Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

The Federalists were trounced in the midterm congressional elections of 1882 and again in the elections of 1884. The Democrats blamed overspending and stifling tarriffs for the continuation of the economic disaster, and sought to remove the gold standard. Thus the Democratic candidate, Erastus R. Bingham won office which he assumed in 1885. President Bingham was the first president to make his home west of the Mississippi, in Washington, though his family hailed from Vermont originally. However, the economic policies of the Democrats and the Bingham administration did nothing to restore confidence to the marketplace, and the midterm congressional election saw great losses for the Democrats this time. Bingham would serve one term only, and stated he was glad of it, never traveling east of the Mississippi again after his term in office.
Erastus%20Bingham%20large.jpg

Hmm, do we just have a low correlation between readers of the DSA and TV Tropes?

I think the main reasons people (and that includes me) don't comment on this is simple: Either there is a lack of knowledge about specific tropes (both A LOT to work with and so. MANY. different, specific tropes!) or the fact that people just like to add tropes when they stumble across the timeline on TV Tropes (if that wording makes sense).

I think the main reasons people (and that includes me) don't comment on this is simple: Either there is a lack of knowledge about specific tropes (both A LOT to work with and so. MANY. different, specific tropes!) or the fact that people just like to add tropes when they stumble across the timeline on TV Tropes (if that wording makes sense).

Bingo. While I'm pretty sure a lot of us will be happy to add in tropes once the ball gets rolling, this timeline has a lot to put in from the get-go.

How about…

Shout Out: Great Britain's wartime prime minister is Arthur Wellesley Lovecraft… and denounces the Korsgaardist regimes for their "dehumanization in favor of the cyclopean state."

President Erastus R. Bingham

Ha!-snort :D

didn't see that one coming

Bingham was the first president to make his home west of the Mississippi
which is awesome!

never traveling east of the Mississippi again after his term in office
And he's a true westerner to boot! :D:D

(also, on a different note: didn't you some time ago ask about different vacation destinations for TTL USA? if so and you're still interested I know a great one.)

Glen

I think the main reasons people (and that includes me) don't comment on this is simple: Either there is a lack of knowledge about specific tropes (both A LOT to work with and so. MANY. different, specific tropes!)

Search function helps.

or the fact that people just like to add tropes when they stumble across the timeline on TV Tropes (if that wording makes sense).

That's a point, but we do need to have some basics I think before creating the page, something for people to add on to.

Glen

How about…

Shout Out: Great Britain's wartime prime minister is Arthur Wellesley Lovecraft… and denounces the Korsgaardist regimes for their "dehumanization in favor of the cyclopean state."

Good example! The DSA timeline is full of various types of Shout Out, sometimes bordering on Reference Overdosed. We have examples of Homage in the Speculative Fiction post (with TTL's AH of LTTW, Course of Human Events, etc.).

Glen

Ha!-snort :D

didn't see that one coming

which is awesome!

And he's a true westerner to boot! :D:D

He just sounded like a 19th century politician! I take it you are happy with your cameo? ;)

(also, on a different note: didn't you some time ago ask about different vacation destinations for TTL USA? if so and you're still interested I know a great one.)

Let's hear about it, please!

Divided States of America and Expanded States of America - the first since the starting point is that several of the states that would have formed the USA, doesn't, while the later since the USA ends up including several states it didn't hold in OTL.

Glen

Divided States of America and Expanded States of America - the first since the starting point is that several of the states that would have formed the USA, doesn't, while the later since the USA ends up including several states it didn't hold in OTL.

Absolutely, LordInsane, absolutely!

Glen

After Alaska is purchased from Russia by the United States, "There goes the continent." It ain't much but there you go.

Every bit helps, my friend, and is appreciated. I can't find a "There Goes the Continent" trope - is it perhaps by some other name?

Glen

I think we could justify both Zeppelins from Another World and Cool Airship for the Dirigibles developed in the end of the 19th century in general and the Orcas specifically. Also can do Cool Train for our coverage of Armored Trains in the Global War.