Does the absence of 9/11 really change anything significant?

Does the absence of 9/11 change anything significant?

• Yes

Votes: 216 85.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Debatable

Votes: 34 13.4%

• Total voters

hammo1j

Donor
Probably the GWB reaction causes more problems than the attack itself.

If he had stuck to neutralising the terrorists behind the attack in Afganistan then it would have been over rather quickly.

Saddam was a bastard, but our societies were ruled by bastards back in the day. What was GWB motive to take him out.

The Syrian refugee crisis was the catalyst for Brexit. The GWB reaction suggested that everybody was a fan of openness and democracy which is nonsense. Even people in democracies in the most don't believe that. Its only the suspicion of anything else that keeps it together.

The question is where the POD is for 9/11 not to happen.
Is the 9/11 plot exposed / foiled? Is Al-Qaida weakened / destroyed?
Prior to 9/11 plots were carried out (embassy bombings, USS Cole) and some happened after 9/11 too (London bus, Spanish trains). Wiping out 9/11 does not solve the terror issue. Some other plot would still be probably attempted against the US.
I would go with Bin Laden never becoming interested in terrorism.

The question is where the POD is for 9/11 not to happen.
Is the 9/11 plot exposed / foiled? Is Al-Qaida weakened / destroyed?
Prior to 9/11 plots were carried out (embassy bombings, USS Cole) and some happened after 9/11 too (London bus, Spanish trains). Wiping out 9/11 does not solve the terror issue. Some other plot would still be probably attempted against the US.

My point of divergence is that Coleen Rowley, a FBI special agent operating in the Minneapolis, Minnesota Field Office, is taken more seriously and Zacarias Massoui is put on a terrorist watchlist by the FBI after his arrest in August 2001 (Yes, he was arrested ONE MONTH before 9/11, for acting suspiciously at a flight school, no less) and he unknowingly leads the FBI to arrest the hijackers before the attack can take place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleen_Rowley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zacarias_Moussaoui

I think there's a chance the Iraq War still happens. There was significant bipartisan support for doing something about Saddam and his (nonexistent) WMDs. Though without widespread paranoia about terrorism, it will probably be much less popular than OTL's war was.

In the long run, 9/11 doesn't seem to have had that much impact on popular culture, with other issues and events overshadowing it. For most Americans (especially Generation Z, whose members have no memory of the attacks) it's just some bad thing that happened in the past, like the Kennedy assassination. Sure people will agree that terrorism is bad, but most won't care about what happened on a warm Tuesday morning in September 2001.
For most Americans, "doing something" entailed continuing Clinton's sanctions and blockade. Without the War on Terror narrative there would be far less impetus for a full-scale invasion.

No war in Iraq or Afghanistan. Without 911 America reverting back to isolation at least militarily isn’t unlikely. After the end of the Cold War and USSR many Americans started heavily questioning the need for troops and involvement in overseas places. 911 stirred up hawkish feelings and created a new threat in the minds of Americans. The attack seemed so random and insane it shocked Americans. The idea of religious extremist from the other side of the world coming here to hijack and run planes into our towers full of civilians just because they were offended by our presence in the Middle East seem totally crazy and against logic to most Americans. Honestly the insanity of the attack is what I think leads to a lot of angry responses by Americans after the attack.

Without 911 you can’t have a war with Iraq. In the blindness of their outrage in the aftermath of 911 much of the US public saw that whole region of the Middle East as terrorist supporters. Many Americans at the time thought the US invaded Iraq because Saddam was supporting Islamist terrorist. They didn’t realize Saddam actually fought against them a lot. You will be surprised by how many Americans even among the right will admit Iraq invasion of a big mistake. Some Americans will even say “Saddam was a cruel dictator but at least he kept the people in that country under control and killed religious fanatics”. I hear statements like that from conservatives. Before 912 most Americans viewed Islam the same as Hindu. A strange foreign religion they knew little about but didn’t care either way for. 911 would lead to many Americans viewing Islam in a negative light. Without 911 or something like it a actual invasion of the Middle East would lack public support. Bush Sr got lucky with the first Gulf War. That could have easily lead to more domestic public opposition given the slightest mistake is made. Much of the American public after 911 could be convinced to invade almost any country in the Middle East. Honestly, places like Saudi and Iran would have been an easier sell to the American public over Iraq. The US government response to 911 was probably more rational then what many within the American public wanted. Unlike the government, the American public historically cares very little about what’s going on overseas and with foreign people until they bring the issue to them which Americans usually answer with a very hostile response.

America without 911 and its after effects would be more focused on domestic and regional issues. If something like Venezuela was happening in a pod I would say US military response would be more likely. Most military actions would be the US using its navy and Air Force to strike targets like terrorist and partisans. You will still see the occasional special force missions but much less then otl. Think of the US military in the 90s. US foreign policy would probably be more focused on the Western Hemisphere and the Far East especially with China becoming a rising opposing power.

Politically, I see America shifting centralist. The social and religious right will have less support and power without 911 which they used as a major rallying point but this probably means a more moderate left too. The segments of the Democratic Party only shifted more left due to issues tied with the aftermath of 911. More Bill and Biden types instead of Cortez or Warren. Democrats would still be liberal socially but much more moderate to right economically. Social issues are likely to be address faster and not sidelined by the war. I will say social reform might be done more quickly then otl but the way it is introduced could be much more subtle. For example, a bill about economic regulations also includes a rider that gets rid of regulations on plan parenthood. For republicans I could see a shift towards social liberalism while still staying right economically and hawkish on foreign policy.

I don't agree the Republicans would shift into being socially liberal. Strategically alienating conservative voters a huge proportion of their voting bloc would be suicidal.

No September 11 2001 attacks mean no attacks on Iraq and in the long runt it means no arab spring and less migration to Europe. Saddam or one of his sons rule Iraq with a iron fist. No highjackings in 2001 means that the Airport security is less enforced. No Arab spring means no IS and no attacks around Europe.

No September 11 2001 attacks mean no attacks on Iraq and in the long runt it means no arab spring and less migration to Europe. Saddam or one of his sons rule Iraq with a iron fist. No highjackings in 2001 means that the Airport security is less enforced. No Arab spring means no IS and no attacks around Europe.

Why would there be no Arab Spring?

My point of divergence is that Coleen Rowley, a FBI special agent operating in the Minneapolis, Minnesota Field Office, is taken more seriously and Zacarias Massoui is put on a terrorist watchlist by the FBI after his arrest in August 2001 (Yes, he was arrested ONE MONTH before 9/11, for acting suspiciously at a flight school, no less) and he unknowingly leads the FBI to arrest the hijackers before the attack can take place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleen_Rowley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zacarias_Moussaoui

Good. Now the question is:
a) Can the arrest of Massaoui lead to the arrest of all hijackers and completely foil the entire plot? Or will a "smaller" version of 9/11 still happen?=
b) Will the FBI find out what the plan was and how close it was to be carried out?

a) Can the arrest of Massaoui lead to the arrest of all hijackers and completely foil the entire plot? Or will a "smaller" version of 9/11 still happen?=
b) Will the FBI find out what the plan was and how close it was to be carried out?

Both questions depend on how hard the FBI squeezes Massoui. Since this was before 9/11, I doubt 'enhanced interrogation techniques' would be a viable option. Considering how he was arrested at a flight school, I don't think it'd take a genius in the FBI to guess that the planned terrorist attack involved aviation.

For several years after 9/11 the BBC made a sting of doomsday-esque docudramas about life after a major terrorist attack or some other event or string of events. I recall an episode of My Family, a popular sitcom in the early 2000s about a quirky middle class West London family, where they are stuck on a London Underground tube train for hours on end. Even though the episode was a comedy, there was a lingering sense of tension and dread whilst the passengers waited to find out what happened. The general underlying fear of impending doom that was prevalent in British society as a time, something I picked up on as a kid in school, would of course not exist.

Politically in the UK, Tony Blair will eventually full from hubris by 2005 following a string of scandals towards the end of his premiership. That said, he would be nowhere near as toxic as he is in OTL. He would still resign in 2007, as he always wanted to be Prime Minister for only 10 years, brown would still be the same.

Without 9/11 and Iraq, Cheney would probably orient US defence policy to Europe, as he was always a believer in the US maintaining European Defence. This could cause some tensions with Russia especially around the time of the 2005 Ukrainian Protests.

"The reason why we'd like to imagine a world without 9/11 was to think of a world that would've been better because those towers never fell. It's cathartic to believe if we'd prevented 9/11, the issues we face now wouldn't have happened....It's sadder. Istead of our world being a exception because of a dramatic terrorist attack, our world really is something that was going to happen anyway. In this timeline, we just get a decade more of peace",

So aside from being as depressing as all hell, this video by Cody makes me wonder if the absence of 9/11 would've really changed anything in our world, if the events that we recognize as being spawned by 9/11 were just going to happen anyway.

Aside from the détente that we get from there being no War on Terror, is there anything significant that the absence of 9/11 would've changed?

I'm not a fan of Cody's work, but this one takes the cake.

He conveniently skips over the enormous political effects that the War on Terror had on the US, its allies and enemies.

Post 9/11 legislation led to a slew of poorly conceived laws that reduced the freedom of people living across the western world, but especially in the US, caused a backlash among classical liberals (so without 9/11 Wikileaks may not have been a thing and even if it were, it would have been much less supported). Without the poor laws, the US doesn't get one of its most dysfunctional and corrupt government departments created, the Secret Service likely continues to be a functional and elite branch of the Treasury Dept. (meaning we avoid some of their humiliating embarrassments they've had of late) and the world avoids the loss of billions of dollars of time and effort to security theatre.

Likely the Financial Crisis of 2007-2008 is different and happens at a different time - 9/11 took a heavy toll on experienced US financial workers (because financial firms rented so much office space in the Twin Towers). So the big US financial institutions don't have a sudden loss of skilled staff. It's hard to say what impact this would have, my own opinion is that it wouldn't stop the Financial Crisis, but it may delay it by as much as a year. But whether things are delayed by only a few months or more, a delay can have big political impacts.

Here in Britain no Iraq War means the average Briton is still pro-American, Tony Blair isn't a deeply hated figure and liberal interventionism is likely still a popular ideology. "New Labour" isn't a swear word for most people, and the Blairite modernization project for the British left likely leaves a bigger legacy. Islamophobia still exists and likely still increases in the early 21st Century, but it likely won't have such broad appeal, meaning a slower rise of the far right.

France and Germany are certainly more pro-American in this TL. Russian influence likely doesn't grow nearly as much (IMO the rise of Russian influence has been largely down to the US being distracted and discrediting itself in the Middle East, and to a lesser extent simply Russia getting itself sorted out after the disastrous 90s, in TTL, only one of those things would be true).

(Of course, I am making the implicit assumption that without 9/11 Bush II is very much a domestic focused president, which may be derailed by whatever unpredictable events happen in TTL, but I think is on balance the most likely way he'd go.)

If a Syrian civil war does still happen (IMO it is likely), the US and Western Europe still being in favour of liberal interventionism likely means that NATO intervenes in the conflict. IMO Cody is being laughably ignorant when he blithely says that Iraq would fall to civil war. Saddam Hussein and his likely successors are all not going to hesitate to crack down if there is any sign of rebellion. Unlike Assad, who hesitated to crack down when the first sparks of civil war started to fly, and then cracked down too hard too late to maximally discredit himself in the eyes of his people. It would be interesting to see how Saddam's Iraq dealt with the Syrian civil war overflowing into Iraq. I don't see a full breakdown of the Baghdad regime as being likely though.

Without a US invasion of Iraq, Iran is much, much, much less likely to desire nuclear weapons. In OTL it looked like there was a serious risk that the US might invade them since they were named as a member of the "Axis of Evil", in TTL no "Axis" members get invaded, if Bush II even coins that term, so nuclear weapons would seem much higher risk and much less benefit in TTL.

North Korea still wants nukes, of course.

Since this was before 9/11, I doubt 'enhanced interrogation techniques' would be a viable option.

Which is for the good. Torture has repeatedly been shown to be an ineffective interrogation technique.

fasquardon

Without 9/11 and not another war on Iraq in the making, the German election 2002 swings the other way.
Chancellor Edmund Stoiber will have to do all the economic reforms, the SPD swings to the left and absorbs parts of the PDS that is reduced to a regional party.
In 2006 Red-Green wins, maybe even with Lafontaine as new chancellor. If the 2008 financial crisis hits, he declares "war" on financial capitalists.
The Euro is devaluated, and in 2010 the CDU comes back into power under Chancellor Merz.
Angela Merkel will never become chancellor in that TL.
The AfD does not form.
No GroKo.
Yes, very different as in OTL.
Agree with you on 2002 and SPD going left.
2006? Could go so or so, but switching the goverment 3-times in a row seems a bit untypical for Germany.
In no possible universe I see Merz becoming chancellor.
Merkel is one of this people, which keeps their eyes on the priize. Running against the SPD in 2010 or backstabbing Stoiber, somehow she will make it.

lack of financial regulation means great recession happens on schedule due to housing.

no post-9/11 shift GOP-wards for democrats OR the following culture war-related focus means more attention on economics so no obama or HRC. biden or someone else. my guess is we get more done on healthcare and minimal financial regulaiton as opposed to otl's FURTHER deregulation

Agree with you on 2002 and SPD going left.
2006? Could go so or so, but switching the goverment 3-times in a row seems a bit untypical for Germany.
In no possible universe I see Merz becoming chancellor.
Merkel is one of this people, which keeps their eyes on the priize. Running against the SPD in 2010 or backstabbing Stoiber, somehow she will make it.

The further you get away from my he POD, the harder it gets.

Merkel only got her wide popularity being chancellor and she was often lucky to get there.
In 2002 she will either get a ministry, or also lead the parliamentary party as in OTL.
Merz will get a ministry and will have an opportunity to shine there, Merkel did not manage that in 8 years.
Merz can Dodge responsibility for the 2006 defeat, Merkel will have to resign from leading the CDU.
that was what I thought.
Maybe we should start our own thread.

The further you get away from my he POD, the harder it gets.

Merkel only got her wide popularity being chancellor and she was often lucky to get there.
In 2002 she will either get a ministry, or also lead the parliamentary party as in OTL.
Merz will get a ministry and will have an opportunity to shine there, Merkel did not manage that in 8 years.
Merz can Dodge responsibility for the 2006 defeat, Merkel will have to resign from leading the CDU.
that was what I thought.
Maybe we should start our own thread.
Merkel didn´t became chancellor, because she was popular. She kept her eyes on the prize.
In diference to Merz, who started to sulk like a little boy, anytime if something don´t go his way. Thats is the reason he will never be chancellor.
Merkel will definitly lead the parlamentary party. That was, what Stoiber promised her. And with this she already outmanovered Merz.
If the CSU-chairman and chancellor Stoiber will lose in 2006, I don´t see why the CDU-chairman would have to take responsibility or this. Harder will it be for Merz, who in this case will be the face of an unpoular neoliberal economic politic.

Funding for the IRA from naive Americans idealizing them as "freedom fighters" (rather than the baby murdering gangsters and criminals that they really were) would continue - after 9/11, most of these useful idiots realizes that terrorism on your own soil is a Bad Thing and funding dropped like a stone.

Well, that is one good thing that came out of it.

I'm sorry the entire world is dramatically different. The rampant islamaphobia that spread out from the US following 9/11 is likely butterflied. The perceived spectre of terrorism defined the world and its simply not there. The affects that will have on the politics of every country inconceivable.

Last edited: