Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

More about the United States of China. Do they have the sort of problems the Nationalists had IOTL, or are they doing better? And are they catching up technologically?

Glen

More about the United States of China. Do they have the sort of problems the Nationalists had IOTL, or are they doing better? And are they catching up technologically?

Will do - I will confirm that they are nothing like the Nationalists and are not having nearly as much or the same problems as the Nationalists did OTL. Tech is catching up in both Chinas.

(very good work up to now, this is some of the best reading to be had.)

What would I still like to see before we reach 1900?...

Hopefully it's not too wierd of a request, but I at least would be interested to see a post covering the general nature of international trade/political relations at the end of the century.

this would be different than who is allied to whom, that's very clear already, this would be like who thinks what of whom and how does that effect their relations, who is a favored buisness partner of whom, who are the most prominent producers of which major products and materials (if that's different than OTL, like I seem to remember seeing significantly different agricultural focuses in the dominion), also maybe some on the major comanies and brands in this world. (though maybe not all of those as that seems like potentially a lot of work)

and, are you still accepting applications for 20th century cameos?

Glen

During the Napleonic age, Napoleon spread nationalism, but also emancipated the Jews across Europe. Even after Napoleon’s death, nationalism grew, but this resulted in a return to repression of Jews to some degree. The exception to this was in France itself where the French Emperor retained these reforms. However, Western Europe saw the pendulum swing back in favor of Jewish rights with the Revolutions and the Liberal War. Jews in Europe played large roles in the liberal, nationalistic movements of the time, particularly in what would become the Empire of Germany.

After the Liberal War, many Jews in the east sought to migrate to the West or even America, as the increasingly conservative regimes in Eastern Europe began to associate Jews with liberalism and the threat of loss of any of the gains they had during the Enlightenment. Especially endangered were the Jews in the former Polish lands and the Pale of Settlement under the rule of the Tsars of Russia. Jews and Poles worked against the efforts of the Russian imperium to crush Polish nationalism and liberal movements. While the Poles embrassed the change of regime to the Hollenzollern dynasty and were reciprocated in kind by the attention the Hollenzollerns paid to Polish sensibilities, so long as they served the crown and the state, Jews were somewhat skeptical of the new Prussia-Poland regime. While the Hollenzollerns had learned their lesson in terms of balancing the needs of Protestants and Catholics in their realms, and the two main languages of German and Polish, especially under the doctrines of Korsgaardianism, they saw little reason to curry to the Jews of the nation, even though they were the third largest ethnicity within Prussia-Poland. It should be noted that even within the increasingly repressive climate of Prussia-Poland, there were still pathways for advancement for Jews, but only at the cost of their identity, by embracing Prussian, or at least Polish language and culture, even Christianity. For those Jews willing to assimilate to the new Prussia-Poland standards, and especially if they dedicated themselves to service to the state and its embodiment of the crown, there was very little in the way of persecution. However, those who clung to their own ways, their own identity, and worse, to the principles of liberalism, found life hard and increasingly dangerous in Prussia-Poland. Things went similarly in Austria-Hungary as it too succumbed to the allure of Korsgaardism and became paranoid about liberal contamination from Germany to the West. Russia was perhaps the worst of the nations with regards to conditions for the Jews.

In the thriving new nation of Germany, Jews were enjoying new rights and new prosperity, such as their French counterparts had started to do earlier in the century. While the boisterous new nation forged from many old lands had a great deal of diversity between its component parts, a sense of 'German-ness' was emerging, and emerging by it's side was a Jewish-German symbiosis, where German Jews had merged elements of German and Jewish culture into a unique new one.

In the United States, there was a burst of increased immigration of Jews from Eastern Europe as they sought newer opportunities and freedom from persecution. While some chose to migrate to the liberal Western nations in Europe, others feared that the pendulum would eventually swing back to the old prejudices in this ancient land, and hoped that in the New World there would be a chance at real change. By and large, they were right. In the United States, those who would embrace democracy and work hard found opportunity opened in the labor hungry nation.

Another place that Jews sought new opportunities was in the reforming Ottoman Empire. As the Ottomans sought to integrate the ancient regime with liberal sensibilities of their Western allies. Jews from Russia and Austria-Hungary sometimes found their way into the European and Anatolian parts of the Ottoman Empire, or even all the way to storied Jerusalem. While perhaps not as open as the Western powers and America, the Ottoman Empire was a relative haven in increasingly harsh times in Korsgaardian Eastern Europe.

A grand synagogue in Nuremberg, Empire of Germany
640px-Nurembergsynagoguec.jpg

Glen

(very good work up to now, this is some of the best reading to be had.)

Thank you kindly!

What would I still like to see before we reach 1900?...

Hopefully it's not too wierd of a request, but I at least would be interested to see a post covering the general nature of international trade/political relations at the end of the century.

That is not wierd.

this would be different than who is allied to whom, that's very clear already, this would be like who thinks what of whom and how does that effect their relations, who is a favored buisness partner of whom, who are the most prominent producers of which major products and materials (if that's different than OTL, like I seem to remember seeing significantly different agricultural focuses in the dominion), also maybe some on the major comanies and brands in this world. (though maybe not all of those as that seems like potentially a lot of work)

Okay, I'll see what I can do.

and, are you still accepting applications for 20th century cameos?

Or even for the 19th century! Just post your info in Your Name in the Dominion of Southern America.

Glen

Friedrich_Karl_HK_02.jpg

One of the great German generals of the Global War was Nils Nicolai. General Nicolai was born in the Electorate of Hesse-Kassel. His father was a Hessian of the same family that produced Philipp Nicolai the prominant Hessian Lutheran pastor and by some accounts the last of the Meistersingers. His mother was of Scandinavian ancestry (thus his first name, a play on his last). Nils as a young man joined other students in their protests against the arbitrary rule of the Electors, which eventually turned into a revolution against their hereditory rule and the formation of a liberal republican form of government for the Electorate, that somewhat ironically kept that title of Electorate and Elector for their now elected government and head of state. Nils Nicolai enlisted in the Electorate's military and saw some limited fighting during the Liberal War. He decided to make a career of it in the Hessian branch of the Empire of Germany's army. He showed great promise, and even in peacetime rose to high rank. He was placed in charge of the defense of the capital during the invasion by Prussia-Poland in the Global War, and managed to hold them to a standstill, and then led the German armies in the counter-invasion and occupation of Brandenberg. Nils Nicolai was quite popular after the war, and would go on to be elected Elector of Hesse-Kassel.

Fascinating insight on how some of the German states work and freakin' sweet cameo of mine. So basically I am the TTL's equivalent of the cliché ATL Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck ;) (though with less political power, but more a more classic military career).

Furthermore I think I should go deeper into my genealogy to find out whenether or not I actually have a connect with Phillip.

Glen,

How do the internal politics of the German Empire work? Is it more of a Confederation seeing how Hesse-Kassle keeps their own rulers?

Glen

Fascinating insight on how some of the German states work and freakin' sweet cameo of mine. So basically I am the TTL's equivalent of the cliché ATL Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck ;) (though with less political power, but more a more classic military career).

Furthermore I think I should go deeper into my genealogy to find out whenether or not I actually have a connect with Phillip.

I suppose you could look at it that way though Molte might be closer in some respects. Your Hessian roots did inspire me, true, and I wanted to give your cameo personae some roots there. Philipp seemed quite cool so I ran with it - and who knows, it is not a common name so you could be related! When I saw the Electors were eccentric enough to keep the name Elector but capricious in their rule I thought how amusing if a democratic revolution tossed them out but kept the Elector name.

Glen

Glen,

How do the internal politics of the German Empire work? Is it more of a Confederation seeing how Hesse-Kassle keeps their own rulers?

A confederated empire in a sense. There are both republics and kingdoms within the German Empire, with a variety of differing laws and customs, though they can't contradict the imperial constitution, and even the kingdoms are operating under democratic constitutions and institutions (the kings and dukes that wiuldn't found their lands converted to republics one way or another). The Global War brings more homogenization to the armed forces than existed prior to it, and will start a trend towards more centralization but nothing like IOTL.

A confederated empire in a sense. There are both republics and kingdoms within the German Empire, with a variety of differing laws and customs, though they can't contradict the imperial constitution, and even the kingdoms are operating under democratic constitutions and institutions (the kings and dukes that wiuldn't found their lands converted to republics one way or another). The Global War brings more homogenization to the armed forces than existed prior to it, and will start a trend towards more centralization but nothing like IOTL.

I realize that it may not be possible in German, but is there any way we can end up with the Global War doing the same thing to Germany that the Civil War did to the United States in regards to singular/plural? (Before the war "Germany are" after the war "Germany is"?

(This may not be possible in any language more structured than English, which probably covers every language on the planet)

Glen

I realize that it may not be possible in German, but is there any way we can end up with the Global War doing the same thing to Germany that the Civil War did to the United States in regards to singular/plural? (Before the war "Germany are" after the war "Germany is"?

(This may not be possible in any language more structured than English, which probably covers every language on the planet)

We won't see it linguistically, but we do see this start during the Liberal War and really gain trction during the Global War in terms of Zeitgiest.