Whiskey

Glen

Virginia may also be home to a good part of the American wine industry - while our modern one is booming, pre-prohibition, we had viticulutre dating back to Jefferson.

Another good booze post might be the rivalry between American bourbon and Dominion Whiskey

Oh I'm sure they have some in Virginia, but it won't be one of the big places I suspect.

I have had previous posts on the Bourbon/Whiskey wars.:openedeyewink:

Glen

Nice to see American wine production doing better- prohibition really kicked its ass IOTL.
Yeah prohibition was never a thing in this timeline so all of the alcohol industry is more developed in what would've been the our timeline USA. This means that the styles of wine in the California area will tend to be a little dryer and less sweet than our timeline.