Does a Islamic Taiwan affect japan

Does an Islamic Taiwan affect japan

Does an Islamic Taiwan affect japan, what if Taiwan gets Islamicized, I think Ryukyuu/Okinawa will be affected if Taiwan gets islamized because Ryukyuu is near taiwan..

Last edited:
Islam would make a presence in Ryukyuu of course due to the contacts it would have via trade with this hypothetically Islamic Taiwanese people. I don't imagine it becoming the dominant religion of the islands though that may depend on the circumstances on how Islam might penetrate the islands.

all a matter of who it's Islamicized and what that does to Taiwan if it's just an Muslim Island thats part of greater China it's unlikely to change much, but if the Islamification leads to Taiwan becoming it's own nation it may move on the Ryukyu though the Ryūkyū Kingdom didn't become part of Japan till 1879 so I'm not sure if an Islamic Taiwan would do anything to Japan

I guess it depends on when Islam takes Taiwan. The Ryukyus seem likely to convert, but if this happens early enough, Japan might convert as well. It would have a drastic effect on the Japanese State. Since according to legend, the Emperor was descended from the Sun Goddess (or some divine being), a Muslim Japan would do away with that quickly, which means they might just do away with the Emperor altogether.

I guess it depends on when Islam takes Taiwan. The Ryukyus seem likely to convert, but if this happens early enough, Japan might convert as well. It would have a drastic effect on the Japanese State. Since according to legend, the Emperor was descended from the Sun Goddess (or some divine being), a Muslim Japan would do away with that quickly, which means they might just do away with the Emperor altogether.

I find that unlikely since the Japanese never seemed to be the kind of people to convert and stay faithful to one single religion though I am merely taking the example of the introduction of Christianity.

POD of this would be if the european exploration and colonization in asia gets delayed and islam spreads to the Taiwanese Aborigines but would that affect the Ryukyuu and Japan..

I don't think there was enough contact between Taiwan and Japan in the pre-modern era for the religious habits of the native Taiwanese to be affecting a much larger (in population as well as geography) Japan. Of course, it's plausible that whatever led to an Islamic Taiwan could also influence Japan, but then we'd have to flesh out why and how Taiwan is Islamic all of a sudden.

You'd need either need a more fleshed out trade relationship (though I don't know what of) or full-out conquest by either Japan or China rather than simple tributary status in order to bring Taiwan into the greater 'civilized' sphere of things. Otherwise, just not enough people moving from Taiwan to Japan for there to be an effect.

Keenir

Banned

nah....it might be reinterpretted as a pre-Mohammad prophet[ess] whose descendants are the Royal Family.

I don't think there was enough contact between Taiwan and Japan in the pre-modern era for the religious habits of the native Taiwanese to be affecting a much larger (in population as well as geography) Japan. Of course, it's plausible that whatever led to an Islamic Taiwan could also influence Japan, but then we'd have to flesh out why and how Taiwan is Islamic all of a sudden.

You'd need either need a more fleshed out trade relationship (though I don't know what of) or full-out conquest by either Japan or China rather than simple tributary status in order to bring Taiwan into the greater 'civilized' sphere of things. Otherwise, just not enough people moving from Taiwan to Japan for there to be an effect.

The question is how an islamic taiwan will interact with it's neighbor countries..

The question is how an islamic taiwan will interact with it's neighbor countries..

Yes, and my statement ( i apologize if it wasn't clear) was basically that Taiwan, Islamic or not, did and would not interact much. That is, unless we flesh out why/how Taiwan became Islamic, which might along the way change the interaction and influence patterns in the area.

Yes, and my statement ( i apologize if it wasn't clear) was basically that Taiwan, Islamic or not, did and would not interact much. That is, unless we flesh out why/how Taiwan became Islamic, which might along the way change the interaction and influence patterns in the area.
It becomes islamic because Maritime South East Asia becomes heavily Islamicised..

Pretty much depends on the POD. Taiwan becoming Islamic would probably be a little later than that of the spread of Islam to the Philippines in the late 14th century. So probably somewhere around the early to late 15th century for it to dominate Taiwan.

The problem is that Taiwan wasn't an active trading partner to Japan compared to China, Taiwan, and the European powers. And it's likely that Islam would be treated in the same way as Christianity was in OTL.

Pretty much depends on the POD. Taiwan becoming Islamic would probably be a little later than that of the spread of Islam to the Philippines in the late 14th century. So probably somewhere around the early to late 15th century for it to dominate Taiwan.

The problem is that Taiwan wasn't an active trading partner to Japan compared to China, Taiwan, and the European powers. And it's likely that Islam would be treated in the same way as Christianity was in OTL.
You can actually have the people of the Island of Manila have more closer relations to the people of Sumatra and Malaya Peninsula especially on the Sultanates of Pasai and later Malacca..

If anyone wants to create a timeline from this thread you are free to do so.
:)