Does anyone have a definitive source for 18th and 19th century mercenaries?

I like to incorporate soldiers of fortune in my TL's but can't find a good source for them.

I'm referring to the Germans that ran the Portuguese armies in the 18th century (Johan Heinrich Bohm, etc), the French that served the Raj's of India in the 18th and 19th centuries, the British sailors and French soldiers which served in the Latin Wars of Independence or the Latin wars of the 19th century (Sidney Smith, Admiral Brown, John Williams Redollondo, Juan Holzinger, Adrian Woll), the Americans Civil War vets whom served in Egypt in the late 19th century, the foreigners whom served in China during the Taiping Rebellion or Opium Wars, etc, etc.

Wikipedia has them haphazardly here or there but I can't find a good reference book that would list some of these officers whom served to the highest bidder.

Is there some sort of book that exists on this subject?

Thanks for any feedback.

I like to incorporate soldiers of fortune in my TL's but can't find a good source for them.

I'm referring to the Germans that ran the Portuguese armies in the 18th century (Johan Heinrich Bohm, etc), the French that served the Raj's of India in the 18th and 19th centuries, the British sailors and French soldiers which served in the Latin Wars of Independence or the Latin wars of the 19th century (Sidney Smith, Admiral Brown, John Williams Redollondo, Juan Holzinger, Adrian Woll), the Americans Civil War vets whom served in Egypt in the late 19th century, the foreigners whom served in China during the Taiping Rebellion or Opium Wars, etc, etc.

Wikipedia has them haphazardly here or there but I can't find a good reference book that would list some of these officers whom served to the highest bidder.

Is there some sort of book that exists on this subject?

Thanks for any feedback.
Kriegsreisende.de is a blog created by a German historian and author of a monthly history magazin, where mercenaries of various centuries are covered.He did write a book with the same title as well. There are definitely various informations of mercenaries in the 18th and 19th century, background information and biographies. Check it out, it suits your needs.I hope you can somehow translate it into English.

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=...de.de/&usg=AFQjCNHIi8dAUfuX8RtxKmWJ5N3ad0VuGw

Last edited:
You'd probably be best looking at some of the specific conflicts and using them as a starting point. Hessian mercenaries in the ARW are going to be vastly different from e.g. the various men serving in the Force Publique in the Congo Free State. Most of them will have specific works about mercenaries/foreigners in each given war or area, especially if you have access to a good university library.

Kriegsreisende.de is a blog created by a German historian and author of a monthly history magazin, where mercenaries of various centuries are covered.He did write a book with the same title as well. There are definitely various informations of mercenaries in the 18th and 19th century, background information and biographies. Check it out, it suits your needs.I hope you can somehow translate it into English.

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjVj-qs0KrQAhVEkSwKHYuvB9kQFggdMAA&url=http://www.kriegsreisende.de/&usg=AFQjCNHIi8dAUfuX8RtxKmWJ5N3ad0VuGw

Thanks, appreciate it.

Another conflict that you could possibly look into is the Thirty Years War. I have seen bits and pieces about Scottish mercenaries operating during that time period.