Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Glen, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

And our slow creep towards a dark horse victory continues - we are now only SEVEN votes behind LTTW!!!

2. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Well thanks for commenting now!

Well, gosh....

Oh, I shall....

benjamin says so.png

3. benjamin In an ALT...I'm Spartacus!

Nice. That was the exact political add I was alluding to. We watched that thing so many times in my Political Thought and Theory class a Penn State that I wanted to drop a bomb my self on that darn kid.

"I said no picking the damn flowers, you obnoxious little brat!! Oh yeah, and vote for the Dominion of Southern America!"

Slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb_enh-lo.jpg

4. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Nice, very nice! Dr. Strangelove is the perfect riposte!

5. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Unbelievable! We are now but a mere FIVE VOTES behind the venerable Look To The West!! This is possible, we could take this!!! Quick, get your neighbors, your acquaintences, your accountants even to vote!:D

6. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

AND NOW WE ARE ONLY 3 votes behind!:eek::D:cool:

7. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

In other breaking news, we have just surpassed "Fight and Be Right!" in number of views to become the fourth most viewed thread in Before 1900! Thank you one and all, my dear readers!!!

8. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

We are now only two voted behind LTTW! Get your mailman your dogcatcher heck even your mother-in-law to vote DSA!! We can do it!!!

9. teg The Worst Unionist

There is such a thing as going too far Glen.:mad: And I speak as someone who has voted for this timeline...

10. Lycaon pictus Author of "Locksmith's Closet" Donor

FYI, as of now you're two votes ahead. (Mine was one.)

11. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Darn! Missed that glowing moment!! Thank you for capturing it for us!!!

BUT AS OF RIGHT NOW, WE ARE TIED WITH LTTW!!!!

That is almost as great an honor as winning itself.:)

12. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

That is a very astute question. It does develop into a wider part of the war.

13. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Thank you and welcome to DSA country!

14. SpazzReflex Induce vomiting if contacted

Glen! You're one ahead of LTTW! GO DSA!

15. Beedok I exist.

Thank you for the warm welcome despite the competition in the Turtledoves. (I'm totally still in te race! You never know.:p)

16. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

While the Western Powers generally had better intelligence in Europe, in South America they had failed to appreciate the threat to their supply lines and the seduction of New Granada and Brazil into the Korsgaardian sphere of influence. Within days of the New Granada initiation of hostilities, it became apparent that Brazil too was waging war against the United Provinces of South America.

New Granada advanced primarily in the Winter of 1889-90 along the Pacific Coast of the UPSA, with the bulk of their attack being by sea. This was a surprise to most as New Granada had never been known as a naval power. Granted, the UPSA itself only had a modest navy though larger than New Granada prior to the war. Interestingly, both were outfitted mostly with British surplus ships, with one important exception. New Granada at the eleventh hour was 'leased' several Shark Boats from Mexico with 'volunteer' crews. Most nations in South America had relied on the British to keep the peace on the naval front, but with the Royal Navy otherwise preoccupied across the globe and the surpise success of the Shark Boat and their self propelled naval mines, Sharks, the navy of New Granada was able to gain superiority over the local naval forces of the UPSA.

The Brazilians had been sullen over the victories of the UPSA and the loss of Rio Grande do Sul for generations, thus in one sense it was no surprise when they leapt at the chance for revenge. The Brazilians launched a main campaign to invade Rio Grande do Sul and cut it off from UPSA support, which would also place them within striking distance of the UPSA capital. While this effort in itself supported Brazilian war aims, it also served to hold down the majority of the USPA's military on the Atlantic Coast, just when their troops were needed on the Pacific coast. The Brazilians also sent a small overland force to support the New Granada effort to seize the Atacama Desert for its vital nitrites, though this was by and large a sideshow for the main event in South America. The Brazilians who did not have the Shark Boats of Mexico was unable to control the coast, though they did manage to keep occupied the UPSA's Atlantic Navy. Again, the two fleets were primarily composed of British surplus, pitting older models of British ships against one another.

South America Global War.png

17. Nugax talks in diagrams

Hahahahahahahahaahaha, sent them to their deaths you mean?

18. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

One might think....

19. Glen ASB & Left Hand of IAN Moderator

Thank you both for your support, as well as the silent majority out there who have been supporting this timeline!:D

20. thekingsguard Founder of Korsgaardianism

And the Korsgaardists advance in South America :D