Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Actually, there are more and better corn whiskeys ITTL - and there will be no Prohibition interregnum...

Which at the least, would preserve both American beer culture and American wine growth - New York and Virginia both had famed wine country, especially Virginia, which was until prohibition, on it's way to being the California of the East Coast. It took until the last couple decades for it to recover - ITTL, Virginia may have world class wineries :D

Glen

Which at the least, would preserve both American beer culture and American wine growth - New York and Virginia both had famed wine country, especially Virginia, which was until prohibition, on it's way to being the California of the East Coast. It took until the last couple decades for it to recover - ITTL, Virginia may have world class wineries :D

Interesting, very interesting....

Glen

The Dominion of Southern America used the Red Ensign as its national flag throughout the 19th century. Sometimes it was used alone, and sometimes with the seal of the Governor General. However, by the 1920s it was felt that the Dominion needed a flag more distinct to its own identity. Early attempts focused on incorporating the unofficial symbol of the nation, the Loyalist Coronet, into the design.

1920s DSA Flag.png

About the only change I'd make is maybe put in a Cypress tree or Magnolia blossom next to or under the Coronet (absolutely not on top of it, of course), but that's just me. Other than that I like the design :).

EDIT: Argh, ninja'd by the OP.

Glen

About the only change I'd make is maybe put in a Cypress tree or Magnolia blossom next to or under the Coronet (absolutely not on top of it, of course), but that's just me. Other than that I like the design :).

I'd love to see a mock-up.

I got this a while back from VT45 during a Commonwealth-wank discussion, albeit slightly modified. I had too much trouble trying to re-draw the Palm fronds below a Coronet, but here's something to start with at least (sorry if it's too big :eek:)

DSAFlagCand.png

The Dominion of Southern America used the Red Ensign as its national flag throughout the 19th century. Sometimes it was used alone, and sometimes with the seal of the Governor General. However, by the 1920s it was felt that the Dominion needed a flag more distinct to its own identity. Early attempts focused on incorporating the unofficial symbol of the nation, the Loyalist Coronet, into the design.

A bit expected. But I wonder if there will be an effort later on to create a different national flag as Canada did in OTL. Maybe

Glen

Sounds good.

Thank you - fit in the Loyalist Coronet with a palm frond theme intead of maple leaf, and maybe go something like the coat of arms that Canada eventually sported (with the shield having the three English lions, the Scottish rampant lion, the Irish harp, the Welsh St. David's Cross (or Tudor dragon) and the Bourbon Cross (representing all the lands that formerly were Spanish, ala the fleur de lis on the Canadian one)).

I'm surprised by the flag of the DSA given the multiple potential relevances of something like the flag of Alabama in our timeline to the South in our timeline as well as arguably in this one.