Does Your Conscience Bother You?- A George Wallace Victory TL

1972 and 1974 Congressional Maps
Hello all! I realized that there was some desire for some down-ballot election results, so I'm going to start putting those together. For now, I've assembled Senate maps and some brief explanations of the results for the divergences from OTL.

Senate 1972:

1972 senate redux.png
As you may notice, this is almost exactly the same as OTL. The only divergence on the Senate level in 1972 is in Nebraska, where Terry Carpenter, a conservative Democrat, defeated Carl Curtis, the Republican incumbent. Locally, Curtis drew a great deal of criticism due to his pro-war stance in light of the Miami bloodbath. Wallace's national campaign also boosted Carpenter, finding the man to be a useful ally in the conservative Democrat camp.

Senate 1974:
1974 senate.png

In Missouri, due to his relationship with the catastrophic 1972 McGovern campaign, Eagleton loses his seat to the Lincolnian pro-Civil Rights Republican candidate, Thomas B. Curtis. The presence of the states-rights Wallace in the White House also pushed more liberally minded Missourians toward Curtis and away from the Democrats. In Ohio, because there is no Saturday Night Massacre, the Republican William B. Saxbe does not become the Attorney General, retaining his seat and winning reelection. In South Dakota, McGovern loses to his Republican challenger, Leo K. Thorsness. Thorsness' status as a Vietnam POW, the lack of a Watergate to propel McGovern's reelection, and the general feeling that McGovern was uninterested in South Dakotan citizens led to a Republican victory in South Dakota. In Vermont, the liberal Republican Richard W. Mallary defeated the Democratic challenger, Patrick Leahy. The historic role of the Republican party in Vermont, along with rising liberal sentiments in the Republican party, kept the seat in the hands of the Republicans.

That's all for today! Feel free to give any thoughts, criticisms or musings on these! I plan on doing some for the House when I get a chance.

Hello all! I realized that there was some desire for some down-ballot election results, so I'm going to start putting those together. For now, I've assembled Senate maps and some brief explanations of the results for the divergences from OTL.

Senate 1972:

View attachment 743272As you may notice, this is almost exactly the same as OTL. The only divergence on the Senate level in 1972 is in Nebraska, where Terry Carpenter, a conservative Democrat, defeated Carl Curtis, the Republican incumbent. Locally, Curtis drew a great deal of criticism due to his pro-war stance in light of the Miami bloodbath. Wallace's national campaign also boosted Carpenter, finding the man to be a useful ally in the conservative Democrat camp.

Senate 1974:
View attachment 743277
In Missouri, due to his relationship with the catastrophic 1972 McGovern campaign, Eagleton loses his seat to the Lincolnian pro-Civil Rights Republican candidate, Thomas B. Curtis. The presence of the states-rights Wallace in the White House also pushed more liberally minded Missourians toward Curtis and away from the Democrats. In Ohio, because there is no Saturday Night Massacre, the Republican William B. Saxbe does not become the Attorney General, retaining his seat and winning reelection. In South Dakota, McGovern loses to his Republican challenger, Leo K. Thorsness. Thorsness' status as a Vietnam POW, the lack of a Watergate to propel McGovern's reelection, and the general feeling that McGovern was uninterested in South Dakotan citizens led to a Republican victory in South Dakota. In Vermont, the liberal Republican Richard W. Mallary defeated the Democratic challenger, Patrick Leahy. The historic role of the Republican party in Vermont, along with rising liberal sentiments in the Republican party, kept the seat in the hands of the Republicans.

That's all for today! Feel free to give any thoughts, criticisms or musings on these! I plan on doing some for the House when I get a chance.
If the Democrats had a net gain of 2 Senate seats in 1974, where were those gains?

Ngl, I really doubt the Israelis would invade on Yom Kippur, like wtf. That's not even considering the cold War political proxy stuff in regards to the Middle East with the US not supporting their main ally in the area.

Ngl, I really doubt the Israelis would invade on Yom Kippur, like wtf. That's not even considering the cold War political proxy stuff in regards to the Middle East with the US not supporting their main ally in the area.
Kissinger was a really big force in preventing an Israeli preemption in the hours leading up to the initial Arab invasion. It's not out of the realm of possibility, especially with the anti-Israel Fulbright in Kissinger's place. Plus, there were a number of people, including the head of the IDF, who called for a preemptive strike just before the war kicked off. OTL Fulbright was a huge Israel skeptic and wanted to use issues like Palestine to bring the Arabs away from the Soviet bloc. The idea of Israel as the closest US ally was not a settled issue in Fulbright's mind

@Kolibri I think it is realistic, you make me think that Wallace had a chance of becoming president... an essentially dark horse (rightfully) disliked by many.

If this alternate history was a videogame, George Wallace would be the perfect "debuff" for the United States.